Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Rear Window -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 of 57 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,611 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 05:08 PM

Thank you Mr. Harris. Just to be sure I understand you, you mean they went to masters for the blu ray as the screen cap I posted is from the velvet box Masterpeice Collection. It was a pleasure to see this film again, I held off waiting for the blu-ray. The jazzy score is fun too.

#22 of 57 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,690 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 06:50 PM

Thank you Mr. Harris.
Just to be sure I understand you, you mean they went to masters for the blu ray as the screen cap I posted is from the velvet box Masterpeice Collection.
It was a pleasure to see this film again, I held off waiting for the blu-ray. The jazzy score is fun too.

Two different processes. One analogue (DVD), the other digital (BD).

Different film elements. Different scanning methodologies.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#23 of 57 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,843 posts

Posted November 02 2012 - 06:10 PM

I'm not sure why my pre-review is not always coming up for everyone. Could be due to storm issues affecting servers, etc. I really liked this disc and said as much in my review. I don't believe I mentioned any issues about the credits other than the grain. I believe the credits themselves are the intended effect and not an error.

#24 of 57 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,118 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 12:07 PM

Thanks Robert. I did pick up the set today at Costco for $164. Amazon is at $224. Quite a difference in price!!

#25 of 57 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted November 03 2012 - 12:38 PM

I watched Rear Window and it looked good to me, although I didnt see a vast difference compared to the DVD, brighter for sure but the transfer is good as far as I can see, Sound was great. And I love this film ! :)

#26 of 57 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,611 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 02:12 PM

Thanks Mr. Harris, it's good to know the opening title credits appear as they originally did with the brighter red outline. Sorry Kevin, I thought you had mentioned the offset of the red outline in your review, that was for some reason blocked a few days ago! David, I could see a difference. Between the DVD and the blu rays in terms of video noise being very strong on the DVD which I am thinking is film grain which is mostly removed from the blu ray. Osato, isn't that Costco price great! Saved $60 from Amazon's price.

#27 of 57 ONLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,691 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 04:32 PM

Thanks Robert. I did pick up the set today at Costco for $164. Amazon is at $224. Quite a difference in price!!

I was horrified to see this price at my local Costco yesterday, since I'd already pulled the shrinkwrap off my Amazon copy. I could've (almost) bought the Indiana Jones set with the difference. :f

#28 of 57 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,611 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 05:01 PM

Sorry Craig. Maybe you can request a return, or Amazon would be willing to price match? Recently, with big box sets like these, I just wait till release day and check on Costco first. They've been really good and competitive. In this case, they crushed the competition.

#29 of 57 ONLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,691 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 05:46 PM

I can check with Amazon, but I'm pretty sure they won't price match Costco. It's my own damn fault.

#30 of 57 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,611 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 06:32 PM

Maybe you can still return it? Good luck.

#31 of 57 ONLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,711 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 07:03 PM

You could try purchasing the Costco set, and then try returning that one to Amazon. That set would still be in shrinkwrap, and should be the same UPC. Of course, you might have to pay return shipping (but that still might be less than $60). David

#32 of 57 ONLINE   classicscaper

classicscaper

Agent

• 38 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted November 03 2012 - 09:03 PM

I was horrified to see this price at my local Costco yesterday, since I'd already pulled the shrinkwrap off my Amazon copy. I could've (almost) bought the Indiana Jones set with the difference. :f

The products offered by Costco and Amazon are identical. Buy the set at Costco, keep it sealed, and return it to Amazon. Amazon will refund you the price you paid (you'll have to pay return shipping since nothing is wrong with the set) and Amazon will get back the exact same thing they sold you. No harm, no foul.

#33 of 57 OFFLINE   classicscaper

classicscaper

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 09:04 PM

You could try purchasing the Costco set, and then try returning that one to Amazon. That set would still be in shrinkwrap, and should be the same UPC. Of course, you might have to pay return shipping (but that still might be less than $60).
David

Nevermind, apparently David is on the same train of thought too.

#34 of 57 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,611 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 11:11 PM

There is a price tag from Costco to be removed.

#35 of 57 ONLINE   classicscaper

classicscaper

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 11:28 PM

There is a price tag from Costco to be removed.

True, which is simply a matter of peeling off the sticker. You could take it off, still leave gobs of white sticker material and residue, and it wouldn't really matter. Frankly, as someone who worked for more than two and half years for a large retail corporation like Amazon, the companies don't care, providing you abide by their return processes. As long as you originally bought the product with the company, and are returning an identical product in the same unopened/unused condition, it makes no difference whatsoever.

Normally, I wouldn't go through the return process hassles for a few dollars difference, but in the case of $60, the return shipping is more than worth it.

#36 of 57 OFFLINE   JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted November 04 2012 - 12:27 PM

You guys are finding the Hitchcock set at Costco? The ever-shrinking movie section of my local Costco is down to about half a dozen Blu-ray titles, none of which are box sets.

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#37 of 57 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,486 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 04 2012 - 12:31 PM

You guys are finding the Hitchcock set at Costco? The ever-shrinking movie section of my local Costco is down to about half a dozen Blu-ray titles, none of which are box sets.

Yeah, the selection at the store near me has gotten so small that it's not even worth the time to go over and look to see if they have it.

#38 of 57 ONLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,558 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted November 04 2012 - 05:09 PM

I certainly don't count on Costco having anything anymore, which I was I preordered the box through Amazon. I wish I *could* count on Costco. I miss the days of swinging by there on Tuesdays knowing that I would come away with a bargain-priced DVD.

#39 of 57 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,541 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted November 04 2012 - 06:38 PM

I let my Costco membership expire a couple of years ago when their dvd & blu-ray section shrunk to nearly nothing.  But I swung by the Burbank one today out of curiosity.  They did have one copy of the Hitchcock set.  Many copies of the Universal Monsters box, though.  Didn't renew my membership as the selection in general was the worst I have ever seen it.  Just sad.  Man, I got great deals on a lot of boxsets there in the old days.

#40 of 57 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted November 05 2012 - 02:11 AM

The Burbank one is a bit better than the Van Nuys, which is my closest. I keep my Costco up for the gas, and I usually find some good BD catalog deals throughout the year and moreso at christmastime.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users