What's new

Need help with first time setup (1 Viewer)

nthydro

Grip
Real Name
Chris Lee
I'm new to home theater and this is going to be my first setup so I really don't know what I'm doing. After researching how to distribute HDMI sources to multiple zones I find myself pretty overwhelmed. Seems like splitting HDMI is a real headache with all the EDID, HDCP, ect.
What I'm basically trying to do is get my 6 HDMI sources to independently and simultaneously display on different zones (projector + 3 TVs). For example, I want to game on the projector and watch cable on one of the TVs at the same time. From what I gather, I can accomplish this with a 8x4 hdmi matrix but that's way out of my budget. Plus I would probably have issues with the lowest common denominator since I'm going to run 3D on the projector but the TVs are not 3D compatible. And I'll have audio issues with the projector running 5.1 audio and the TVs running 2.1. So I came up with the setup as illustrated below which I'm hoping will solve the common denominator problem. I figure if I add a 1x2 splitter right after each source the projector will get 3D and 5.1 audio without getting down converted by the TVs. I don't know if this setup would work or if there's a more efficient way of doing this without getting a matrix switch. Hopefully you guys can chime in and help me out. Thank you.
HomeAudioSetup.jpg

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Chris, thanks for joining us :)
I think youll struggle to get multiple splitters to work reliably and I see you having to experiment to see what works and what doesnt. Getting things to switch and handshake (hdcp) properly will be the tough part. This reliably greatly depends on how robust your gear is, youre passing 720p and not 1080p which should help a bit. I would start with splitters purchased from a vendor that has a good return policy and start seeing what works. I will mention that my comcast cable box is very smart and would not allow for a monprice hdmi splitter, comcast would rather I rent a second cable box for $20 a month, so depending on your cable provider your cable box may be the wild card.

nthydro

Grip
Real Name
Chris Lee
Type A said:
Welcome to the forum Chris, thanks for joining us :)
I think youll struggle to get multiple splitters to work reliably and I see you having to experiment to see what works and what doesnt. Getting things to switch and handshake (hdcp) properly will be the tough part. This reliably greatly depends on how robust your gear is, youre passing 720p and not 1080p which should help a bit. I would start with splitters purchased from a vendor that has a good return policy and start seeing what works. I will mention that my comcast cable box is very smart and would not allow for a monprice hdmi splitter, comcast would rather I rent a second cable box for $20 a month, so depending on your cable provider your cable box may be the wild card.
Thanks Ty for your help.
Yeah I figured my setup was a bit too complicated to work smoothly. Interesting point about the cable box, I hadn't though about that. I definitely don't want to pay for a 2nd cable box. I have Uverse and supposed there's a kit you can use to turn your Xbox into a cable receiver. That would eliminate the monthly fee of a 2nd box. But I guess I need to rethink this whole thing over :(

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Since youre primarily interested in 720p using a component connection would be an option for you. I use this 6x2 with great results, it is easily integrated into your system as it's controlled with a standard IR remote control (something you wont find in HDMI switchers btw)

nthydro

Grip
Real Name
Chris Lee
Type A said:
Since youre primarily interested in 720p using a component connection would be an option for you. I use this 6x2 with great results, it is easily integrated into your system as it's controlled with a standard IR remote control (something you wont find in HDMI switchers btw)
That looks like a good affordable option, thanks!
My main concern with going component is when I upgrade my displays to 1080p ones I'm going to need to redo it. But I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. My other concern is I won't be able to get 3D through component correct? And also are there any audio limitations if I use TOSLINK vs hdmi? I remember reading about it somewhere. I'm going to using 5.1 for awhile so as long as it works fine with that I'm okay.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No matter "how you split this"...since your "one TV" is 2.0...
It is 2.0 EVERYWHERE. Period. No matter how many splitters/matrix you put in. One "end" is 2.0, so all "ends" are 2.0.
Same with the 720P.

nthydro

Grip
Real Name
Chris Lee
Type A said:
My main concern with going component is when I upgrade my displays to 1080p ones I'm going to need to redo it. But I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. My other concern is I won't be able to get 3D through component correct? And also are there any audio limitations if I use TOSLINK vs hdmi? I remember reading about it somewhere. I'm going to using 5.1 for awhile so as long as it works fine with that I'm okay.

nthydro

Grip
Real Name
Chris Lee
Type A said:
Type A said:

nthydro

Grip
Real Name
Chris Lee
Type A said:
Type A said:

nthydro

Grip
Real Name
Chris Lee
Type A said:
Ty,

nthydro

Grip
Real Name
Chris Lee
Ty,

nthydro

Grip
Real Name
Chris Lee
Ty,

nthydro

Grip
Real Name
Chris Lee
schan1269 said:
No matter "how you split this"...since your "one TV" is 2.0...
It is 2.0 EVERYWHERE. Period. No matter how many splitters/matrix you put in. One "end" is 2.0, so all "ends" are 2.0.
Same with the 720P.
Lol got it. So it doesn't matter where the weak link is in the chain. This whole thing is such a pain in the behind. I'm sure there must be other people in my shoes who accomplished this one a budget??

