What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Cabin in the Woods -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Any dolt should realize that you don't offer yourself up to a Joss Whedon / Drew Goddard project expecting a "cute meet," boy meets girl. They each introduce their best friends to one another, and they all live happily ever after.

Not a chance. At the most simplistic, one or both of the friends will possess certain otherworldly attributes, and the entire film was kick into high gear within fifteen minutes, and leave half the audience behind.

And there will be blood.

So when two college age couples and a stoner buddy head out to a family member's cabin for a fun weekend in the country...

You're with me.

Cabin in the Woods, written by Whedon and Goddard, and directed by Goddard, takes all of those old teens in the woods / camp / haunted house / diabolical killers on the loose / victim coming back to claim more / horror / comedy / what's behind the door? / don't go in the cellar / fruit cellar / where's mother? / invite him in / don't invite him in / beware the full moon / don't let him eat that tana leaf / you're going to need a bigger cross / you can't swim in there / clowns / floating ghosts / get more garlic / multi-gilled creatures from the abyss / pin-heads / werewolves / magic boxes / old letter and diaries / ancient incantations / zombies...

I've never particularly cared for mimes, but don't recall one here.

And takes all of those things we've come to love / hate / fear / make us laugh or cover our eyes...

and stands them on their head.

Creating something that has never existed before. A dash of this, a bit of that...

and it works.

The Cabin in the Woods takes you places you've never been, beginning innocently, until you realize that it's a place you never want to visit.

I loved this film, for its pure visceral spirit, and its sheer chutzpah.

Photographed in S35 to a 2k DI on Fuji stock, the Blu-ray disc should replicate the look of the original, which I had not seen. One thing that I noted, and I'm hoping that it's by design, is that there are no black in the film. Anything black has a bit of a red push. Blood?

The audio is in your face, highly dimensional, and huge. Low frequency information will clean the lint out of your speakers, and have the neighbors calling the police. When all 8 channels are humming and rumbling a low tune, its going to get your attention.

I loved this dynamic film for all the places that it went, that have never been gone to before.

Terrific piece of entertainment.

A great Blu-ray.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thanks Mr. Harris. Loved the movie, looks like the blu ray is a winner also.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The best film of 2012 so far, IMO.

Saw it in the theater twice. Watched the commentary the other night. Essentially looked like I remembered it as best as I could tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks