Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Man Who Knew Too Much -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
330 replies to this topic

#21 of 331 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted October 26 2012 - 11:14 AM

Judging by how long it took Paramount to get To Catch A Thief to where they had, I think we wouldn't be much better off if those films were over there...
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#22 of 331 OFFLINE   JParker

JParker

Second Unit

• 309 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 12:41 PM

Judging by how long it took Paramount to get To Catch A Thief to where they had, I think we wouldn't be much better off if those films were over there...

I was almost going to ask that myself. The Monsters collection is pretty awesome.

Given what Paramount accomplished with Sunset Boulevard, perhaps it would have been superior if they showed this film the same consideration; but per Wiki, the rights for DVD belong to Universal. Too bad.

http://www.hometheat...vard-in-blu-ray

https://en.wikipedia...ilm)#Home_video

The film has been released on home video by Universal Pictures, which acquired the distribution rights to all but one of Hitchcock's Paramount films, in both VHS and DVD formats.

#23 of 331 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted October 26 2012 - 01:36 PM

Yes, they've done well with one title, but my point was they had to go through 3 releases to get Thief right, and they do one or two big restorations a year and otherwise their catalog sits there un-issued. The Par-WB deal should rectify some of this though, but I don't think the large set of Hitchcocks would be doing any better at Paramount.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#24 of 331 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 02:43 PM

In a perfect world, all the studios would sub-licence their titles to Warner to distribute, from scans and masters created by Sony.
Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#25 of 331 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,906 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth /t/324714/a-few-words-about-the-man-who-knew-too-much-in-blu-ray#post_3993786 In a perfect world, all the studios would sub-licence their titles to Warner to distribute, from scans and masters created by Sony.
If you're referring to facilities, and nothing against Sony, but mastering at Warner Bros. facility is as good or better.   MPI vs. Colorworks.   Both can do wonderful work.   But if put to the test with the same elements, I believe MPI will come out ahead.  The more difficult the elements, the better.   I can see this as a reality TV show.   Scanned.   RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#26 of 331 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 910 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:53 PM

If you're referring to facilities, and nothing against Sony, but mastering at Warner Bros. facility is as good or better. MPI vs. Colorworks. Both can do wonderful work. But if put to the test with the same elements, I believe MPI will come out ahead.  The more difficult the elements, the better. I can see this as a reality TV show. Scanned. RAH
Just observing the results over time, it does appear that many releases from Sony seem to exhibit an extra degree of care and consideration than any other major studio. Warners also does good work, but sometimes a commitment to excellence makes a difference.

#27 of 331 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Producer

• 3,042 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 06:12 PM

MPI vs. Colorworks. Both can do wonderful work. But if put to the test with the same elements, I believe MPI will come out ahead.  The more difficult the elements, the better. I can see this as a reality TV show. Scanned. RAH
I would watch that!

#28 of 331 OFFLINE   GerardoHP

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor

• 696 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted October 26 2012 - 09:55 PM

I couldn't agree more with Robert. The color is really lacking in this Bluray and the transitions from one shot to the next are sometimes painful to watch. This should be recalled and redone, especially considering the price of the collection and the advertising announcing that all the titles have been carefully restored. Not this one.
Gerardo

#29 of 331 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 26 2012 - 10:28 PM

I can't wait to watch these!

#30 of 331 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,786 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 26 2012 - 10:29 PM

If you're referring to facilities, and nothing against Sony, but mastering at Warner Bros. facility is as good or better. MPI vs. Colorworks. Both can do wonderful work. But if put to the test with the same elements, I believe MPI will come out ahead.  The more difficult the elements, the better. I can see this as a reality TV show. Scanned. RAH
Based on HTF's visit at MPI this past Tuesday, I along with many other members were very impressed with MPI. We met with the colorist that's working on Cabaret, East of Eden and Rebel Without a Cause. The scenes she shown us looked beautiful and very film-like. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#31 of 331 ONLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,906 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 04:25 AM

Based on HTF's visit at MPI this past Tuesday, I along with many other members were very impressed with MPI. We met with the colorist that's working on Cabaret, East of Eden and Rebel Without a Cause. The scenes she shown us looked beautiful and very film-like. Crawdaddy
Sounds like you met Janet,who has a great eye. RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#32 of 331 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,786 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 27 2012 - 05:54 AM

By the way, based on my conversation with Paramount yesterday, they said something about Technicolor or maybe some other company not working on preparing elements for BD in the near future. I thought they said Technicolor, but I might be mistaken. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#33 of 331 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,786 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 27 2012 - 05:57 AM

Sounds like you met Janet,who has a great eye. RAH
Yes, I believe that was her name. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#34 of 331 ONLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,906 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 07:04 AM

Yes, I believe that was her name. Crawdaddy
Janet is responsible for some beautiful work. RAH

#35 of 331 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,325 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 27 2012 - 12:19 PM

Janet is responsible for some beautiful work. RAH
I asked her if she was responsible for Singin' in the Rain Blu, and she said she was.

#36 of 331 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 400 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted October 27 2012 - 01:16 PM

I wonder how Paramount did with " On A Clear Day You Can See Forever " As it is on Vudu for purchase in HDX @ $15.00. This might mean a Blu-Ray is on it's way.:D Everett
Former projectionist @ all downtown theatres in Balto. City.Which are all closed. frown.gif

#37 of 331 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted October 27 2012 - 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/324714/a-few-words-about-the-man-who-knew-too-much-in-blu-ray/30#post_3994084 I asked her if she was responsible for Singin' in the Rain Blu, and she said she was.
My favorite restoration of 2012, outside of Lawrence Of Arabia...Janet deserves the thanks of every HTF member for her wonderful work here!!!

#38 of 331 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 05:26 PM

And, maybe sadly, I'd watch it.

#39 of 331 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,262 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 07:24 PM

Ouch!!! Thanks Robert!

#40 of 331 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 12:40 AM

I more than concur with RAH on this.  This title, unfortunately, was unwatchable.    This isn't just a matter of needing to recall the disc.  It's a matter of needing to actually do the work to preserve the movie while there is still time to do so.  In this condition, I don't know how anyone could watch the movie for five minutes without being knocked completely out of the experience.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users