What's new

Wireless rear speaker system OR 2.1 OR other (1 Viewer)

Byromie

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
We don't want any wires running around the house or holes in the walls so i am limited to getting a wireless htib system or a system that has only speakers in the front.
what would be the best bang-for-the-buck system with best sound?
i have read that some of these 2.1 systems simulating a 5.1 surround system. would a system like this do a better job than a wireless one? i have heard of problems with wireless ones having bad sync, but maybe this has been remedied in newer ones?
suggestions and info would be appreciated. thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, how much money you got?
Browsing Wilson Audio for a 2.1 and some McIntosh equipment would set you back $250,000.
I was cruising my local "thrifts" yesterday and ran across a couple decade old Aiwa bookshelf stereo that had two speakers and a passive bass module(parlance for "subwoofer that can't do much") they were trying to clerk for $25.

Byromie

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
definitely want to stay in the mid hundred range.
how are the Bose 2.1 systems compared to a wireless system of equal or less price?
are bose systems just a bunch of hype? they are kinda pricy
currently i have a panasonic HTiB 5.1 system but i have all the speakers up front because we don't want wires going all around. we got the system used for free and are using it as a receiver on auxiliary mode sense the dvd player went out. it is in need of replacing obviously for more reasons than one. but it still made the sound better than just the tv alone :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why not buy a soundbar?
We have this connected to a TV and, except for the remote sensor being "iffy", it works well...
http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-TVee-Model-25/dp/B004V1DAC4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350668513&sr=1-2&keywords=boston+tvee+model+30
By "iffy", the remote sensor has a VERY narrow field of service. We gather close to 10 degrees. But it is in a bedroom where it isn't used beyond that range. If you are in a living room with a wider viewing angle, the center person has to use the remote.
It even has three inputs...one for the TV...then you can connect an Ipod if you want.
And to be fair, if the bedroom could be adapted to 5.1, I would do it. However, it is the one room of the house the GF was given carte blanche(and she LIKES audio...)...but the master bathroom "door" is the "entire" false wall between the two rooms. There is a french door to the outside patio. So, roughly in this room, close to 60% of the "walls" are either door or window.

Byromie

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
A sound bar is something i have and would consider.
one of my big questions is how a 5.1 system with wireless rear speakers (some also have wireless sub) would compare to the 1.1,2.1, and 3.1 systems at similar prices.
which would be better sound.
another way i might put it is: what technology is better wireless or the ability to broadcast or throw the sound across the room to simulate the effect of surround sound

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It depends on your room. Trial and error. There is no "best sound" at home. The best sound is sitting in a live venue(Clowes Hall, Indianapolis...for example) with the performance right in front of you.
Everything else...EVERYTHING ELSE...is a compromise.
Wireless rear (Sony S-Air) is NOT truly wireless. The speakers are still tethered to an amp...which is still plugged into the wall...
Fake surround works only if your room is, for lack of a better term, perfectly square. The sound that "goes there", must "bounce to come back". If the room is "too open" or 'too dead"(ie curtains, lots of furniture, carpet)...the sound can't come back.

Byromie

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
good info thanks.
my room is definitely not square nor intended just for theater. there is a hallway, open kitchen and another bedroom that lead from it. I realize that the wireless speakers still have to be plugged in, but we are just trying to avoid wires going from the system/tv to the rear speakers via the ceiling or floor due to the layout of the room and crossing its openings.
how about something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HT-E5500W-Channel-Blu-ray-1000-Watt/dp/B0076R7K26/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1350669461&sr=8-7&keywords=wireless+rear+speaker+theater

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Before you buy a "throw away" HTiB...
Sony receivers(which aren't the greatest) are available with the same S-Air that come in their throwaway HTiB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks