What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Man Who Knew Too Much -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) is a problem negative, but with today's technology, should not have been a problematic Blu-ray.

It should have, and could have, looked exactly as it did in 1956.

To me, there was a chance here to make everything perfect, and to be blunt, it was blown.

Don't be lulled into a false sense of quality by looking at the occasionally superb resolution.

It's the color and densities, that for much of the film, make it a failure of a Blu-ray.

Image - 2

Audio - 4.5

I would suggest a recall on this title, which needs to go back to square one.

RAH

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Along with Rope, this is one of my favourites. This set is a pass for me until it hits rock bottom prices or a new set get's released.

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
Are they still using the reduction elements from the early 80s for this one? IIRC, the "tell" is the old Universal logo in place of Paramount's.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Andy_G /t/324714/a-few-words-about-the-man-who-knew-too-much-in-blu-ray#post_3993147
Are they still using the reduction elements from the early 80s for this one? IIRC, the "tell" is the old Universal logo in place of Paramount's.
VistaVision IP from faded OCN.

RAH

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
robert, i was wondering......why is it that the universal monsters set has such a spectacular image quality (i believe no original negatives were
used there), yet the hitchcock set is so problematic? are different techniques being used? more money/labor spent on one set and not the other?
why is the image quality of classic films released on blu ray all over the map like this?

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. It's along the lines of what Warner and Lowry did with NxNW over ten years ago for the DVD. I recall that it looked pretty good, but who knows?
Didn't you say that there is no yellow layer left on the negative?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by marcco00 /t/324714/a-few-words-about-the-man-who-knew-too-much-in-blu-ray#post_3993166
robert, i was wondering......why is it that the universal monsters set has such a spectacular image quality (i believe no original negatives were
used there), yet the hitchcock set is so problematic? are different techniques being used? more money/labor spent on one set and not the other?
why is the image quality of classic films released on blu ray all over the map like this?
Available budgeted funds, cost per title, and passion.

RAH

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Very sorry about this. Do the separation masters exist? I wonder if someone like Criterion could take over this title?

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
Strange that Paramount's To Catch A Thief and Warner's North by Northwest look so spectacular while Universal seems incapable of bringing these to market looking as they should.

Bob-ATL

Stunt Coordinator
Does it has the same horrible level of EE that the DVD had in the Masterpiece Collection?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Reading these threads on the Hitchcock films is beginning to sour my mood.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Robert Harris said:
Available budgeted funds, cost per title, and passion.
RAH
What I don't understand is how/why anyone would be more passionate or have more money for the old Universal monsters than Hitchcock.
Don't get me wrong, I love the monsters as much as the next man, but I'd have thought they could make more money back from The Man Who Knew Too Much than say The Mummy, or The Invisible Man.
Steve W

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Yorkshire /t/324714/a-few-words-about-the-man-who-knew-too-much-in-blu-ray#post_3993556
What I don't understand is how/why anyone would be more passionate or have more money for the old Universal monsters than Hitchcock.
Don't get me wrong, I love the monsters as much as the next man, but I'd have thought they could make more money back from The Man Who Knew Too Much than say The Mummy, or The Invisible Man.
Steve W
Possibly because they aren't Universal films.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks