-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Man Who Knew Too Much -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
330 replies to this topic

#1 of 331 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,350 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 04:17 AM

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) is a problem negative, but with today's technology, should not have been a problematic Blu-ray.

It should have, and could have, looked exactly as it did in 1956.

To me, there was a chance here to make everything perfect, and to be blunt, it was blown.

Don't be lulled into a false sense of quality by looking at the occasionally superb resolution.

It's the color and densities, that for much of the film, make it a failure of a Blu-ray.

Image - 2

Audio - 4.5

I would suggest a recall on this title, which needs to go back to square one.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 331 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,778 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 04:22 AM

Oh dear. O K. I won't buy it. But I'm very disappointed.

#3 of 331 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,688 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 25 2012 - 04:34 AM

Along with Rope, this is one of my favourites. This set is a pass for me until it hits rock bottom prices or a new set get's released.

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#4 of 331 mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Second Unit

• 451 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted October 25 2012 - 04:39 AM

Not a deal breaker..plus you're a much harsher critic than me. Not anything wrong with that!

#5 of 331 Andy_G

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 05:05 AM

Are they still using the reduction elements from the early 80s for this one? IIRC, the "tell" is the old Universal logo in place of Paramount's.

#6 of 331 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,350 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Andy_G 

Are they still using the reduction elements from the early 80s for this one? IIRC, the "tell" is the old Universal logo in place of Paramount's.

VistaVision IP from faded OCN.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#7 of 331 marcco00

marcco00

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted October 25 2012 - 05:37 AM

robert, i was wondering......why is it that the universal monsters set has such a spectacular image quality (i believe no original negatives were used there), yet the hitchcock set is so problematic? are different techniques being used? more money/labor spent on one set and not the other? why is the image quality of classic films released on blu ray all over the map like this?

#8 of 331 Andy_G

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 05:38 AM

Thanks. It's along the lines of what Warner and Lowry did with NxNW over ten years ago for the DVD. I recall that it looked pretty good, but who knows? Didn't you say that there is no yellow layer left on the negative?

#9 of 331 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,350 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by marcco00 

robert, i was wondering......why is it that the universal monsters set has such a spectacular image quality (i believe no original negatives were
used there), yet the hitchcock set is so problematic? are different techniques being used? more money/labor spent on one set and not the other?
why is the image quality of classic films released on blu ray all over the map like this?

Available budgeted funds, cost per title, and passion.

RAH

#10 of 331 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,822 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 07:10 AM

Very sorry about this. Do the separation masters exist? I wonder if someone like Criterion could take over this title?

#11 of 331 Mikey1969

Mikey1969

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 09:04 AM

Strange that Paramount's To Catch A Thief and Warner's North by Northwest look so spectacular while Universal seems incapable of bringing these to market looking as they should.

#12 of 331 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,143 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted October 25 2012 - 09:34 AM

I marvel to think what RAH could do with this one given todays digital toolbox and the appropriate funding and support.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#13 of 331 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 09:51 AM

How disappointing. I had such moderate hopes.

#14 of 331 WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 11:20 AM

What a shame... one of my most anticipated.

#15 of 331 Bob-ATL

Bob-ATL

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 11:43 AM

Does it has the same horrible level of EE that the DVD had in the Masterpiece Collection?
"She's into malacas, Dino!" Gary-Weird Science

#16 of 331 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,461 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 03:16 PM

Reading these threads on the Hitchcock films is beginning to sour my mood.

#17 of 331 ShellOilJunior

ShellOilJunior

Stunt Coordinator

• 147 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 11:36 PM

Very sorry about this. Do the separation masters exist? I wonder if someone like Criterion could take over this title?

It would be very cool if they had rights on both versions.

#18 of 331 Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,254 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 12:51 AM

Available budgeted funds, cost per title, and passion. RAH

What I don't understand is how/why anyone would be more passionate or have more money for the old Universal monsters than Hitchcock. Don't get me wrong, I love the monsters as much as the next man, but I'd have thought they could make more money back from The Man Who Knew Too Much than say The Mummy, or The Invisible Man. Steve W
Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#19 of 331 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,350 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Yorkshire 

What I don't understand is how/why anyone would be more passionate or have more money for the old Universal monsters than Hitchcock.
Don't get me wrong, I love the monsters as much as the next man, but I'd have thought they could make more money back from The Man Who Knew Too Much than say The Mummy, or The Invisible Man.
Steve W

Possibly because they aren't Universal films.

RAH

#20 of 331 rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:52 AM

Possibly because they aren't Universal films. RAH

I was almost going to ask that myself. The Monsters collection is pretty awesome.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users