Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,019 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 24 2012 - 05:23 PM

Let me just be the first to say it: This restoration is fantastic. Colonel Blimp is a) a great movie, and b) gets the transfer it so richly deserves, right up there with Black Narcissus. The color in Blimp is more subdued than Narcissus, but it's perfect and looks exactly right. It's like going back in time and seeing this anew. Kudos to all concerned.

#2 of 8 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,093 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted October 24 2012 - 06:07 PM

I'm hoping Criterion has this title in the pipeline sooner than later. I think Red Shoes took them almost a year to release after the UK Blu was issued. I can always Import the UK blu if I get antsy.

And not to change the subject but each time I think of the P&P films my heart just sinks knowing Criterion lost the rights to Tales of Hoffmann... I want this one in HD on BLU more than anything. Bruce do you know of any plans for a release being rumored for UK or elsewhere? I would assume Studio Canal would be in charge of it.

Life and Death of C. B. is really a great film, I appreciate it more each time I've seen it. It has been close to 5 years since I last watched my DVD of the film, so the new BLU should be a revelation.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#3 of 8 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,019 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 24 2012 - 06:31 PM

I'm hoping Criterion has this title in the pipeline sooner than later. I think Red Shoes took them almost a year to release after the UK Blu was issued. I can always Import the UK blu if I get antsy.  And not to change the subject but each time I think of the P&P films my heart just sinks knowing Criterion lost the rights to Tales of Hoffmann... I want this one in HD on BLU more than anything. Bruce do you know of any plans for a release being rumored for UK or elsewhere? I would assume Studio Canal would be in charge of it.  Life and Death of C. B. is really a great film, I appreciate it more each time I've seen it. It has been close to 5 years since I last watched my DVD of the film, so the new BLU should be a revelation. 

I guess I should point out it's region B locked, but if anything would make anyone get a region-free player, this should be it.

#4 of 8 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,093 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted October 24 2012 - 06:40 PM

I have a region free player luckily... 
however I did notice a post from blu-ray.com that stated... unofficially confirmed by Criterion for a Q1 release next year. (I'm paraphrasing) So that is good news.. so the wait may not be ultra long for the Criterion edition. Posted Image

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#5 of 8 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted October 24 2012 - 06:51 PM

I would normally get the Region B disc, but Criterion has so far been very good at releasing the newly restored Powell & Pressburger blu-rays stateside that I'll hold off picking this up for a hopeful 2013 Region A release.

#6 of 8 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,420 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 03:24 AM

Jeez, I've bought a lot of Blu-rays in the recently passed weeks/months. Looks like I'm going to have to import this one now. Black Narcissus and The Red Shoes looked great on Blu-ray; and I like Colonel Blimp as much as those two. Sometimes, you just gotta do what you've gotta do.

#7 of 8 Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,229 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 04:18 AM

Black Narcissus, The Red Shoes, Blimp... How they tease me! :rolleyes: Still, AMOLAD is due out on Blu-ray Disc in France next year. This is a must-buy for me. I only watch it quite rarely, as I find it a long, dense film for its time. But it's none the less excellent for all that. Steve W
Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#8 of 8 Patrick Mason

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 07:07 PM

Had the pleasure of watching the ITV Blu-ray.  I hadn't watched this in a whole and was incredibly moved to once again witness the richly realized friendship of Clive Wynn-Candy and Theo Kretschmar-Schuldorff.  Writing, direction, cinematography and three performances to savor.   I've never seen it presented so beautifully, and it's never packed such a punch.  Surely not a coincidence, this is what Blu-ray is about.  I'm incredibly grateful to the restoration team on this one.   I can only hope that A Matter of Life and Death is on its way to a similar treatment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users