Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Laura" Blu-ray Release on February 5th!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#121 of 140 OFFLINE   Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter

• 1,058 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted February 10 2013 - 10:44 AM

I'm not seeing any complaints about the audio in user reviews on Amazon, nor in other professional reviews. I can understand that it may not be perfect, but I don't think the audio flutter is the reason it's been pulled by Amazon.

#122 of 140 OFFLINE   jsteed

jsteed

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 10:48 AM

I have watched the sequence in question, and didn't notice any audio flutter either.

#123 of 140 OFFLINE   Trentrunner

Trentrunner

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 10:51 AM

There's nothing erroneous about the cover. Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney are the stars of the movie. Just because Tierney is retouched near to bland oblivion does not turn her into Deanna Durbin or Linda Darnell. And it's certainly no reason for Amazon to pull it. Gotta be some other reason.

#124 of 140 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,320 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 10 2013 - 10:54 AM

^ Maybe Fox's copy protection is causing problems on some players? If Amazon keeps getting reports of problems, they'd pull the disc.

#125 of 140 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,372 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted February 10 2013 - 01:00 PM

There is definitely wow in the music track. Flutter is something else.

#126 of 140 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,071 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted February 10 2013 - 01:05 PM

Amazon pulled it.

#127 of 140 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 10 2013 - 02:22 PM

Somebody mentioned that a couple posts back. I'm hoping that I can get to a Sam's to snag one for under $10 as someone else also mentioned earlier.
facebook.com/whotony

#128 of 140 OFFLINE   Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter

• 1,058 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted February 10 2013 - 02:27 PM

Somebody on another forum has this to say about the possible reason for Laura being pulled from Amazon:

The subtitles on the mini-documentaries of Gene Tierney, Vincent Price, and the film are screwed up. They appear sporadically, and when they do, they show up in a huge font literally in the middle-right of the screen

Anybody here able to confirm this? It's a complete non-issue for me, as I rarely watch extras, and never with subtitles anyway. Still, I can understand that it would affect some people, and if it is the reason why Amazon has ceased sale, at least it's more substantive than problems with cover art.

#129 of 140 OFFLINE   Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 702 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 05:21 AM

Correct, also there is a Behlmer commentary on the deleted scene which included in the film is the extended version of the film. Crawdaddy

After watching the extended version, I watched just the deleted scene w/ the commentary. I only heard Behlmer say one or two sentences, then silence. Is this another glitch, or is that all he said about this scene? I hadn't watched the movie since I got the DVD several years ago. The deleted scene didn't seem new, so I assume the DVD was the extended cut, too. Am I right?

#130 of 140 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,048 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 11 2013 - 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Otte 

After watching the extended version, I watched just the deleted scene w/ the commentary. I only heard Behlmer say one or two sentences, then silence. Is this another glitch, or is that all he said about this scene?

I hadn't watched the movie since I got the DVD several years ago. The deleted scene didn't seem new, so I assume the DVD was the extended cut, too. Am I right?

Actually the deleted scene is rather short so a couple of sentences as to why it was deleted should have suffice.

Yes, it was on the DVD.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#131 of 140 OFFLINE   Escapay

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted February 11 2013 - 08:05 AM

I've always wondered why the deleted scene on the DVD has such an abrupt beginning to Behlmer's commentary (which is more an audio introduction into what was actually deleted), and it wasn't until the Blu-Ray came out that I was able to hear the commentary in full. The DVD actually omitted a few seconds from the beginning of the scene, which is where Behlmer's commentary was. The Blu-Ray restores those few seconds, and also adds about a minute more of the scene, even though by then, it's no longer any deleted material. On the DVD: -do described how he selected Laura's clothing and hairstyle, making her an extension of himself. The news item explains that 20th Century Fox was worried that declaration would offend World War II soldiers overseas with its depiction of decadent luxury and non-military obsessions happening on the home front. On the Blu-Ray: A June 9th, 1990 Hollywood Reporter news item reported that two minutes of footage that had been cut from the film was restored. Waldo described how he selected Laura's clothing and hairstyle, making her an extension of himself. The news item explains that 20th Century Fox was worried that declaration would offend World War II soldiers overseas with its depiction of decadent luxury and non-military obsessions happening on the home front. Strangely, when you listen to the Basinger/Raksin commentary during that scene (in the theatrical version of the film), she's actually making commentary about the deleted scene as if she were watching it. I never understood why Fox didn't allow that commentary to be included on the deleted scene as well... Waldo now tells how he shaped Laura's career. We see Laura grow. (Raksin: He's talking about Laura, of course. So the music is playing the tune, and it's supposed to add a little glamour.) This material was cut from the original release. In it, we see how absolutely <> important Waldo was in shaping Laura's grooming, her clothes, the people she meets, et cetera. Gene Tierney is exquisitely beautiful in this montage. We see Laura beginning to dress in a more sophisticated way. We return to Waldo to remind ourselves that he is the person telling us about Laura and shaping our image of her. But Zanuck felt this was too much of a fashion parade and that it deterred the storytelling process.

#132 of 140 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,048 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 12 2013 - 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

On my display, it was beautiful.  I'm sure there will be others to take issue with this BD as there seemingly always is, but I'm very happy with what I viewed today.

Like clock-work, the naysayers of this BD have come out to voice their issues.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#133 of 140 OFFLINE   larryKR

larryKR

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 05:24 AM

Well I can certainly say that this BD didn't look beautiful on my display (60" pany plasma). Parts of the movie look decent and then there is poor contrast in other parts. It is what it is, and this is the best we will ever get.

#134 of 140 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,048 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 12 2013 - 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by larryKR 

Well I can certainly say that this BD didn't look beautiful on my display (60" pany plasma). Parts of the movie look decent and then there is poor contrast in other parts. It is what it is, and this is the best we will ever get.

Thankfully, my viewing experience isn't like yours.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#135 of 140 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 06:58 AM

I seriously hope Fox hasn't pulled the release like they did with the Titanic (1953) BD last year.

#136 of 140 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,121 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

Like clock-work, the naysayers of this BD have come out to voice their issues.

Crawdaddy

Isn't that the pont? Posted Image

As much as I love having this on blu-ray I GET the reservations many people have about calling the disc stellar.  It's directly related to the elements themselves, specifically the dupey sections coming into and out of dissolves and opticals.  Unlike most black and white films of the era (that jump mid shot into dupe sections right before an optical effect and then right back out again) this one, for some reason, uses the Technicolor standard of having duped sections from one "clean cut" to the next.  Couple that with the fact that Preminger favors quite long takes with maximum camera mobility and that's a lot of duped material which is noticeably (and perhaps irretrievably) of a lesser quality.  Sometimes the disc looks positively stunning, sometimes it looks very good, sometimes it looks just okay and on SOME occasions (the first outdoor shots of Laura's apartment house, Waldo and MacPherson walking into Ann Treadwell's apartment, and the moments immediately following MacPherson slugging Shelby come to mind) it's downright awful, with contrast levels that are baked beyond all recognition and ALL part of duped sections revolving around optical effects.

I understand WHY it looks the way it does which is why the fact that it isn't "perfect" doesn't really bother me, but I can't pretend it's exquisite just to please you (though I wish I could Posted Image)

#137 of 140 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,048 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 12 2013 - 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Will Krupp 

Isn't that the pont? Posted Image

As much as I love having this on blu-ray I GET the reservations many people have about calling the disc stellar.  It's directly related to the elements themselves, specifically the dupey sections coming into and out of dissolves and opticals.  Unlike most black and white films of the era (that jump mid shot into dupe sections right before an optical effect and then right back out again) this one, for some reason, uses the Technicolor standard of having duped sections from one "clean cut" to the next.  Couple that with the fact that Preminger favors quite long takes with maximum camera mobility and that's a lot of duped material which is noticeably (and perhaps irretrievably) of a lesser quality.  Sometimes the disc looks positively stunning, sometimes it looks very good, sometimes it looks just okay and on SOME occasions (the first outdoor shots of Laura's apartment house, Waldo and MacPherson walking into Ann Treadwell's apartment, and the moments immediately following MacPherson slugging Shelby come to mind) it's downright awful, with contrast levels that are baked beyond all recognition and ALL part of duped sections revolving around optical effects.

I understand WHY it looks the way it does which is why the fact that it isn't "perfect" doesn't really bother me, but I can't pretend it's exquisite just to please you (though I wish I could Posted Image)

My point is there is hasn't been any BD released that's been without some PQ complaints from somebody.  Nothing to get excited about, just noted the prediction I made before complaints about too much brightness being an issue.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#138 of 140 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 938 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted February 13 2013 - 10:00 AM

I have the DVD which I think is pretty good and find I am hesitating following the comments on here. My benchmarks for b&w picture quality are Casablanca and The Big Heat. Fox (and us) need this to be a good seller if others we want are to follow.

#139 of 140 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,338 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted February 15 2013 - 09:01 AM

Did anyone confirm why this was pulled from availability by Amazon, citing problems?

#140 of 140 ONLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,671 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 04:27 PM

Laura is back up for sale on Amazon. Currently listed at $16.79

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users