What's new

Floor Standing speakers advice [Energy CF30 / TANNOY FUSION 4 or PSB Image T45??] (1 Viewer)

VanillaRice

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Im confused and becoming increasingly impatient on deciding which Floorstanders to buy. Since speakers are so expensive in NZ I can only obtain the speakers I want second hand (convert the currency in these prices and you'll see what I mean). A week ago I was too slow to act on a pair of Boston Acoustics A360's which someone else snapped up.
Can I get some advice on the speakers I've listed in the title? The links I've provided show the speakers I'm interested in. I Already have a mission M4AS subwoofer and a sony STRDN1020 reviever which I believe is 110w pc @ 8ohm (at a very generous 1kHz 1% THD) The setup will ultimately be geared more for HT use but I'm addicted to loud music aswell so it needs to cover all my bases (no pun intended).
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=522110362
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=521472790
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=521856135
Thanks in advance!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If it were me, just based on price, I'd slap a bid on the Tannoy.
The Energy aren't really in the same league as the other two. And here at least, the Tannoy cost more than those PSB.
However...
You have a modest amount of power...
The PSB are the most efficient. Here, the PSB is a $700/pair speaker and the CF30 is about half that. I haven't seen those Tannoy used(don't think they are made anymore...so completing the set could be really hard) in a long while.

VanillaRice

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
What about Klipsch F-30? I'm assuming they are another level above the ones that I've listed. Anyone had experience with these? They would put me over budget but I'd like to know what other people think of them.

VanillaRice

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
schan1269 said:
The Synergy line is the lowest there is. They shouldn't be in the same conversation.
IF this were RF, then yes.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=522673398
And yet they are the most expensive by far. Surely 60lb speakers with 2 x 8'' drivers must count for something (probably completely irrelevant knowing my limited knowledge). The price must be a supply and demand thing.
Can I get some clarification about driver size? Can I get good mid-low range with two 5 1/4 drivers? I'd probably have a crossover set for my sub

VanillaRice

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
schan1269 said:
The problem with the Synergy line is, it is "all treble".
Great for movies...terrible for music.
Yes I read the same thing. Personally I'm not a fan of the Copper drivers in the reference line either, too brash for me.
In order of preference I'm looking for good high frequency response / solid mid range, not too picky on bass as I plan to add to the mission sub I've already have. Build quality 2nd but I suppose they go hand in hand. I had a look at KEF's q500 speaker yesterday. I didn't get to listen to it, but it looked cheaply made to me.. a bit too much plastic and i think the 500's are a bit on the small side anyway.

VanillaRice

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
what about mission 753 speakers? I gather there about 10 years old now. Any advice on how they compare to the speakers I've listed so far? They're a bit more expensive but if looks are anything to go by, I'm sure they were top end at one point in time.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/home-audio/speakers-and-stands/floor-speakers/auction-523184739.htm
edit...
I just came across some mission E54 ex-demo's. I've been reading that their low end bass isn't the greatest but the mid and high's are to die for. This clearly is a level up from all the speakers I've listed so far. I could only find one picture of them and they look amazing!
Something I've noticed about my spending habbits, the longer I research something the more I expand my horizons and ultimately end up spending more :(
http://www.paulmoney.co.nz/shop/speakers/floorstanding/mission-e54floorstanding-speak/
12dee2fd_e54.jpeg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Those mission are "like butter to your ears"...
Do you like fresh butter on an English muffin in the morning with fresh strawberry jam?
Then those Mission will be that English muffin to your ears...
Without a doubt...I would choose those.
BTW, I'd take those 753 in a heartbeat. The E54 is "just as good sounding" but not as impressive in person(it is the Made in the UK vs China thing)

VanillaRice

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
I just went to the hifi shop and was un-aware the shop had two different outlets in my city! naturally I went to the wrong one. However, when I was there I saw some m64's that he was pushing for the same price as what I can get the E54's for. Can I get some opinions on these please? I didn't get a chance to test the m64's as I was on my way to work and didn't have much time.

VanillaRice

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
I'm bored at work and had time to copy paste the specs of these two speakers. They are going to do a side by side comparison for me when I go to the shop. Both places seem to be in favour of me going for the m64i's. But if the specs on paper are anything to go by, you would have thought its the other way around.

VanillaRice

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Ok I just tested the mission e54, m64i and energy c300 side by side in a sound room. Hands down the m64i outperform the e54. The c300 has slightly more bass (barely noticable) than the m64i but mids are far better on the m64i, very tidy sounding speaker.
They are all the same price.
e54's are all trebble, didn't like the sound they produced personally.
I've left it till tomorrow to decide.
One other thing, the guy in the shop said he prefers the c300 energy's over the cf30. But IIRC the cf30's are newer and have an extra driver and I can get them much cheaper (almost half the price) but the cf30's are being sold on an online auction so I have not heard them so can't compare.
Thoughts anyone?? I'm almost decided on the m64i's unless I can get swayed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks