What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Prometheus 3D-- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm a Ridley Scott fan through and through. Have been since The Duelists (1977), expected out shortly on Blu-ray.

Alien (1979), sealed the deal, and spending a bit of time with Mr. Scott at an early screening of Blade Runner, allowed me to understand that we were dealing with a brilliant filmmaker.

I've read numerous posts regarding the pros and cons of Prometheus, but I've come away astounded by the film. I love it.

Taking the roots of the Alien films, and creating a cogent, thoughtful prequel, true to the lore is an extraordinary accomplishment.

This is the work of a mature, uber-intelligent filmmaker, and I can only compare it to Mr. Kubrick's 2001, in terms of its overriding view of the universe and creationism.

As I don't live in a bubble, I've also read some comments about the 3D Blu-ray not being up to snuff with the 2D. I can't comment as I've not viewed the 2D, and have no intention of doing so.

The 3D variant of this film is the go-to version.

As to the Blu-ray, it appears to be all that it should be. Shot with Reds, data comes out as data, and the resultant Blu-ray is nothing short of magnificent.

I'm going to shift gears here, and go somewhere that I normally do not.

Featurettes and documentary extras.

I've seen far too many of them. Going back to the '60s, when I worked on a few. Generally I can't stand them, as the back-patting gets a bit much. "Not only was she great to work with, the most intelligent actress on the planet, but she's great at practical jokes, remembers her lines, and never sulks in her trailer."

Uh, no thank you. Gag reels generally don't do it for me either, unless they're from the '40s.

What have we here?

Charles de Lauzirika, who I may in the future refer to as "Sir Charles," has created what is IMHO, the finest set of documentaries to accompany a feature on a high-end Blu-ray, in the history of mankind. He's outdone himself.

While it doesn't hurt to have both the confidence and cooperation of the filmmakers, to have the studio second the work seals the deal.

And this is what makes Prometheus, love it, like it, or hate it, one of the great blu-ray deals of the year.

My thinking to this regard, is that Mr. de Lauzirika's work is worth the price of admission alone.

$25 for a featurette?

Yes.

Especially, that that little featurette is almost four hours long, brilliantly constructed and beautifully made.

I'll make the following suggestion.

Don't yet have 3D?

Spend the extra $5 for when you will. It's worth the price of admission in spades.

Did I mention that the film is an extraordinary 3D work?

It is.

Everything's great here.

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Hear, hear. A stellar disc, and a very enjoyable film if one can set their expectations aside and just enjoy it for what it is. Bravo! :)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I've never been able to connect with Ridley Scott's work, though I see why many do.
However since I got the Blade Runner set just to watch Dangerous Days, I may get Prometheus just to watch the latest epic...

marshman1138

Stunt Coordinator
Best example of 3D in a home setting yet. Yes, I have Avatar, Hugo and Tintin. This one blows them away. The film? Near perfect. The supplements? What Mr. Harris said. Buy it in anticipation of own a 3D system if you don't already have one.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Moe Dickstein said:
I've never been able to connect with Ridley Scott's work, though I see why many do.
However since I got the Blade Runner set just to watch Dangerous Days, I may get Prometheus just to watch the latest epic...
That's basically exactly why I got PROMETHEUS :) It's definitely worth it, in my opinion. It's essentially identical to "Dangerous Days" and his "Alien Anthology/Quadrilogy" docs, only longer and more in-depth (if you can believe that).

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Robert Harris said:
I can only compare it to Mr. Kubrick's 2001, in terms of its overriding view of the universe and creationism
I can compare it to 2001, as well, but it doesn't fare well in the comparison.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Design aside, it barely fares well even in comparison to 2010.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I completely agree with Robert Harris. I absolutely loved everything about PROMETHEUS when I saw it theatrically and the Blu-ray is perfect. As he says, many "making of" self congratulatory documentaries are tedious in the extreme but this nearly 4 hour documentary is one of the finest examples of demonstrating the film making process. What's odd is the almost pathological hatred toward the film and towards those who admire it, from some quarters.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Same. I know a lot of people are hard graders on this one, and I don't criticize anyone for having opposing opinions in any event, but count me in among the thrilled.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I've seen the film in IMAX 3-D and don't have a 3-D TV yet. I do say the 3-D in IMAX was really well done... however I still believe that 2D isn't bad at all. This will be my only way of watching the film for probably many years to come as I won't buy another HD TV until my current one dies. However I always pay more for the edition that also contains the 3D copy the price is a no brainer. The DOC is worth it I'll admit however Dangerous Days was better.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Doctorossi said:
I can compare it to 2001, as well, but it doesn't fare well in the comparison.
I'm with you on this, and while I certainly don't begrudge anyone for enjoying the film I find the favorable comparisons to 2001 something of a slight to Mr. Kubrick's genius. :)
Beyond the gorgeous visual effects and production design, Prometheus left me in turn both annoyed and bored. I found it to be sloppy and pretentious with a poor screenplay and shallow characterizations. The only member of the crew that generated any empathy at all in me was David, and he was an automaton. Mr. Fassbender was the best thing about the movie IMO. His Peter O'Toole playing LoA impersonation alone was almost worth the price of admission.
The Blu-ray does indeed look stunning however.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
dpippel said:
I'm with you on this, and while I certainly don't begrudge anyone for enjoying the film I find the favorable comparisons to 2001 something of a slight to Mr. Kubrick's genius. :)
Beyond the gorgeous visual effects and production design, Prometheus left me in turn both annoyed and bored. I found it to be sloppy and pretentious with a poor screenplay and shallow characterizations...
Funny thing is, a lot of critics said the same sorts of things about 2001 when it first opened (and many people still do).
Vincent

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Vincent_P said:
Funny thing is, a lot of critics said the same sorts of things about 2001 when it first opened (and many people still do).
The irony was on my mind as I wrote those lines, believe me. :) However, as far as I'm concerned Prometheus is a minor piece of work that's just not in the same class as Kubrick's film. Perhaps time will be kind to Scott's movie, but I doubt it.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Even those who find 2001 dull and pretentious have to admit that it was unlike any film that had come before it - Prometheus, not so much.

Real Name
Anthony
Vincent_P said:
Vincent
That's true but where does that get us? I've seen this defence used for Prometheus as in "Blade Runner also got crappy reviews and that's now seen as a classic". Ergo...what, exactly?
Another one I find amusing is the argument that the various illogicalities and idiocies of Prometheus were purposeful because they wanted to create something enigmatic. And yet the whole genesis of the project came from the urge to "explain" the Space Jockey in Alien, perhaps the most potent mystery of that film.
One thing I know is that the first home release of 2001 wasn't advertised with the tagline "Questions will be answered".

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Anthony Neilson said:
That's true but where does that get us? I've seen this defence used for Prometheus as in "Blade Runner also got crappy reviews and that's now seen as a classic". Ergo...what, exactly?...
My point is, folks are questioning Robert for comparing PROMETHEUS to 2001, and I was simply pointing out that 2001 has had many of the same complaints that have been made about PROMETHEUS made about it.
Vincent

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Some might compare the two films; but beyond their ambitions and perhaps their production designs I surely would not.
I recall a comment by Gene Siskel where one of the Gemini or Apollo astronauts complimented 2001: A Space Odyssey because it offered up the (at least at that time and perhaps still in some ways) most realistic depiction of what it was like to be in Space. People may forget that Arthur C. Clarke collaborated with Mr. Kubrick on 2001 and on that basis I will put its credentials ahead of just about any other SF film every made. Because it was logical and realistic and at the same time knew how to present the enigmatic and unexplainable in a manner that permitted the viewer their own interpretations. Attributes which I would not confer upon Prometheus.
- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks