What's new

Wreck-It Ralph - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Disney screened "Wreck-It Ralph" in 3D for our entire HTF Meet group last week, and it was a solid offering. The premise of the film is that our favorite video game characters actually have lives outside of their "game play" work days, and once the games are over for the day in arcades, they interact with one another, based on their relation to one another in game play. Wreck-It Ralph feels unloved and misunderstood because he's the antagonist of the game, always creating damage and havoc, while Felix the Fixer, being the protagonist, garners all the love from the supporting cast of characters in the game.
So, delving into the psychology of videogame characters, "Wreck-It Ralph" slides in and out of various types of videogames (older generations and newer generations spanning 30 years of videogames) as Wreck-It Ralph goes on a journey to capture an elusive achievement, and brings together a better understanding between all the various characters, and even packs a bit of heart in its conclusion.
It runs a little long in spots, but the 3D was easy on the eyes, while creating a visually immersive environment, and overall adding to the film's look and feel. While the film is aimed at a young audience who enjoy videogames, even older videogamers will enjoy the film, though Sarah Silverman's voice-acting might be a little too over-the-top for some.
I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
"Wreck-It Ralph" opens wide on November 2, 2012.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree with Patrick and thought this was a very good film. My rating would be slightly higher than Patrick's with maybe a 3.5

Crawdaddy

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Enjoyed it as well at the screening I saw. Dialed for a younger age than a Pixar movie it was still a lot of fun. They really made Ralph and the little girl into relateable characters.
The 3D was very well done and the animation was gorgeous at times.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I also got to see this at Disney.
In 3D.
I thought this movie was a lot of fun and for any video game fan like myself, will really enjoy it.
Had great 3D and was very pleasing. Just enough in your face moments and most importantly terrific depth.
I can really see them making this into a franchise.
I can also see where they would go with a sequel.
I thought that it did miss one video game reference regarding the bad guy.
They could have
had the good characters try to beat the bad guy but couldn't until they saw a pattern in his attacks.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I caught a sneak preview a couple of days ago - I had a blast. I suspect that your enjoyment of the flick will be in direct proportion to how many quarters you dropped into Pac Man, Mr Do and Galaxian back in the day. It's very much worth renting so you can freeze frame all the backgrounds and find the cameos (Pong!) and Easter eggs ("All your base are belong to us") and so on. And I loved the way that the citizens from Ralph's game were rendered in sexy CGI but still moved like they were in an 8-bit game.
I hated the 3D. Oh man, the sooner this fad goes away the better I'll like it. Seeing that it was free, I cant complain too much, but I had a headache the rest of the night.
I guess the most glowing endorsement of how good the film was: the kids. Theater half full of younglings and narly a peep from them all. If it was good enough to enthrall them for 2 hours, it's good enough for me to give a stamp of approval to!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
We watched in 2D, and I'd recommend it. Brilliant, bright and so full of color, who would want to diminish how bright this film is with shades?

The fam LOVED it, and I admit, this film had a little bit of the real magic to it, bringing to mind some of my favorite moments of "Iron Giant", "Up!" and other vehicles. This is a story that could have been very surface level but turned into a surprisingly well fleshed out vehicle that had a lot of likable characters and some great family moments.

I've always said Pixar had the touch, but frankly, this year if I were to chose between "Brave" and "Wreck it Ralph" I would tell you the Mouse House had the magic, and this is their year to stand out.

A

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Wreckit-It Ralph was fantastically fun. The beginning approached being "Toy Story" for the video game generation, as an homage and its attention to detail to these modern toys. While I don't think it will be the classic Toy Story is, it was a great movie experience.
The 3D was great, but it would be fine without.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I thought this was a great movie and will probably take my kids to it next weekend. I thought the 3D was very well done.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I didn't find this one too dark in 3D at Disney Studios. Saw it again with friends in 2D the other night at the local AMC. The repeat viewing was every bit as enjoyable as the first, and I do look forward to seeing it again sometime in 3D. Agree it's not quite Toy Story level, but I very much like its inner world of video games -- which, in a way, even owes a little something to Tron.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It looks like Disney is really benefiting from the Pixar influence. Tangled was fun, but Wreck It Ralph is something completely different. Different in a colorful, "out there" kinda way. Very very fun with great characters and a setting ripe for a sequel.

The Magical Definitions podcast (all Disney all the time) mentions how the folks in the studio consider this to be a new golden age of Disney films: WIR is Little Mermaid and Frozen is Beauty and the Beast. THAT makes me all the more excited for next year.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I saw it last night, and I was really impressed, not just with how well the old school video game references were incorporated into the story without overtaking it, but with the film as a whole. The voice acting was great (Vanellope steals the show in most of her scenes, and I thought her story was even more compelling than Ralph's). If there was any doubt in my mind that Disney was "back," it's gone as of last night.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by MatthewA /t/324772/wreck-it-ralph-quick-review#post_3997526
I saw it last night, and I was really impressed, not just with how well the old school video game references were incorporated into the story without overtaking it, but with the film as a whole. The voice acting was great (Vanellope steals the show in most of her scenes, and I thought her story was even more compelling than Ralph's). If there was any doubt in my mind that Disney was "back," it's gone as of last night.

Vanellope's storyline was the one that moved the plot forward and gave Ralph a chance to find the redemption he needed and the kind of character he wanted to be. I thought these were two storylines that went together extremely well. But Vanellope moments were great, all of them.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My favorite sequence was "Bug Hunt". That sequence threw me back 15 years, when I was gangbusters into Quake 2 and Unreal Tournament, playing every weekend LAN games against my roommate. The music and feel of roving through the 3D landscape gave me a visceral reaction.

Sugar Rush -- while I was never a Mario Kart player -- I loved N64's Beetle Adventure Racing, and it echoed that some. Though I wanted a little more retro soundtrack to make it complete :)

And of course Fix-it Felix, brings back fond memories of Rampage.

I don't know how this movie will age. it was a little "Shrek" in places, with the silly kid insults.

But, like the underrated "Cars", it was a pure delight to watch. Through force of pure emotion and nostalgia, the experience transcended the script and acting. It's not my favorite movie, nor the best of Disney. But I look forward to re-watching Wreck-it Ralph, particularly when I'm out of the apartment and can crank the surround sound in the basement :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm the only one who wasn't impressed by the film. Love the concept but thought the execution was... meh. I just never felt especially involved in the story/characters and the events weren't as fun as they should've been. Felt like a wasted concept to me...

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I thought Ralph was very well fleshed out as a character and voiced deftly by Reilly. I did find the other characters mere chariactures.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Finally got around to seeing this movie, and loved it very much. Though this is coming from someone who used to waste a lot of money and brain cells at the arcade.

And to think, this is actually the first video game movie that has gotten good reviews, as oppose to others, which have gotten rotten reviews.

Never thought I would see a Mortal Kombat fatality in a Disney movie.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Walter C /t/324772/wreck-it-ralph-quick-review#post_4011150
Though this is coming from someone who used to waste a lot of money and brain cells at the arcade.

I think that helps the viewing experience...a lot. Current and former gamers will probably enjoy it more than everyone else BUT the movie is still very fun.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Kind of surprising how dark some of the themes in this film were, underneath all of the "sugar coating" of Sugar Rush. I actually thought this was a better film than SKYFALL in some respects.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Clark Spencer, the Producer or Wreck it Ralph introduced the film when they screened it. According to him we were one of the first audiences to see it in 3D and it didn't dissapoint.

Clark Spencer, Producer: Thank you for finding time for watching this film. The Director Rich Moore comes to Disney from the Simpsons where he was one of the first five original writers. Rich also loves to tell stories with and emotional heart. That's truly going to be the surprise of this film when you watch it. And as you probably know its set in the world of video games and it's an interesting thing because Rich loved video games as a kid. So it's a world we wanted to explore, but it is also a world that's existed for about 35 years. As a result, people who are in their 40's and 50's remember playing those original games like Pong, Donkey Kong and the Did Dug, so there's something for that crowd as well as all the way up to today's kids themselves who are playing games like Mario Kart and Halo type games. So there is something for everybody exploring this world.

And when we go into we're going to go four very different video game world, we start it with Fix-it Felix Jr., it’s a 1980's 8-bit video game. And we wanted the animation in the art direction the each of these worlds to feel completely different. So in the world of Fix-it Felix Jr. the animation is very staccato. The characters move from post to post very quickly and the art direction is extremely simple. Then we go from the world of Fix-it Felix Jr. to the world of Hero's Duty. And Hero's Duty is a modern first person shooter game. So in that game, the animation is hyper realistic and the art direction is very complex and it’s very gritty and dark. From the world of Hero's Duty, we're going to go to world of Sugar Rush. And Sugar Rush is a 1990's Mario Kart style racing games set in a world entirely of candy. And so this world is very whimsical in terms of its art direction and the animation is very cartoony. We actually bring in the principles of 2D animation of Squash and Stretch into the computer itself and put it into that world.

So each of these worlds is almost like you've gone into a different movie, and then the fourth world is the world of game central station. And to you and I that’s nothing more than a big prime industrial power strip, but to our video game characters it's actually how they can travel through those cords into that power strip itself and it's kind of like Grant Central Terminal. It's a big train station where all the characters hang out during the night. And that world we really based it on the true lighting and look of Grand Central Station. So each of those worlds feels completely different and I think the detail is pretty phenomenal as you watch the film in terms of all those aspects.

Last what I want to say is you're actually one of the first audiences to see this in 3D. You know, we finished it about a week ago in 3D and some movies lend themselves a 3D and some don't. This one really does in a huge way because we're going to these vast huge worlds and because the amount of details. So I’m very excited that we have that opportunity today to share with you in 3D. So with that I'm going to let you hopefully enjoy the film and I appreciate you taking the time. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks