• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 of 108 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,203 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 10 2012 - 10:47 AM

The CW's take on the DC Comics superhero Green Arrow premieres tonight at 8 PM. This is a world without superpowers, but a lot of DC Comics supporting characters will be popping up.

#2 of 108 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 10 2012 - 01:30 PM

I'm not sold yet, but it wasn't a bad pilot.   I'll leave it on my DVR for the time being.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 108 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,260 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 10 2012 - 02:20 PM

I quite enjoyed the premiere episode. It wasn't quite what I was expecting, and I'll certainly be back for more.

#4 of 108 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,741 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 03:03 PM

I had read that the series was going for a darker tone than Smallville and that was apparent in the pilot. The acting was kind of a mixed bag, but I expect (and hope) that some of the cast will grow into their roles. Had to shake my head at the abandoned warehouse as a base of operations, but this is a comic inspired series; so I guess that works within the confines of the genre. I'll stick around and see where this goes. - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#5 of 108 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 08:20 AM

I will definitely watch it a few more times.

#6 of 108 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,203 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 12 2012 - 02:11 PM

I enjoyed it, but it was kind of funny that the exterior for the Queen family mansion was the same as Lex Luthor's mansion in "Smallville." The Vancouver area must only have one gothic castle available for filming.

#7 of 108 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,260 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 12 2012 - 02:21 PM

I enjoyed it, but it was kind of funny that the exterior for the Queen family mansion was the same as Lex Luthor's mansion in "Smallville." The Vancouver area must only have one gothic castle available for filming.

That's just like "Stately Wayne Manor" that has been used as the exterior on countless TV shows.

#8 of 108 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,516 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 09:17 PM

I also enjoyed the pilot and will be watching until I loose interest. Hopefully it will do better than Birds of Prey.

all-banner.jpg

#9 of 108 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,203 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 13 2012 - 05:13 AM

For comics fans, a BIG spoiler photo about the season's big bad: [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]From IGN: Deathstroke![/SPOILER]

#10 of 108 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,203 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 17 2012 - 01:20 PM

I'm still enjoying the show, it definitely fills that "Smallville" slot for me, but I was struck tonight that the person you don't want to be is one of these crooks' henchman. The crook gets hauled away to prison, meanwhile the bodies of a half dozen of his subordinates are littered around the scene.

#11 of 108 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,260 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 17 2012 - 02:34 PM

I enjoyed the second episode as well, but I'm not quite clear on why Oliver feels his worldly identity has to be of a dissolute playboy. Can't he do good works as Oliver Queen AND take care of those who have skirted the law as Green Arrow? What part of his reasoning am I missing?

#12 of 108 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by MattH. 

I enjoyed the second episode as well, but I'm not quite clear on why Oliver feels his worldly identity has to be of a dissolute playboy. Can't he do good works as Oliver Queen AND take care of those who have skirted the law as Green Arrow? What part of his reasoning am I missing?

I think it's because when he left, that's who he was.  And if he make a radical shift there to good-guy, it will be harder for him to get close to the people on his list.

Really enjoyed the second ep.

trakt.tv

#13 of 108 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,203 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 22 2012 - 10:31 AM

Not a huge surprise given the ratings, but the CW has picked up "Arrow" for the full season.

#14 of 108 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,631 posts

Posted October 22 2012 - 10:36 AM

Glad to hear it. I've been enjoying it so far.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#15 of 108 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted October 24 2012 - 05:16 PM

Yeah, this show is a bit pulpy at times, but it does completely fill that Smallville type void.    Actually, CW has a pretty good Wednesday block here (for me).  I'm not sure how it works out in the ratings, but I enjoy both of these.

trakt.tv

#16 of 108 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,260 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 30 2012 - 08:31 AM

The ratings have been fine, definitely up from the shows that occupied the two hour slot last year.

I'm really enjoying the show and was surprised and pleased at the twist at the end of last week's episode (just now catching up with it). However, that bratty kid sister has got to go. There was some suggestion that maybe she was going to change (and anything would be an improvement), but she's a wasted character in a show that's already very full.

#17 of 108 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,203 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:53 AM

I'm really enjoying the show and was surprised and pleased at the twist at the end of last week's episode (just now catching up with it). However, that bratty kid sister has got to go. There was some suggestion that maybe she was going to change (and anything would be an improvement), but she's a wasted character in a show that's already very full.

If they go in the direction of the comics...[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]...she'll eventually bottom out with her substance abuse and Oliver will be the one to get her back to sobriety. In the end, she'll end up as his sidekick Speedy.[/SPOILER]

#18 of 108 OFFLINE   NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,606 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 03:14 PM

Cliff-hanger to tonight's episode. I wonder how Oliver will get out of it. Things started to look promising with Laurel, but then he got a bit carried away there ... Digg said it right after that - t he needed someone else to show him what he was becoming in his war.

#19 of 108 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,758 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted October 31 2012 - 03:50 PM

Thanks to a super special 30 Rock on NBC tonight and the BF recording Survivor, the Tivo didn't grab Arrow.  Ggggrrrrrr.....

I haven't had good luck with the show lately.  Last week's episode was missing the first 20 minutes of dialogue and now this.  Guess I need to find tonight's episode online tomorrow night.

Something struck me watching 1.03 tonight: this show looks, sounds and acts a lot better than Smallville really ever did.  Arrow looks expensive and like a legit production where Smallville, even in the later years, felt like the junior varsity playing around.  I've been very impressed by the show so far.

#20 of 108 ONLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,614 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 04:00 PM

Here in Chicago, tonight's episode was preempted due to a Bulls game. It will be shown on Saturday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users