What's new

Film noir and Carole Lombard - 2 new collections from Tcm vault collection (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Tcm is niw listing 2 new collections, for pre prder, one from UNiversal and anither one from Sony.
The first one FIlm noir, includes 3 films: Blue Dahlia, Phantom Lady and GLass Key ( actually I was expecting more than just 3 titles for this much antecipated box set).
The other collection, from Sony, brings 3 pictures starring Carole Lombard: No more orchids, Brief moment and Lady by choice. Nice surprise!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Dark Crimes - Film Noir Thrillers for Dec 3, 2012
Carole Lombard - In The Thirties for Jan 23, 2013
I agree that the Universal set is a bit chintzy both compared to the Sony/WB Noir sets and what Universal still has in its vaults unreleased. Shockingly, this is the first time Universal has taken the effort to do a noir set. Still, a good trio of films.
The Carol Lombard set looks like a treat, and all pre-code by the looks of it.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
I wish the Noir set had also included the original 1935 version of The Glass Key.
Agreed that 3 titles is a bit insulting given what Universal owns and when compared to other studios' Noir sets but they are 3 excellent films. Still, I bemoan the lack of NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES, CHICAGO DEADLINE, THE ACCUSED, MINISTRY OF FEAR, RIDE THE PINK HORSE, LARCENY, ONE WAY STREET, KISS THE BLOOD OFF MY HANDS, and so many others...

Im getting the Noir one. I have import DVDs of these but I suspect the TCM editions will look a little better and have some extras (I hope)

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
It's too bad Sony didn't partner with Universal on the Carole Lombard set; perhaps it could then have included some of Lombard's unreleased Paramount films, like Bolero and Rumba, and a few of the many Paramount films she did in the early 1930s.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
jdee28 said:
It's too bad Sony didn't partner with Universal on the Carole Lombard set; perhaps it could then have included some of Lombard's unreleased Paramount films, like Bolero and Rumba, and a few of the many Paramount films she did in the early 1930s.
... like SUPERNATURAL, and WHITE WOMAN.
But, in keeping with Universal's apparent go-it-alone strategy, no such luck. The TCM-Universal relationship is just for branding, and some fulfillment via TCM's site. But not for actual output.
It would be nice if Universal went the way of other library owners and partnered with TCM sister company Warner Bros.' Warner Archive, and really raised their DVD (OK, MOD... whatever...) output -- by pooling production/distribution/back-office resources. Based on what we've seen from other studios, the odds would grow dramatically that we'd see some of these relatively hidden gems.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
My ratings for the noirs:
The Blue Dahlia - 7/10
The Glass Key - 7/10
Phantom Lady - 8/10
I think this will be a "wait until I have some extra cash" set for me, if not a "pass" entirely. Definitely not a must-have. Very rare for a noir set not to have at least one title I'm dying to own. Some commentaries or something might have sweetened the deal.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I already have The Blue Dahlia and The Glass Key and I'm not going to "upgrade" just for Phantom Lady though I hear it's excellent.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Thomas T said:
I already have The Blue Dahlia and The Glass Key and I'm not going to "upgrade" just for Phantom Lady though I hear it's excellent.
You can get an excellent French Phantom Lady DVD. :)
I'll get the Lombard set, though.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I am very happy with the noir set . Both the Ladd titles are musts for me and Phantom Lady is not far behind .All three are very good films .

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll get both of them probably. I keep thinking I've blind bought enough of these films, but you know how it is when noirs and pre-codes get their hooks in ya!

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
I have the French disc and the French subtitles are optional.
Also DVD Beaver have reviewed the French disc so you can refer to it for a look at the quality, etc.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Excellent! I pre-ordered the Noir set and hope to order the Lombard set when it's available.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Weird, I pre-ordered the Lombard set yesterday. Wonder why it's not showing available now?

Product Description Status Quantity
Dark Crimes - Film Noir Thrillers DVD
SKU ID#6445-382488 Preorder
Estimated Ship Date: 2012-12-03 1

Carole Lombard - In The Thirties DVD
SKU ID#6445-382527 Preorder
Estimated Ship Date: 2013-01-21 1

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Not sure if i missed this in another thread or not . TCM shop has a Karloff crime collection up for pre order . The three films are , Criminal Code(31),Guilty Generation(31 and Behind the Mask (32) with Jack Holt . It has an April 15 release date .

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Behind the Mask (1932) (not to be confused with the Kane Richmond "Shadow" movie of 1946) is a fun Columbia mystery starring jut-jawed hero Jack Holt, with Karloff in a supporting bad-guy role. The real star is Edward van Sloan as a villainous physician. A nice print has aired on TCM; 16mm-based DVDs abound. Nice to see Columbia issuing this (via TCM branding). Here's hoping they issue a nice DVD of Night of Terror (1933), The Menace (1932), Fog (1933) and The Ninth Guest (1934), though I'm less optimistic about those seeing the light of day on DVD since they haven't aired on TCM -- usually a sure sign that good 35mm prints can't be found and/or a film's tied up in Rights Hell ...

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Camps said:
Behind the Mask (1932) (not to be confused with the Kane Richmond "Shadow" movie of 1946) is a fun Columbia mystery starring jut-jawed hero Jack Holt, with Karloff in a supporting bad-guy role. The real star is Edward van Sloan as a villainous physician. A nice print has aired on TCM; 16mm-based DVDs abound. Nice to see Columbia issuing this (via TCM branding). Here's hoping they issue a nice DVD of Night of Terror (1933), The Menace (1932), Fog (1933) and The Ninth Guest (1934), though I'm less optimistic about those seeing the light of day on DVD since they haven't aired on TCM -- usually a sure sign that good 35mm prints can't be found and/or a film's tied up in Rights Hell ...
Columbia no longer owns THE MENACE. As for the other three, you must remember that just because a movie doesn't have a digital master doesn't mean it hasn't been preserved on film. THE NINTH GUEST definitely exists in a gorgeous restored 35mm print we ran at Cinecon a few years ago. Mike S.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
cadavra said:
Columbia no longer owns THE MENACE. As for the other three, you must remember that just because a movie doesn't have a digital master doesn't mean it hasn't been preserved on film. THE NINTH GUEST definitely exists in a gorgeous restored 35mm print we ran at Cinecon a few years ago. Mike S.
Well, hey, Mike... can you hook us all up? Any way of putting in a word with the owner of that 35mm Cinecon print about licensing a video master...? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks