What's new

SONY BDP-S300 BRD player (2007) (1 Viewer)

Tasuke

Auditioning
Real Name
John
hi all. just acquired my very first halfway serious BRD player, a SONY BDP-S300, in a local trade.
it came with no manual/remote/etc. so i bought both online;
BDP-S300JOHN-10-18-121.jpg

BDP-S300JOHN10-18-123.jpg

KGrHqJiYF32gVtNBQfse3io60_3.jpg

BDP-S300JOHN10-18-124.jpg

- another week or so, aqnd the remote will arrive from China. the manual already came.
then, i'll finally be able to really see what this this thin can do.
i've already DLed the latest firmware. despite some of the horror stories i've read online,
the download to player was painless and fully automatic.
the player IS INDEED SLOW in it's operations, but i hear it's a decent performer,
and, for me, the price was certainly right.
at any rate, feel free to share opinions/tips/etc. i'll appreciate it... :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The biggest issue with this player is it didn't support Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio or Bitstream output :confused: . Your firmware update should have added TrueHD but you may have to select LPCM or use the multi cn analog outputs. DTS MA will default to old fashioned DTS 5.1. The earliest machines were released before they were really ready. Hopefully it didn't cost too much in trade/parts but at least you'll get the bluray picture quality. The manual is available for free on Sony's website. And just about any $10 universal remote or even the remote for your receiver would have worked just as well. But it is nice to have the original. Don't let all this bad news detract from enjoying your first bluray player. Have fun with it anyway. But see us before you buy your next one...or anything else for that matter ;) . Cheers!

Tasuke

Auditioning
Real Name
John
$23.00, for the remote and manual.
the player itself was $60, but i had some junk around the house that the hock-shop owner was willing to take a straight trade for... :)

Tasuke

Auditioning
Real Name
John
gene c said:
The biggest issue with this player is it didn't support Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio or Bitstream output :confused: . Your firmware update should have added TrueHD but you may have to select LPCM or use the multi cn analog outputs. DTS MA will default to old fashioned DTS 5.1. The earliest machines were released before they were really ready. Hopefully it didn't cost too much in trade/parts but at least you'll get the bluray picture quality. The manual is available for free on Sony's website. And just about any $10 universal remote or even the remote for your receiver would have worked just as well. But it is nice to have the original. Don't let all this bad news detract from enjoying your first bluray player. Have fun with it anyway. But see us before you buy your next one...or anything else for that matter ;) . Cheers!
no problem for me. if you take a look at my system page ( http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/324565/my-hi-fi-ht-system )
- you'll see that i'm a total deviant amongst the HT crowd in that i run all my sources, whether SURROUND capable or not,
through an ancient, but beautiful sounding 1990 PIONEER VSX-D1S A/V receiver in stereo mode at around 150w/ch.
i've been down the HT SURROUND road before, with a 5.1 setup and all.
two channel Hi-Fi stereo for Audio and A/V sources, however, has long since proven itself to me as my personally preferred method of enjoying audio for video.
Differ'nt Strokes and all...:)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Two channel stereo can sound wonderfull, especially for music. In fact, I've reverted to analog for most of my stereo listening. I do like 5.1 for movies/tv/sports though.
Looks like you do have some real good vintage Pioneer Elite gear there. I used to have an Elite 59txi receiver, dv59avi universal dvd player and PD-59 cd player (with stable platter mechanism!). I often wish I had just kept them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks