What's new

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Let me just be the first to say it: This restoration is fantastic. Colonel Blimp is a) a great movie, and b) gets the transfer it so richly deserves, right up there with Black Narcissus. The color in Blimp is more subdued than Narcissus, but it's perfect and looks exactly right. It's like going back in time and seeing this anew. Kudos to all concerned.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I'm hoping Criterion has this title in the pipeline sooner than later. I think Red Shoes took them almost a year to release after the UK Blu was issued. I can always Import the UK blu if I get antsy.

And not to change the subject but each time I think of the P&P films my heart just sinks knowing Criterion lost the rights to Tales of Hoffmann... I want this one in HD on BLU more than anything. Bruce do you know of any plans for a release being rumored for UK or elsewhere? I would assume Studio Canal would be in charge of it.

Life and Death of C. B. is really a great film, I appreciate it more each time I've seen it. It has been close to 5 years since I last watched my DVD of the film, so the new BLU should be a revelation.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Powell&Pressburger said:
I'm hoping Criterion has this title in the pipeline sooner than later. I think Red Shoes took them almost a year to release after the UK Blu was issued. I can always Import the UK blu if I get antsy. 
And not to change the subject but each time I think of the P&P films my heart just sinks knowing Criterion lost the rights to Tales of Hoffmann... I want this one in HD on BLU more than anything. Bruce do you know of any plans for a release being rumored for UK or elsewhere? I would assume Studio Canal would be in charge of it. 
Life and Death of C. B. is really a great film, I appreciate it more each time I've seen it. It has been close to 5 years since I last watched my DVD of the film, so the new BLU should be a revelation. 
I guess I should point out it's region B locked, but if anything would make anyone get a region-free player, this should be it.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I have a region free player luckily...

however I did notice a post from blu-ray.com that stated... unofficially confirmed by Criterion for a Q1 release next year. (I'm paraphrasing) So that is good news.. so the wait may not be ultra long for the Criterion edition.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I would normally get the Region B disc, but Criterion has so far been very good at releasing the newly restored Powell & Pressburger blu-rays stateside that I'll hold off picking this up for a hopeful 2013 Region A release.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Jeez, I've bought a lot of Blu-rays in the recently passed weeks/months. Looks like I'm going to have to import this one now. Black Narcissus and The Red Shoes looked great on Blu-ray; and I like Colonel Blimp as much as those two. Sometimes, you just gotta do what you've gotta do.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Black Narcissus, The Red Shoes, Blimp...
How they tease me!
:rolleyes:
Still, AMOLAD is due out on Blu-ray Disc in France next year.
This is a must-buy for me. I only watch it quite rarely, as I find it a long, dense film for its time. But it's none the less excellent for all that.
Steve W

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Had the pleasure of watching the ITV Blu-ray. I hadn't watched this in a whole and was incredibly moved to once again witness the richly realized friendship of Clive Wynn-Candy and Theo Kretschmar-Schuldorff. Writing, direction, cinematography and three performances to savor.

I've never seen it presented so beautifully, and it's never packed such a punch. Surely not a coincidence, this is what Blu-ray is about. I'm incredibly grateful to the restoration team on this one.

I can only hope that A Matter of Life and Death is on its way to a similar treatment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks