What's new

Walking Dead Season 3 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Since the premiere is tonight, as pointed out in the last thread, time for an official Walking Dead Season 3 thread!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
For those of us with DISH Network, which is still at war with AMC, the following link should allow us to watch the premiere. Looks like we may end up watching the entire season online, but extremely pleased AMC is doing this.
Don't know if AMC charges for viewing, but DISH told me a few months ago they'd reimburse me $2.00 for each episode I watched online until their lawsuit it settled.
http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2012/09/season-3-premiere-live-stream.php

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Excellent premiere. Definitely the strongest episode since the first season, maybe the strongest episode since the pilot. The schizophrenic feel of the second season appears to be behind us. Skipping ahead several months was a smart storytelling move, dropping us back into a group that is now a honed and hardened zombie fighting team. Moving to parallel storylines split between the main group and Andrea/Michonne cost the show some of its gripping immediacy and claustrophobia, but it was worth it for the extra energy that having some place else to go gives the show.
Absolutely loved the evolved credits sequence, in the same style of the original but with new imagery showcasing the new settings and the devolved state of the world. The original credits featured the immediate aftermath of a calamity, the new credits have worms and dirt and what comes after. Interesting that Lauren Cohan and Danai Gurira were added to the main credits, while Irone Singleton and Melissa McBride -- who've been with the show pretty much since the beginning -- still have not. Scott Wilson and Emily Kinney, who joined the same time as Cohan, likewise didn't make the cut. I'd say that the puts them at the front of the line for the chopping block, but being in the credits hasn't prevented them from killing other characters in the past.
The prison is fantastic. I wonder if they found an existing one to use, or if that's all built by the construction team. A really massive sense of scope.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The prison is fantastic. I wonder if they found an existing one to use, or if that's all built by the construction team. A really massive sense of scope.
Producer Glenn Mazzara was on Talking Dead tonight and indicated the prison was designed by Production Designer Grace Walker. He did not get into the specifics of the construction, but I believe everything you saw was built for the show.
Zombies in riot gear. Just awesome!
- Walter.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Adam,

You nailed every detail that made this show fantastic. Seeing the change in the group since leaving the farm was really something to behold. Carl has turned into a soldier. The relationship dynamics between Rick and Lori is painful (as is her prosthetic pregnant belly - that fricking bellybutton is almost more disturbing than some of the meat bags walking around). That final scene:

chopping off Herschel's leg was pretty cringe-worthy. Then the reveal of the survivors - can't wait for next week!.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Is the secret to The Walking Dead being great to have minimal dialogue?
Best episode since the pilot.
Loved seeing the characters evolve into a ruthless and efficient zombie killing unit.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Anyone else find themselves having to clear areas of walkers in creepy dreams last night? I sure had some disturbing ones .
Great episode!
I know the show veers from the established comics story, so even readers don't know exactly what to expect. But not having read any of the comics I have no real idea of what might be coming (which I prefer) at all. I thought Hershel was a gonner, and I was pretty upset at the prospect of his loss. It was wild, but logical, when Rick took his leg with the clean hatchet from the "medical kit". I understand that event happened to Dale in the comics. I hope Hershel pulls through.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Absolutely best episode since the pilot! Stupendously gore-tastic. Inventive (zombies in riot gear!), suspenseful and terrifying, and a real sense of dread and hopelessness.
Man, the episode made me feel claustrophobic for the team. They just couldn't get any breathing room.
Looking forward to watching how they handle the prison this season.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Upon further reflection, the "ankle biter" zombie that attacked Hershel feels like a cheat. Hasn't it always been 'scripture' that walkers are attracted to human scent and would immediately stir into action in the presence of a human. I don't think we have ever seen a zombie "napping" or using stealth to attack a victim. It felt wrong when I watched the episode and it still feels that way.
I suppose one could argue that the first rule of the zombie apocalypse is to never assume a corpse is dormant harmless, but still it feels at odds with every other attack presented on the show.
Edit: I incorrectly used dormant. I should have said harmless; because in fact the biter was dormant.
- Walter.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Walter Kittel said:
Upon further reflection, the "ankle biter" zombie that attacked Hershel feels like a cheat. Hasn't it always been 'scripture' that walkers are attracted to human scent and would immediately stir into action in the presence of a human. I don't think we have ever seen a zombie "napping" or using stealth to attack a victim. It felt wrong when I watched the episode and it still feels that way.
I suppose one could argue that the first rule of the zombie apocalypse is to never assume a corpse is dormant, but still it feels at odds with every other attack presented on the show.
- Walter.
Yes. Absolutely. I would have preferred if he had just not seen it (maybe a partial body on the ground) in the shadows and stepped on it or walked over it. But, this clearly was a "dormant" zombie "playing dead" until it jumped into action. Unless zombies now take naps...it was a cheat.

Dennis Castro

Second Unit
The ankle biter scene is consistent with past attacks by dormant walkers.
In the seires premier when Rick is Riding downtown on his horse there are dormant walkers on a bus that are awakened by either his smell or sound. They don't react immediately. The wait until after he had passed them by.
In season 2 when Shane throws the wrench at Rick during their fight at the school. It's obvious that there are dormant walkers inside the building. They don't react until the wrench smashes the window. Before that there was a gun shot and also Rick and Shane are pretty loud when they are fighting.
In Dale's attack the walker had been feeding on a cow. When Dale walked up to the cow the walker attacked him from the side and behind. It's almost as if the walker was feeding on the cow. Smelled or heard Dale (who is much more desirable pray)backed off then waited and attacked from the side and behind.
There is precedent for how the ankle biter reacted to Herschel walking by.
It's always been my take that the walkers can be as unpredictable as people. They can react differently to different stimuli.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Hasn't it always been 'scripture' that walkers are attracted to human scent and would immediately stir into action in the presence of a human. I don't think we have ever seen a zombie "napping" or using stealth to attack a victim.
No. We've seen seemingly dormant zombies before.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I enjoyed the episode a lot more than most of last season... but seriously, who would bring your only doctor onto a mission as dangerous as clearing out a dark prison?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Joe_H /t/324448/walking-dead-season-3#post_3989209
I enjoyed the episode a lot more than most of last season... but seriously, who would bring your only doctor onto a mission as dangerous as clearing out a dark prison?

I did love the strategy of just banging on the gate and waiting for them to come and then just offing them one by one. You think you could do that, rinse the hallway, repeat, over and over again to reduce population with less risk

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Mega ratings for the premiere, even without the DISH customers.
http://www.thehdroom.com/news/The-Walking-Dead-Season-3-Premiere-Ratings-Through-the-Roof/11444

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
The season opener impressed me because for the first time since the pilot you can feel the "Apocalypse" on the farm the degeneration of the world was'nt shown, more zombies, having to fight their way thru the hordes, running for their lives,starvation, being forced to eat Dog food, now that's more like it.

DaveMcS

Second Unit
Dave Scarpa said:
The season opener impressed me because for the first time since the pilot you can feel thre "Apocalypse" ,starvation, being forced to eat Dog food, now that's more like it.
Hey... if Dinky Di dog food was good enough for Mad Max.....just sayin' :D

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Not surprisingly, I didn't like the premiere as much as most, but it wasn't bad. It's just all the zombie killing gets boring for me really fast. It was a good set up though and looking forward to see how it unfolds. Definitely a drag being caught up now as I watched the first 2 seasons in a span of about 3 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks