What's new

3D An in-depth look at...™ CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Here is our new article on the 3-D history of CREATURE, plus a review of the new Blu-ray.
http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/an-in-depth-look-at-creature-from-the-black-lagoon-1
We've included some original never-before-seen 3-D artwork from the studio files. I hope you will find it interesting.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Bob Furmanek said:
Here is our new article on the 3-D history of CREATURE, plus a review of the new Blu-ray.
http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/an-in-depth-look-at-creature-from-the-black-lagoon-1
We've included some original never-before-seen 3-D artwork from the studio files. I hope you will find it interesting.
Very interesting, but I have some questions:
What exactly is the "stereo window"?
What is 3-D Cancellation? What tvs have less than ideal 3-D cancellation? Why would it cause ghosting?
BTW: If this title is rereleased next year together with other Sci-Fi titles, I hope Universal will fix this issue.

GregK

Screenwriter
Hi Joe,
Stereo window is a term used to describe where subject matter is placed in stereoscopic (3-D) space. The "stereo window" being the display.
If an object appears to be behind the screen, it would be "behind the stereo window". If an object appears out of the screen, it would be considered "outside the stereo window". Where and how objects appears in stereo can be manipulated (reconverged) in post after 3-D shooting if needed. The amount of actual depth/roundness (3-D) is determined by the original spacing of the stereoscopic 3-D rig called the "interaxial". It used to be the interaxial aspect was forever baked in at the time of shooting and could never be changed, but thanks to expensive digital post production tools, that too can occasionally be ..somewhat tweaked.
In the review I originally was going to the use the more technical Z-space terminology with positive and negative parallax to describe the various changes in the convergence, but instead chose the "stereo window" wording, as I feel it is more descriptive and easier to follow.
3-D cancellation or ghosting is how well a given 3DTV cancels out the left image from the right eye and vise versa. Its a hard fact that not all yet fully realize: All 3DTVs are not created equal. Certain material will highlight those shortcomings in lesser 3DTVs. 3DTVs with less than ideal cancellation typically include LCD and LED active display sets, although some do much better than others. The passive sets typically fair much better and DLP's cancellation ranks the best, and is often better than theatrical IMAX and Real-D. Movies with higher parallax, or movies where convergence isn't always at the stereo window, and features with higher contrast in the background and foreground can all highlight ghosting in certain displays. These scenarios are often creative artistic decisions and not flaws in the original production or mastering.
Greg Kintz
Technical Director
3-D Film Archive
http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Wonderful review.

Moving the stereo window is such an odd choice, IMO. I guess Universal fears that if things aren't outside the stereo window people won't enjoy the 3D effect? Again, an odd choice.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Thanks Bob, surprised to learn that they "remastered" some of the 3D.

Looks like we have another thing fighting for now... it should be the original 3D, not remixed.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Greg and I have discussed this in depth, pun intended.
For the titles that we own, all alignment errors are being corrected. However, we are NOT altering the convergence because then you are changing the intent of the filmmaker. The directors and cinematographers were VERY careful where to place people and objects within the stereo window. If you start to change that, you're tampering with artistic decisions and we won't do that.
I feel we need to preserve what was originally composed in 3-D and not change it. That would be wrong on so many levels.
I suspect it was done on CREATURE to minimize the possibility of ghosting on active displays.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Bob Furmanek said:
...I suspect it was done on CREATURE to minimize the possibility of ghosting on active displays.
If Universal did alter the convergence (horizontal parallax), would that not in turn imply that what is on the final BD is not the complete "edge to edge" image from the OCN? The technicians would have needed some horizontal "wiggle room" with which to modify the convergence. Once they settled on the convergence they desired, they would need to zoom/crop the re-converged image to the final 1.85:1 AR, would they not? So in effect, modifying the convergence alters more than the stereoscopic landscape...it also results in some overall loss of horizontal information. Is this correct?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Yes, that is correct.
And there's no question about it; the convergence in the underwater footage has been altered.

BJQ1972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barrie Quinn
Bob Furmanek said:
Greg and I have discussed this in depth, pun intended.
For the titles that we own, all alignment errors are being corrected. However, we are NOT altering the convergence because then you are changing the intent of the filmmaker. The directors and cinematographers were VERY careful where to place people and objects within the stereo window. If you start to change that, you're tampering with artistic decisions and we won't do that.
I feel we need to preserve what was originally composed in 3-D and not change it. That would be wrong on so many levels.
I suspect it was done on CREATURE to minimize the possibility of ghosting on active displays.
I had a sense, immediately, that something wasn't 'right' with this transfer. I don't think they did what they did to compensate for active displays though. In my opinion active displays, on plasma at least, display this type of 3D perfectly.
I can only assume that this alteration to the 3d is due to inexperience, and lack of knowledge. Only when they involve people like Bob and Greg in the transfers will be sure that we are seeing what was originally intended.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Julie Adams just commented on the article on her Facebook page:
What an incredible article and pictorial. Fans of 3-D and Creature will love reading this!!! Thanks for sharing with our friends who visit this page!!! Best wishes -- Julie

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I've just updated the article with more information on Universal's change to widescreen cinematography. It can be found under "The Shape of Creature."

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Oops!
Greg and I will take care of that when we get back from LA at the end of the month.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Douglas Monce said:
Another great article Bob. I just have one bone to pick with you.....NO 3D IMAGES OF JULIE ADAMS IN THAT WHITE BATHING SUIT???? Shame on you!!!!
:D
Doug
Talk about wanting a Poke-In-The-Eye, In-Your-Face, Feels-Like-You-Can-Reach-Out-And-Touch-It experience. :cool:
David

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks