What's new

Help me spend my $$ the right way (1 Viewer)

lipets

Agent
Real Name
Bob
I'm doing a new build so I can pre-wire during construction.
Evan afterwards I have full access to attic.
I was looking today at the local Best Buy HT stuff
We like the 55"60" LCD it will mount on a 10' wide wall the room is 10x14 with a 10 foot ceiling.
So the seating length to screen is 14', is that about the right size screen?
I think we like the flush clean look of in wall & ceiling speakers
They suggested a speaker on each side of the screen
one under the screen
two one the side
1 sub on the floor behind the seating.
I would like to know locations height off floor etc. so I can pre-wire.
And what type of wires to use, there are going to wood & metal beams.
The store give us their pick for equip
Marantz nr1403 ( the receiver can be built in also)
Speaker appear to be expensive I think?????
Speakercraft in wall lcr 3 five
B&W in wall cm663
Speakercraft in ceiling aim 7
all the above speakers can be directed within the mounting boxes.
Not sure of what the capabilities of today's tech can do.
display Laptop?
Want a remote with macros(what R those?), or plan on buying in the future?
May want 2nd/3rd zone?
Music
blu ray
Tv cable
what else can I get?
Don't need games.
Can a budget of $3,000-3500 cover it with less expensive speakers that are still good?
We are just seeking a nice average/good system we not looking for concert quality......
tks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Is this room going to be light controlled?
If so, pick a plasma over a LCD.
14ft away is "too far" for a 55". You'll need a 65" at least. A projector set-up would be even more appropriate.
The screen, no matter what you choose, should be "centered" to the middle being right at the "height of your head, seated".
Is there a reason for the in-wall?
In-wall cost more and offer less performance than "normal" speakers. Even the KEF T or Def Tech Mythos are better options than in-wall.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And to answer your questions...
display Laptop?
Yep, modern laptop have HDMI. A computer "can be" a DVR/Roku/Vudu/Netflix etc all rolled into one.
Want a remote with macros(what R those?), or plan on buying in the future?
Macros means 1 button push causes a "chain reaction". Meaning, one button push turns the display, AVR, STB etc on...instead of...
STB, then power.
AVR, then power.
Display, then power.
May want 2nd/3rd zone?
Want sound in a kitchen/bathroom/porch/garage from this receiver?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Marantz nr1403 ( the receiver can be built in also)
That receiver (or any receiver) should not be placed in a wall, both for ventilation and dust reasons. If you place it in a rack, you'll need to supply active ventilation, such as a fan.

lipets

Agent
Real Name
Bob
schan1269 said:
Is this room going to be light controlled?
If so, pick a plasma over a LCD..
No it is not one side is open to another room, in comparing a plasma next to a LCD, the LCD looked cleaner to both of us.
14ft away is "too far" for a 55". You'll need a 65" at least. A projector set-up would be even more appropriate..
We wanted the projector setup but were told if light can come in from the adjacent room it wouldn't work well.
Is there a reason for the in-wall?
In-wall cost more and offer less performance than "normal" speakers. Even the KEF T or Def Tech Mythos are better options than in-wall.
I didn't know that, just liked the look of the room built in, what wall mounted speakers do you suggest and if we still want wall or ceiling do you also have ideas.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
LCD looked cleaner than plasma...
That is a first. Of course you were at BB and not in a store where they know what they are doing...
Projectors can "work" in any room. You buy a "bright enough" projector and a "high gain screen". Again, go somewhere other than BB.
Flat speakers like the KEF T(which is arguably the best version there is) and Def Tech Mythos are made by darn near everybody.
KEF T
Def Tech Mythos
Pinnacle QP
Polk OW (anything by Polk that has an "OW" in the model number means..."on wall")
Here is a Screen Innovations demo in a bright room

lipets

Agent
Real Name
Bob
Ok, I saw the video, but that screen is about $2200, it would cost us less to darken the adjacent room two windows.
So a fixed screen, about $300, any particular type I would say about 90" Dia, because the wall is 10' wide x 10' tall need room for LR speakers.
Then the projector I see them for $400 and up.
It will be 14' away if I mount it on the wall but can mount it closer if needed from the ceiling.
Your thoughts on that idea.
By the way thanks for your help.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have a pair of revel iW80's which sound fantastic but they're not in a typical 4-6 inch wall, they're in a 24" deep enclosure. But still, the mids and treble response is very good. But any in-wall speaker will produce a different sound depending on the exact location they're installed. Just like regular speakers will sound a bit different in the store then they will in your house. On-walls can also sound fine. I have a pair Infinity OWS-1's I'm using as surrounds until I can find a pair of Revels at a reasonable price, which is proving difficult. The OSW-1's don't put out much bass but otherwise are very good for what they are. If I could find a pair of Revel tweeters I'd swap them in the OSW-1's and just keep them.
I would only use in-ceilings as the 6th and 7 channels or as general sound in a large community room or grocery store . But we all have restrictions we need to work around. And how far apart the front speakers are will greatly influence the sound quality. Most magazine adds show the front speakers right next to the screen but at a 14' viewing distance they really need to be farther apart. You should get the speakers first and find a way to place them in a few different positions before doing constrction, if that's possible. And no one can tell you where to put a subwoofer. Again, each room is different acoustically.
And whatever speakers you decide on don't skimp on the subwoofer. It's going to be much more important then usual with in-walls/on-walls. Also look at in-walls from monoprice.com. I've never owned them but have heard good things about them.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10837
Look into a Logitech Harmony remote control. Kind of pricey but members with families swear by them.
Sam, that screen demonstration was still un-watchable. No way I'd spend $3-$3,500 on on a home theater and wind up looking at that all day. No offense but... :) . I have an entry level 58" Panasonic plasma and my brother has a 55" Samsung LCD. His picture is much better than mine. much better. :( . But everyone else prefers plasma over LCD so there must be someting to it.

lipets

Agent
Real Name
Bob
lipets said:
So a fixed screen, about $300, any particular type I would say about 90" Dia, because the wall is 10' wide x 10' tall need room for LR speakers.
I just read up on the painted screen options, that looks like a better option, with the saving on the screen I have more in my budget for projector..
gene c said:
And whatever speakers you decide on don't skimp on the subwoofer. It's going to be much more important then usual with in-walls/on-walls.
That I already found out, tks
Sam, that screen demonstration was still un-watchable. No way I'd spend $3-$3,500 on on a home theater and wind up looking at that all day. No offense but... :) . I have an entry level 58" Panasonic plasma and my brother has a 55" Samsung LCD. His picture is much better than mine. much better. :( . But everyone else prefers plasma over LCD so there must be someting to it.
Agree on the LCD
I'll look at the mono price and Logitech stuff.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
So did you decide you're going with a projector and approx. 90" diagonal screen? I think you can probably fit a 100" diagonal screen, depending on the speakers you choose. Are you looking for projector recommendations yet?

lipets

Agent
Real Name
Bob
Yes I think I can go 100"
Yes I'm ready for ideas, but don't want to spend a million bucks,:D

lipets

Agent
Real Name
Bob
gene c said:
I
And whatever speakers you decide on don't skimp on the subwoofer. It's going to be much more important then usual with in-walls/on-walls. Also look at in-walls from monoprice.com. I've never owned them but have heard good things about them.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10837
I talked to tech support
There speakers are very reasonable, about $50, can that be correct?
Fronts 4100
rear 4103
Cen 6317
sub 8248 $60, I thought those were going to be more.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That was the first "demo" of the that screen I found. In OTHER threads on here you'll find similar/better demos of Stewart and more of Screen Innovations.
You can easily paint your own wall. There are numerous threads(and where I would suggest you start) over at ProjetorCentral...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/home.cfm

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The best spot for DIY screen ideas and paint formulas is Avsforum.com in the "DIY Screen" section. Be warned though, some of the guys there like to make things WAY too complicated. If your wall is not in real good condition with a nice smooth finish, the best thing to do is mount a seperate panel and paint that. That's what I did. I used 1/2" thick Medium Density Fiberboard and painted that. If you want to save a little weight, it's also available in 1/4" thickness. I painted the entire screen wall with a flat black finish. This eliminated the need for black border trim, and the screen appears to be floating in air.

lipets

Agent
Real Name
Bob
OK been searching here and other sites,

as of now I'll paint the wall for a 100" D screen it is new construction, i'll ask the spackler to do that wall with TLC.

I like the dLP 1080 projectors budget about 800-1200

Receivers I looked at i want more than 1 zone, (I would like to do the outdoor deck, simple speaker in few rooms nothing fancy,
7. channels thinking of onkyo 616 or denon 1913 (but it's $100 more) ??

That will leave about $1000 for speakers on a 5.1 system with a bic 12 @$200,

The 5 others we prefer in wall, been looking but really confused where the best punch for the buck is on those 5 speakers....

Need some input from U guys there,

rest of the budget on wire and misc stuff

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Since you aren't leaving yourself much budget...stick with BIC the whole way.
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-HT8W-Acoustech-Speakers/dp/B000B7NAP4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350226208&sr=1-1&keywords=BIC+in+wall (as far as I can tell, this is EACH)
Use those in your front LCR. In-ceiling BIC makes numerous varieties.
For $1000, you could do much worse. But BIC is about the best you are going to find at your budget.
Last time I demo'd those BIC, they beat these...one of the other speakers you can choose...and stay in budget...
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RC85i-In-Wall-Speakers/dp/B00006I5O6/ref=pd_cp_e_0

lipets

Agent
Real Name
Bob
Called Crutchfield,

They said to go all round with the same brand,

Said Klipsh is funny some don't like it because they have very high highs, so went thru two setups as follows.

Differential tech
C 2000 $349
L/R 1000
Rear DI 5.5 (in wall) $229ea or studio 45 $200 ea
Sub prosub 800 $400
$1550
Polk
C 255crt $350
L/R 65RT 200
rear 2 65 RT's or RTI A1 sold in pair $325
$1075

Can't find Bic's web site to look at those.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
BIC America. They started out as an importer of Dual and Wharfedale in the 1950s. Started their own stuff in the 70s.
http://www.acoustechspeakers.com/index.php
And of course Crutchfield said "stick with the same brand". You are supposed to. It is in the Audyssey, Dolby and "everybody elses" guidebook.
Definitive is one of the companies I said before.
It is up to you to decide "on the wall" or "in the wall".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks