What's new

Nashville Season 1 (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Watching it now... it's like Glee for country and western music. but older.
I didn't expect it to have so much music in it. I can't STAND the cryin and wailin...
The show is alright tho. just not sure how long I can put up with it.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I only caught half of it, and it was interesting enough to keep watching. Hopefully, I will get around to watching the entire episode today, and that it's better than Glee (which I bailed after 6 episodes).

Is the show filmed on location?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed it. All About Eve for the country music scene. There's some really nice touches in there, like the fact that Juliette Barnes's mother is an addict, and the revelation that Rayna married her husband to legitimize her older daughter (presumably conceived with her band leader). The only storyline that's not working for me is the husband's mayoral run, a little too "Dallas" for my taste.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Given the pedigree of show creator Callie Khouri (Thelma and Louise, Divine Secrets of the Ya-ya Sisterhood) , I should not have worried about this show, and after watching the pilot, I'm hooked! Sure, it features quite the estrogen-injected plot points, but it's still well-acted, and also enjoying the performances.
Is everyone doing their own singing on the show (auto-tuned or not)?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
Is everyone doing their own singing on the show (auto-tuned or not)?
Connie Britton and Hayden Panettiere definitely are. Sam Palladio, who plays Gunnar, is a British musician who plays guitar, bass, and drums. Clare Bowen, who plays Scarlett, has musical theater experience having starred in the Sydney Theatre Company's critically acclaimed production of "Spring Awakening". Lennon and Maisy Stella, the real-life sisters that play Rayna's daughters on the show, are apparently YouTube stars for their various covers of popular songs. I know they're regulars on "Ellen."
So the only question mark is Charles Esten as Rayna's bandleader (and probable father of her eldest daughter) Deacon Claybourne. But given then T. Bone Burnett is the music producer for the show, and given that all of the other cast members have a serious musical background, one would assume he's doing his own singing as well.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Yeah, I was wondering about the singing myself. Especially with the British and Australian in the cast, as they would not only have to speak with American accent, but also sing with it as well.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm really surprised how much I'm enjoying this. Connie Briton is fantastic, and the core situation of the romance on tour is actually one that I find "buyable".. young kids, just on the trail, have great chemistry, love each other... then one has a drug problem, and while he's in rehab, pressures to move to a more stable relationship come out.. and, being pregnant, the fallback happens "soon".

Meanwhile, Hayden's character really is better laid out then I thought - a teen bop type girl (think Taylor Swift, I suppose) who longs for real acceptance by not just the mass audience but by real musicians.. she wants people to recognize she has real talent and not just sex appeal, and she feels like the card to get that is to get the "old guard" on her side and to make music that she feels stands up.

I know above the comparison to Glee, but this has a lot more depth then Glee, and the decision to go with all original music content it seem (or at least these are all so far songs I think are original) is a gutsy one, and yet they've really nailed a lot of the country industry. I'm not a huge fan of the political angle, but everything about the tour, money, and the short lived nature of careers is really pretty damn good.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
As a former fan of country music (1960s, 70s, 80s), I think the music is pretty lame. Neither of the stars' singing is very good. Panetierre's is irritating.
All IMHO, of course.
My wife likes the program, so I may continue to watch.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It's not perfect, but it's a good mix of soap and concept. I kind of like that both of our lead characters have significant flaws that prevent us from really seeing one as a "good guy" "bad guy" setup; it's easy to dislike Hayden's character at first and the way they play the storyline of her family background is really good... it's such a good contrast with the rich-world upbringing of our other protagonist played very well by Briton.

Oddly, I find the storyline that right now works best is the B-storyline about the young bargirl who has some serious stage fright but real talent. The conversation about "I can't relate to someone who grew up so rich.." was a good moment.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by mattCR /t/324371/nashville-season-1#post_3993101
It's not perfect, but it's a good mix of soap and concept. I kind of like that both of our lead characters have significant flaws that prevent us from really seeing one as a "good guy" "bad guy" setup; it's easy to dislike Hayden's character at first and the way they play the storyline of her family background is really good... it's such a good contrast with the rich-world upbringing of our other protagonist played very well by Briton.

Yeah, I like how they showed both of them having trouble dealing with their parents, regardless of background.

I didn't think I would like the junkie mom subplot, but here, it works, as it gets Juliette all messed up. To a point where she ends shoplifting.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
It's not perfect, but it's a good mix of soap and concept.
This about sums it up. The plot lines are mostly soap plot lines, but they're mostly played "realer" than you'd expect. Rayna is used to being top dog where her world is law, and there have been some unattractive moments as she's struggled to adapt to a situation where that's no longer so. Juliette Barnes is absolutely fierce when it comes to her music, but relies to much on sex for validations in other parts of her life. The mother stuff really helps humanize her.
Oddly, I find the storyline that right now works best is the B-storyline about the young bargirl who has some serious stage fright but real talent.
I think that storyline is the least successful for me, because it's the most clear cut: is she going to choose the music or the boyfriend that's holding her back?
I thought the girls playing Rayna's daughters were terrific at the talent show; really good, but not so unbelievably good that you don't believe that they're kids playing at a school talent show.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Also, I have to give this show credit for actually filming on location, and not pulling the same stunt that "Memphis Beat" did.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Still liking the show, but mainly for the musical segments. At least it's not afraid to churn plot like "The Vampire Diaries" does. Otherwise it'd feel more plodding and slow.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
We've been waiting the whole run for Rayna and Juliette to face off against each other, and it was nice to see the chemistry there. After much wheel spinning with Scarlett and Avery, it was nice to see them finally embrace the inevitable and move on. This may be my favorite show of the new season. Love the music, enjoy the characters.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
For a while, it seemed like there were separate storylines going on, with Deacon being the only connection between all of them. And I almost comparing it to Treme, with the various storylines. Well, that and Michiel Huisman.

I'm still liking this show, and glad to see it got a full season pickup.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Don't like the chaste athlete subplot, but glad they moved on from the rehab-mom subplot. The show feels a little amoeba-ish to me at the moment, but the upcoming turns look to turn up some heat on the plots.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It keeps getting soap ire, but its surprising tat it keeps staying interesting. I think it could be better than it is, but its got enough positives that it will stick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks