Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Parts 1 and 2: Ultimate Edition

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 of 24 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,018 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted October 14 2012 - 07:42 AM

Well, this time there was only one press release, and it was for the combo pack.  There had been speculation here and on The Digital Bits that after the combo pack stopped being a Target exclusive and went wide that the set would be split into the usual dvd and blu ray options.  But that appears not to be happening since they made only one announcement and for the first time included dvds of the film in the set.  It's not like any of us who were buying the blu ray sets all this time were asking for dvd versions to be included this time.  So the fact that dvds of the film are included, and no simultaneous press release of a dvd set was announced, it looks like the dvd set purchasers won't be getting volume seven.  And unlike Jason, I am sorry that dvd buyers believed WB's ads that a volume seven was coming for them.

I hope there is indeed a forthcoming announcement for a dvd version, but it wouldn't follow WB's normal pattern for these releases to not announce and release them simultaneously.

#22 of 24 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,584 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted October 14 2012 - 10:02 AM

Sorry John.  We'll agree to disagree.  I will always maintain, though, that plans change.  Retail ads are created way ahead of their actual release date.  They can change.  Press releases and trade ads are created WAY in advance of the product hitting the shelf.  Plans do and frequently change.

#23 of 24 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,018 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted October 14 2012 - 10:18 AM

I get that Jason.  As I said, if it had been early in the series or even at the mid-point it would be one thing.  But volume 7 of 7?  All they had to do was press the last 2 exclusive one-hour docs on dvds in addition to the blus.  Not a major hardship or expense for the studio.  But as you said, we'll never agree on this.

Also, I have to say (and this is NOT directed solely or specifically at you Jason, but something I frequently see a great deal of today), I just don't get the current attitude that just because something happens from time to time, that it's right.  That is such an illogical premise.  "Businesses do it, therefore it is right to do."  When did "the ends justify the means" change into something people or businesses aspire to?

Anyway, moving on...    

#24 of 24 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,442 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted October 14 2012 - 11:20 AM

My guess is that the Ultimate Editions did not sell well enough to warrant separate packaging for a DVD release of the 7th set. It was cheaper for Warner to pursue a Combo Pack. And 2 additional DVD's would set the retail price at $75-$80, which is too high for it to sell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users