Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Deeper bass

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   castlerock31

castlerock31

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 04:50 PM

I recently purchased a Yamaha YHT-397BL 5.1 channel 600w HTiB. I finished setting the system up, and the audio was great but the sub-woofer seemed a bit light for my taste. Set at the recommended level, the sub was barely noticeable in the 400 ft room. Yet if I turn it up, it begins to bottom out. I acquired a second Yamaha sub and ran a RCA splitter to power them both through the sub out. Now, with both speakers maxed the bass is decent but I was hoping to increase it considerably more. My next thought is to get an amp to increase their power. Will this work? How powerful of an amp do I need?

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted October 12 2012 - 06:17 PM

Your first mistake was buying a HTIB system. Then you had to buy a second sub because you weren't happy with the HTIB bass output. And now you want to buy an amp to help the subwoofers output. When you add all this up are you really saving much money over buying separates? I would suggest returning the HTIB if it's not too late, and starting a system with seperate components.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,481 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 12 2012 - 06:28 PM

You can't "add an amp" to a self powered subwoofer.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   castlerock31

castlerock31

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 06:39 PM

Right now I have a Yamaha system for under $500. Is a component based system possible for that price?

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,216 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 09:11 PM

Right now I have a Yamaha system for under $500. Is a component based system possible for that price?

You have a system that you don't like for $500. But you might consider is just getting a much better sub and just using it. (Sell the original one.) I suggest starting with Hsu or SVS.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted October 13 2012 - 01:25 AM

With the name "sub woofer", I wouldn't bet on it. What are your goals? Do you want to recreate the explosions in action movies? After looking at that system online, it looks decent except for the sub. It's a little 8" model tuned to about 35hz. You wasted your money on buying a second sub. The best value sub on the market is the $200 BIC F-12. If you want to take the next step up, it's the Epik Legend. From there, it's whatever your budget can handle all the way to Thor's Hammer by Wilson Audio ($20,000). http://www.wilsonaud...r_theater.shtml I only use Wilson as an extreme price point. I'd put my current DIY sub up against it any day of the week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users