-

Photo
- - - - -

"Laura" Blu-ray Release on February 5th!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#41 of 140 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,677 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 06:25 AM

I'm pretty sure there will be a separate release for each. The only films I recall that were released together on blu-ray as a double feature solely based on a connecting theme in the subject matter was the debut of In Cold Blood and Capote. A separate release for In Cold Blood didn't come until about a year or so later.

#42 of 140 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,704 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 27 2012 - 09:03 AM

I'm pretty sure there will be a separate release for each. The only films I recall that were released together on blu-ray as a double feature solely based on a connecting theme in the subject matter was the debut of In Cold Blood and Capote. A separate release for In Cold Blood didn't come until about a year or so later.

Except the HTF group met with Warner and Paramount executives that are saying intra-studio releases within a common genre is probably going to happen next year. In short, I got it from the horse's mouth with it said to me more than once from different people. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#43 of 140 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,704 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 27 2012 - 09:09 AM

I'm curious. Other than a few films and their direct sequels (usually horror or sci-fi), what films debuted on Blu-Ray as part of a double feature? And in this case (Stalag 17 and The Dirty Dozen), what links these together. Sure they both take place during World War II. But one (TDD) is an action film, and one (S17) is more a suspense/drama with comedy. They don't share directors or cast. David

David, Those two titles together are probably not in concrete, but were mention as an example of a joint marketing release. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#44 of 140 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,704 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 27 2012 - 09:15 AM

One last thing, more discussions between Warner and Paramount will have to take place before the list of titles is finalized. My prior sentence needs to be fully understood before anybody gets their panties in a bunch about any particular title(s). Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#45 of 140 OFFLINE   Didier R

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 09:32 AM

I'm all for Stalag 17/The Dirty Dozen BD double feature! Can we expect it next year?Thx.

#46 of 140 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,559 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 01:40 PM

I'm all for Stalag 17 on Blu-ray, however I can get it.

#47 of 140 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,622 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 08:07 AM

How Green Was My Valley, Gentlemen's Agreement, and Wild River just went up for sale on Amazon - currently at $17.49 David

#48 of 140 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 09:31 AM

I placed my order in for Laura last week at Amazon. Bill Hunt has the Amazon listing i used that for the order. I now have to decide to order same day release from Amazon fo I have waited for this movie for such a long time and my DVD gets a great deal of use. I think the worst was when ABC made it into a movie of the week in 1968 and even using the Laura theme. We then flash forward to the last season of Mannix where the writers are running out of ideas and use it in a 1 hour Mannix episode.

#49 of 140 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 09:31 AM

I placed my order in for Laura last week at Amazon. Bill Hunt has the Amazon listing i used that for the order. I now have to decide to order same day release from Amazon fo I have waited for this movie for such a long time and my DVD gets a great deal of use. I think the worst was when ABC made it into a movie of the week in 1968 and even using the Laura theme. We then flash forward to the last season of Mannix where the writers are running out of ideas and use it in a 1 hour Mannix episode. http://www.thedigitalbits.com/ Here you can make the Amazon pre order Mannix last season of the show. Joe finds time to fall in love this season in a story that’s very indebted to the movie Laura with Joe falling for an assumed dead woman in a picture who’s actually very much alive. The growing drug problem in the http://www.imdb.com/...ef_=fn_tt_tt_37 The ABC movie of the week bomb

#50 of 140 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted December 18 2012 - 04:06 PM

Laura the cover does not even look like Gene Tierney. I am glad I am getting the movie so no debate from me. I want now Leave Her To Heaven Razors Edge The Ghost and Mrs Muir

#51 of 140 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,310 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 19 2012 - 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Collins 

Laura the cover does not even look like Gene Tierney. I am glad I am getting the movie so no debate from me. I want now Leave Her To Heaven Razors Edge The Ghost and Mrs Muir

Absolutely! Every one of those is a classic and every one of them should be on Blu-ray.

#52 of 140 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,961 posts

Posted January 25 2013 - 04:11 PM

I placed my order in for Laura last week at Amazon. Bill Hunt has the Amazon listing i used that for the order. I now have to decide to order same day release from Amazon fo I have waited for this movie for such a long time and my DVD gets a great deal of use. I think the worst was when ABC made it into a movie of the week in 1968 and even using the Laura theme. We then flash forward to the last season of Mannix where the writers are running out of ideas and use it in a 1 hour Mannix episode. http://www.thedigitalbits.com/ Here you can make the Amazon pre order Mannix last season of the show. Joe finds time to fall in love this season in a story that’s very indebted to the movie Laura with Joe falling for an assumed dead woman in a picture who’s actually very much alive. The growing drug problem in the http://www.imdb.com/...ef_=fn_tt_tt_37 The ABC movie of the week bomb

The Mannix episode sounds pretty good. Where did they get that odd photo for the cover?

#53 of 140 OFFLINE   Filmgazer

Filmgazer

Agent

• 27 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted January 25 2013 - 04:17 PM

Hi, Robert! Click on link below to see Gary Tooze's review of "Laura" in Blu-ray that he posted on his website (DVD Beaver). His sharp eye caught the fact that someone at Fox Home Video made a major blunder in the Blu-ray cover art and, apparently, the menus and actual disc art as well. That is definitely NOT Gene Tierney in the arms of Dana Andrews! It looks more like Linda Darnell wearing a blonde wig. Only thing is, Darnell and Andrews only made two movies together – “Fallen Angel” and “Centennial Summer” – and in both, Darnell has her natural brunette hair color. Maybe the photo’s a composite? Regardless, somebody at Fox goofed! ;-) Louis http://www.dvdbeaver...ws10/laura_.htm

#54 of 140 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted January 30 2013 - 06:11 AM

Looking at the screenshots on DVD-Beaver I'm very disappointed, the image is much too bright especially for a Film noir. The image is also notably cropped on the sides and the top. The Blu-ray only has slightly more image at the bottom. I have the R1 and R2 DVD editions of Laura and they are both excellent so I will stick to them. I'm also not planning to buy all 26 Fox Noirs again on Blu-ray, I'm not a millionaire... Furthermore I'm not yet totally convinced that 4:3 black 'n' white movies look great on Blu-ray. They are certainly not as big an improvement as Cinemascope color westerns from the 50's! And the cover art is really bad, I mean REALLY bad!

#55 of 140 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,704 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 30 2013 - 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Martin Zandstra 

Looking at the screenshots on DVD-Beaver I'm very disappointed,
the image is much too bright especially for a Film noir.

The image is also notably cropped on the sides and the top.
The Blu-ray only has slightly more image at the bottom.

I have the R1 and R2 DVD editions of Laura and they are both excellent
so I will stick to them.

I'm also not planning to buy all 26 Fox Noirs again on Blu-ray, I'm not a millionaire...

Furthermore I'm not yet totally convinced that 4:3 black 'n' white movies
look great on Blu-ray.

They are certainly not as big an improvement as Cinemascope color westerns from the 50's!

And the cover art is really bad, I mean REALLY bad!

To each his own, but I see a big difference between such films on the two different video formats.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#56 of 140 ONLINE   kingofthejungle

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 07:27 AM

To each his own, but I see a big difference between such films on the two different video formats. Crawdaddy

Absolutely - especially when viewed as a projected image rather than on a TV set. On a large screen, the minute details captured on Blu (better rendering of faces especially) immeasurably enhance my enjoyment of a movie.

#57 of 140 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,054 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

To each his own, but I see a big difference between such films on the two different video formats.

Crawdaddy

I see quite a difference with black and white movies betwen the formats as well, but I do get his point about LAURA's screencaps appearing overly overlly bright.  I love this movie so I'm getting no matter what and will reserve judgement until I see it playing on my setup but that was my first thought too.

#58 of 140 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,294 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 30 2013 - 11:04 AM

Looking at the screenshots on DVD-Beaver I'm very disappointed, the image is much too bright especially for a Film noir. The image is also notably cropped on the sides and the top. The Blu-ray only has slightly more image at the bottom. I have the R1 and R2 DVD editions of Laura and they are both excellent so I will stick to them. I'm also not planning to buy all 26 Fox Noirs again on Blu-ray, I'm not a millionaire... Furthermore I'm not yet totally convinced that 4:3 black 'n' white movies look great on Blu-ray. They are certainly not as big an improvement as Cinemascope color westerns from the 50's! And the cover art is really bad, I mean REALLY bad!

Apparently you haven't learned the lesson yet: Don't look at screen caps anywhere, let alone the Beaver's site - none of his caps resemble at all what's actually on the disc (this is well known everywhere) and especially comparing them to the previous vide caps he has up). I'm sure Fox has done a good job with this title and I'm sure it will look wonderful on Blu-ray. And I cannot imagine you cannot see the huge leap in quality from a 4.3 Black-and-white DVD to a well-done Blu-ray transfer. Really.

#59 of 140 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,294 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 30 2013 - 11:04 AM

I see quite a difference with black and white movies betwen the formats as well, but I do get his point about LAURA's screencaps appearing overly overlly bright.  I love this movie so I'm getting no matter what and will reserve judgement until I see it playing on my setup but that was my first thought too.

"Appearing" overly bright - on the Beaver's site. Why do people keep playing this game?

#60 of 140 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,744 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 30 2013 - 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Will Krupp 

A huge favorite of mine also.  No question that LAURA will come home, , ,with me,  I am not a fan of screen caps for I am purchasing a moving picture, not a still picture and there are just too many outside influences on the caps also.  At least that is my opinion.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users