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Most places/people that do what you are trying, spend the bucks to get it done right. So, no.
There is an Elite AVR that has HDMI 1 and 2, and HDMI zone 4. Last I checked it was $1700.
So, spend $1700 to get done what you want done, or live with lackluster results.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way...
The Elite SC67 (it is new) would allow for all 4 of your displays connected at once. And 3 of which doing different things at the same time. With NO RESTRICTIONS on 2.0 cause "one is 2.0", nor any 720P restrictions "cause one is 720P".
I'm also trying to figure out how the PS3/Xbox/Wii are in this "matrix menagerie" in the first place.
Are you going to buy 3 more Bluetooth Wii sensors(or carry the one around the house and hope it works?)?
Same with the PS3 and Xbox. Will the remotes, in your house, work 2-3 rooms away from the PS3/Xbox? (I would try it first before you put it in and find out your house has too much EMI to let the remotes work)

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
nthydro said:
My main concern with going component is when I upgrade my displays to 1080p ones I'm going to need to redo it. But I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. My other concern is I won't be able to get 3D through component correct?
Both are correct sir.
HDMI is the only way to get lossless dts or dolby from a blu ray player. Digital coax or optical (toslink) will only pass dolby digital (2.1 or 5.1) and below.

nthydro

Grip
Real Name
Chris Lee
schan1269 said:
By the way...
The Elite SC67 (it is new) would allow for all 4 of your displays connected at once. And 3 of which doing different things at the same time. With NO RESTRICTIONS on 2.0 cause "one is 2.0", nor any 720P restrictions "cause one is 720P".
I'm also trying to figure out how the PS3/Xbox/Wii are in this "matrix menagerie" in the first place.
Are you going to buy 3 more Bluetooth Wii sensors(or carry the one around the house and hope it works?)?
Same with the PS3 and Xbox. Will the remotes, in your house, work 2-3 rooms away from the PS3/Xbox? (I would try it first before you put it in and find out your house has too much EMI to let the remotes work)
schan,
Thanks a lot for your input.
That Elite SC67 looks like a terrific option. I wouldn't mind spending the $1200 (price on Amazon) on that receiver. Just couldn't justify with the matrix switcher. Now I just gotta try and convince the girlfriend we need the receiver :D
I've also seen the Denon 3313CI comes with a built in matrix switcher. I can get a refurbished one for $700-$800. Do you know if the hdmi outputs on that receiver have any restrictions with 2.0 or 720p? I'm curious how the Elite SC67 is able to provide multizone output without the restrictions you mentioned?
As for the gaming systems, they are all in the same room as the displays. We live in a studio apartment so everything is within a 15-20 foot radius. The only display that's in a different "room" is the 24" kitchen TV. I wouldn't be gaming at all on that TV. But for the other 3 displays I'd just have to move the sensor on Wii since they are so close to each other.
But when it comes down to eat, I really don't NEED all the sources to run on all the displays. I can just try and cut down to the bare essentials if necessary. Thanks again for your help.

nthydro

Grip
Real Name
Chris Lee
schan1269 said:
By the way...
schan,
Thanks a lot for your input.
That Elite SC67 looks like a terrific option. I wouldn't mind spending the $1200 (price on Amazon) on that receiver. Just couldn't justify with the matrix switcher. Now I just gotta try and convince the girlfriend we need the receiver :D
I've also seen the Denon 3313CI comes with a built in matrix switcher. I can get a refurbished one for $700-$800. Do you know if the hdmi outputs on that receiver have any restrictions with 2.0 or 720p? I'm curious how the Elite SC67 is able to provide multizone output without the restrictions you mentioned?
As for the gaming systems, they are all in the same room as the displays. We live in a studio apartment so everything is within a 15-20 foot radius. The only display that's in a different "room" is the 24" kitchen TV. I wouldn't be gaming at all on that TV. But for the other 3 displays I'd just have to move the sensor on Wii since they are so close to each other.
But when it comes down to eat, I really don't NEED all the sources to run on all the displays. I can just try and cut down to the bare essentials if necessary. Thanks again for your help.

nthydro

Grip
Real Name
Chris Lee
schan1269 said:
By the way...
Thank you for the help. I'm not sure what happened but I posted a lengthy response to you and it said "your post is being held for moderation" :confused:
Hopefully it shows up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks