-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Warner Upcoming BDs in 2013!

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#61 of 124 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,704 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 30 2012 - 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

There are, by my count, the following WB owned titles left:

Mr. and Mrs. Smith (1941)

Suspicion (1941)

Stage Fright (1950)

I Confess (1953)

The Wrong Man (1956)

I don't see these as being terribly high on Warner's priorities for films of the 40s-50s. I Confess is probably the only one I'd buy myself, but I'd put Suspicion or The Wrong Man as the best bet to make it out on Blu. Maybe if their MOD Blu-ray program gets up and running.

It would be sad if the Warners Hitchcock films were relegated to a MOD program instead of seeing a release in retail boxset like they were previously.

#62 of 124 mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Second Unit

• 456 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted October 30 2012 - 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Russell G 

It would be sad if the Warners Hitchcock films were relegated to a MOD program instead of seeing a release in retail boxset like they were previously.

Agreed. As a 5 disc set this likely wouldn't sell much, but if they included the 3 titles already released with them...and maybe an added bonus title like Under Capricorn it would generate more interest.

#63 of 124 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,144 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted October 30 2012 - 05:37 AM

And then of the rest of the WB box set, 3 are on Blu (Dial M, Strangers and N by NW) and Foreign Correspondent is with Criterion now.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#64 of 124 ShellOilJunior

ShellOilJunior

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 06:02 AM

I'm in for several of those. Has there been any word on Yankee Doodle Dandy?

#65 of 124 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,132 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 30 2012 - 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Russell G 

Blu-ray MODs would more than likely be pressed, though (BD-Rs are far too unreliable when compared to DVD-Rs), so it would mostly be just a matter of needing to order directly from Warner.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#66 of 124 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,144 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 07:24 AM

Do you have info on that Brandon or is that your speculation? It's not really "Manufacture on Demand" if they are pressed discs, but I could see then doing very small runs of 500-1000 and doing it MOD style. I thought that the reason BD MOD was waiting was to get the BD-R to be more reliable actually...

#67 of 124 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,132 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 30 2012 - 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein 

Do you have info on that Brandon or is that your speculation?
It's not really "Manufacture on Demand" if they are pressed discs, but I could see then doing very small runs of 500-1000 and doing it MOD style.
I thought that the reason BD MOD was waiting was to get the BD-R to be more reliable actually...

Just speculation due to general experience with BD-R media. It's the reality of the format. From a technical standpoint, BD-Rs with AACS (a primary BD copy protection) do not load on the Playstation 3 and a handful of other players. That alone would likely prevent them from being BD-Rs.

Then there are some BD players that don't play BD-Rs regardless.

Also, the design of the Blu-ray is reliant on the hard coating for scratch protection. The disc data is right on the surface and even more susceptible to damage than DVD-Rs. The cost of replacing customer's scratched BD-Rs would be far more pricey (as well as more common) than replacing customers DVD-Rs.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#68 of 124 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,144 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 07:50 AM

I would guess you're correct, was just hoping you'd heard something ;)

#69 of 124 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,233 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 12:40 PM

Suspicion on BD would seem like a natural.  It's a highly enjoyable film with Cary Grant, Joan Fontaine and Nigel Bruce.  I'll Confess (pun intended) that the others would only appeal to Hitch completists such as myself.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#70 of 124 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,361 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted October 30 2012 - 11:16 PM

So Warner, where are the westerns?

#71 of 124 Oliver Siegel

Oliver Siegel

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 02:35 AM

So Warner, where are the westerns?

+1. Any of these would be great : Wayne :She Wore a Yellow Ribbon,3 Godfathers Peckinpah : The Ballad of Cable Hogue,Ride the High Country,Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid The Naked Spur McCabe and Mrs. Miller The Westerner The Lusty Men

#72 of 124 Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 833 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 04:26 AM

The Ballad of Cable Hogue,Ride the High Country,Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid McCabe and Mrs. Miller

Yes, please, please, please!

#73 of 124 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:13 AM

Yes, Warner Brothers, bring on the westerns. Take advantage of the opportunity to reinstate the missing scene between Garrett and his wife into the director's workprint of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. Give us a nice new clean HD scan of the workprint as well. And have the integrity to correct the wilfully mis-timed The Searchers, while you're at it.

#74 of 124 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,361 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Richard--W 

Yes, Warner Brothers, bring on the westerns.
Take advantage of the opportunity to reinstate the missing scene between Garrett and his wife into the director's workprint of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. Give us a nice new clean HD scan of the workprint as well.
And have the integrity to correct the wilfully mis-timed The Searchers, while you're at it.

Please, let's not publicly question their integrity as that's rude behavior.  Furthermore, last week in my conversations with Warner, I brought that title up along with Rio Bravo regarding the color and they're aware of what they have to do in the next BD releases.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#75 of 124 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,361 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted October 31 2012 - 08:01 AM

Oh well if we're doing a little list of westerns, here's 12 that just takes us up to the late 50's, winners all: They Died With Their Boots On Northwest Passage Dodge City Pursued Three Godfathers Colorado Territory She Wore A Yellow Ribbon Wagon Master Across The Wide Missouri The Big Sky The Naked Spur The Last Hunt I'm glad Warners are aware of the odd colour of The Searchers. I don't always agree with Richard--W & Hainshisway about colour (I think the DVD of She Wore A yellow Ribbon looks great), but The Searchers is wrong, & The Wild Bunch doesn't look as good as it should do. Warners have a huge list of films & although we're always grateful for what we get, we're never satisfied, but that's a good thing. Oh, I've just noticed, no war movies on the list (apart from the silent The Big Parade). I hope Blu-ray (& me) stay around long enough for some of these films to get released.

#76 of 124 Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 833 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 08:06 AM

The Wild Bunch doesn't look as good as it should do.

Color timing is far from the only reason The Wild Bunch doesn't look its best on BD.

#77 of 124 Oliver Siegel

Oliver Siegel

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 09:01 AM

Oh well if we're doing a little list of westerns, here's 12 that just takes us up to the late 50's, winners all: Pursued .

http://www.blu-ray.c...-Blu-ray/45915/

#78 of 124 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,361 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted October 31 2012 - 10:45 PM

Thanks for that Oliver, I thought I was on top of all the releases, but some are sneaking through.

#79 of 124 Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter

• 1,379 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 05:43 PM

Count me in for: Driving Miss Daisy Little Caesar The Public Enemy The Petrified Forest White Heat Enter the Dragon (40th Anniversary)(New Transfer?) Goodfellas (New Transfer?)

#80 of 124 Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 833 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 04:46 AM

Enter the Dragon (40th Anniversary)(New Transfer?) Goodfellas (New Transfer?)

If they aren't new transfers, I'll be letting the rotten eggs fly!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users