Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

An in-depth look at...™ CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,649 posts

Posted October 16 2012 - 07:21 PM

Here is our new article on the 3-D history of CREATURE, plus a review of the new Blu-ray.

http://www.3dfilmarc...-black-lagoon-1

We've included some original never-before-seen 3-D artwork from the studio files. I hope you will find it interesting.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 834 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 01:35 AM

Stellar! Thanks, Bob!

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,314 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 02:40 AM

Great stuff. Bob, where the hell do you get all this stuff from? Steve W
Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 03:09 AM

Here is our new article on the 3-D history of CREATURE, plus a review of the new Blu-ray. http://www.3dfilmarc...-black-lagoon-1 We've included some original never-before-seen 3-D artwork from the studio files. I hope you will find it interesting.

Very interesting, but I have some questions: What exactly is the "stereo window"? What is 3-D Cancellation? What tvs have less than ideal 3-D cancellation? Why would it cause ghosting? BTW: If this title is rereleased next year together with other Sci-Fi titles, I hope Universal will fix this issue.

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 965 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 05:15 AM

Hi Joe, Stereo window is a term used to describe where subject matter is placed in stereoscopic (3-D) space. The "stereo window" being the display. If an object appears to be behind the screen, it would be "behind the stereo window". If an object appears out of the screen, it would be considered "outside the stereo window". Where and how objects appears in stereo can be manipulated (reconverged) in post after 3-D shooting if needed. The amount of actual depth/roundness (3-D) is determined by the original spacing of the stereoscopic 3-D rig called the "interaxial". It used to be the interaxial aspect was forever baked in at the time of shooting and could never be changed, but thanks to expensive digital post production tools, that too can occasionally be ..somewhat tweaked. In the review I originally was going to the use the more technical Z-space terminology with positive and negative parallax to describe the various changes in the convergence, but instead chose the "stereo window" wording, as I feel it is more descriptive and easier to follow. 3-D cancellation or ghosting is how well a given 3DTV cancels out the left image from the right eye and vise versa. Its a hard fact that not all yet fully realize: All 3DTVs are not created equal. Certain material will highlight those shortcomings in lesser 3DTVs. 3DTVs with less than ideal cancellation typically include LCD and LED active display sets, although some do much better than others. The passive sets typically fair much better and DLP's cancellation ranks the best, and is often better than theatrical IMAX and Real-D. Movies with higher parallax, or movies where convergence isn't always at the stereo window, and features with higher contrast in the background and foreground can all highlight ghosting in certain displays. These scenarios are often creative artistic decisions and not flaws in the original production or mastering. Greg Kintz Technical Director 3-D Film Archive http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 17 2012 - 06:04 AM

Wonderful review.

Moving the stereo window is such an odd choice, IMO. I guess Universal fears that if things aren't outside the stereo window people won't enjoy the 3D effect? Again, an odd choice.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted October 17 2012 - 06:51 AM

Thanks Bob, surprised to learn that they "remastered" some of the 3D.

Looks like we have another thing fighting for now... it should be the original 3D, not remixed.

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,649 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 12:22 PM

Greg and I have discussed this in depth, pun intended. For the titles that we own, all alignment errors are being corrected. However, we are NOT altering the convergence because then you are changing the intent of the filmmaker. The directors and cinematographers were VERY careful where to place people and objects within the stereo window. If you start to change that, you're tampering with artistic decisions and we won't do that. I feel we need to preserve what was originally composed in 3-D and not change it. That would be wrong on so many levels. I suspect it was done on CREATURE to minimize the possibility of ghosting on active displays.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   JamesNelson

JamesNelson

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 12:36 PM

...I suspect it was done on CREATURE to minimize the possibility of ghosting on active displays.

If Universal did alter the convergence (horizontal parallax), would that not in turn imply that what is on the final BD is not the complete "edge to edge" image from the OCN? The technicians would have needed some horizontal "wiggle room" with which to modify the convergence. Once they settled on the convergence they desired, they would need to zoom/crop the re-converged image to the final 1.85:1 AR, would they not? So in effect, modifying the convergence alters more than the stereoscopic landscape...it also results in some overall loss of horizontal information. Is this correct?

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,649 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 12:38 PM

Yes, that is correct. And there's no question about it; the convergence in the underwater footage has been altered.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   BJQ1972

BJQ1972

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 01:52 PM

Greg and I have discussed this in depth, pun intended. For the titles that we own, all alignment errors are being corrected. However, we are NOT altering the convergence because then you are changing the intent of the filmmaker. The directors and cinematographers were VERY careful where to place people and objects within the stereo window. If you start to change that, you're tampering with artistic decisions and we won't do that. I feel we need to preserve what was originally composed in 3-D and not change it. That would be wrong on so many levels. I suspect it was done on CREATURE to minimize the possibility of ghosting on active displays.

I had a sense, immediately, that something wasn't 'right' with this transfer. I don't think they did what they did to compensate for active displays though. In my opinion active displays, on plasma at least, display this type of 3D perfectly. I can only assume that this alteration to the 3d is due to inexperience, and lack of knowledge. Only when they involve people like Bob and Greg in the transfers will be sure that we are seeing what was originally intended.

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,649 posts

Posted October 18 2012 - 06:00 AM

Julie Adams just commented on the article on her Facebook page: What an incredible article and pictorial. Fans of 3-D and Creature will love reading this!!! Thanks for sharing with our friends who visit this page!!! Best wishes -- Julie

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 18 2012 - 09:46 AM

Fantastic job!

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,649 posts

Posted October 19 2012 - 04:20 AM

Thank you, Russell.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,649 posts

Posted October 19 2012 - 08:03 AM

I've just updated the article with more information on Universal's change to widescreen cinematography. It can be found under "The Shape of Creature."

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,575 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 19 2012 - 02:38 PM

You can't ask for more validation than from the Creature's lady herself! Great job!

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted October 19 2012 - 06:45 PM

Here is our new article on the 3-D history of CREATURE, plus a review of the new Blu-ray. http://www.3dfilmarc...-black-lagoon-1 We've included some original never-before-seen 3-D artwork from the studio files. I hope you will find it interesting.

Another great article Bob. I just have one bone to pick with you.....NO 3D IMAGES OF JULIE ADAMS IN THAT WHITE BATHING SUIT???? Shame on you!!!! :D Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,649 posts

Posted October 20 2012 - 06:27 AM

Oops! Greg and I will take care of that when we get back from LA at the end of the month.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,670 posts

Posted October 20 2012 - 06:46 AM

Another great article Bob. I just have one bone to pick with you.....NO 3D IMAGES OF JULIE ADAMS IN THAT WHITE BATHING SUIT???? Shame on you!!!! :D Doug

Talk about wanting a Poke-In-The-Eye, In-Your-Face, Feels-Like-You-Can-Reach-Out-And-Touch-It experience. :cool: David

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,649 posts

Posted October 20 2012 - 07:17 AM

Until we're back from LA, will this hold you over?

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users