-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Any Information On Warners Releasing More John Wayne's Movies On Blu-Ray?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 MCCLOUD

MCCLOUD

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 09:37 AM

I sure wish Warner Brothers would release more John Wayne movies on Blu-Ray! Does anyone know if Warners has any plans for the following John Wayne movies on Blu-Ray? MCQ 1974 The Train Robbers 1973 Chisum 1970 Thanks for any information! God Bless! Robert

#2 of 31 John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 732 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted October 14 2012 - 05:29 AM

Visiting this page Warner is under the wrong impression that only gay people buying old stuff.That's why they are mainly focused on bringing gay favorites to Blu-ray format.There's no room for manly men/macho movies at Warner.Keep longing for Duke's movies.I'll do the same for Peckinpah's stuff.Hopefully Olive Films will take over their complete catalogue soon!

I would really like to see Chisum on BD. It has a strong look on DVD and would probably look really nice. I also wish Universal would put out The War Wagon, and Paramount El Dorado and The Sons Of Katie Elder. These are all great, entertaining John Wayne movies.

#3 of 31 Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted October 14 2012 - 06:08 AM

Sons of Katie Elder being Paramount brings up the other John Waynes I'd like to see: High and the Mighty, Island in the Sky, The Shootist, etc. Universal also has Rooster Cogburn.

#4 of 31 jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Second Unit

• 489 posts

Posted October 15 2012 - 11:50 AM

Yes, McQ would look great on blu.  Also, The Train Robbers is a highly under-rated film.  Lots of good interaction between all the leads.  Chisum, meh...I was never too hot on, so I could wait for that one.

What I'd really like to see, is Warner release those 6 John Wayne westerns he made for the studio back in 1932-33.  He remade a number of Ken Maynard silent westerns, and I love them all.

#5 of 31 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,132 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 15 2012 - 11:52 AM

Rooster Cogburn on DVD is non-anamorphic and a real low-res pain to watch.

#6 of 31 WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted October 15 2012 - 12:19 PM

Rooster Cogburn, Chisum and Sons of Katie Elder would be nice.

#7 of 31 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,847 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 03:44 AM

Rooster Cogburn, Chisum and Sons of Katie Elder would be nice.

Rooster Cogburn is a Universal title. It was anamorphic on the John Wayne Sceen Legends Collection but not on the standalone DVD.

#8 of 31 jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Second Unit

• 489 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes 

Rooster Cogburn is a Universal title. It was anamorphic on the John Wayne Sceen Legends Collection but not on the standalone DVD.

Correct.  Same with Hellfighters and The War Wagon.

#9 of 31 AL KUENSTER

AL KUENSTER

Second Unit

• 359 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 08:23 AM

Would really like to see The Quiet Man on BR
Al Kuenster

#10 of 31 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted October 17 2012 - 10:16 AM

After the release of Fort Apache earlier this year, I was hoping for She Wore A Yellow Ribbon later this year. Oh well, maybe next year along with The Quiet Man from Olive, & who knows, MGM Holdings might come to their senses & do the right thing by The Alamo!

#11 of 31 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,415 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 17 2012 - 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Billy Batson 

After the release of Fort Apache earlier this year, I was hoping for She Wore A Yellow Ribbon later this year. Oh well, maybe next year along with The Quiet Man from Olive, & who knows, MGM Holdings might come to their senses & do the right thing by The Alamo!

I'm pretty sure that the Warner people would love to release this beautiful film on BD.  Being an RKO release, I'm not so sure about the condition of the film elements.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#12 of 31 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted October 17 2012 - 11:13 AM

I'm pretty sure that the Warner people would love to release this beautiful film on BD.  Being an RKO release, I'm not so sure about the condition of the film elements. Crawdaddy

She Wore A yellow Ribbon - Yeah, it was restored & the Warner DVD looks quite stunning, I know that doesn't always translate to a great looking Blu-ray, but fingers crossed!

#13 of 31 jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Second Unit

• 489 posts

Posted October 19 2012 - 03:06 AM

I just watched "The War Wagon", from the John Wayne Sceen Legends Collection last night.  I put it into my bluray player, and the upconverted image looks marvelous.  Going to watch Hellfighters next, and am expecting the same excellent quality. 

I owned the single disc releases of these films, until I found out they were non-anamorphic.  So very glad I picked up this collection!

#14 of 31 John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 732 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted October 19 2012 - 03:58 AM

I just watched "The War Wagon", from the John Wayne Sceen Legends Collection last night.  I put it into my bluray player, and the upconverted image looks marvelous.  Going to watch Hellfighters next, and am expecting the same excellent quality.  I owned the single disc releases of these films, until I found out they were non-anamorphic.  So very glad I picked up this collection!

Bring on the Blu-rays, Universal!

#15 of 31 lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,144 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted October 19 2012 - 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by AL KUENSTER 

Would really like to see The Quiet Man on BR

The Quiet Man is a Republic catalog title owned by Paramount/Viacom that's currently slated for 2013 BD release via their licensing agreement with Olive Films in a newly-restored edition...here's hoping that it's done right!!!

#16 of 31 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted October 19 2012 - 10:22 PM

Bring on the Blu-rays, Universal!

Bring on the Blu-rays, Paramount! They have lots of the Duke's movies.

#17 of 31 Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot

Supporting Actor

• 643 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted October 22 2012 - 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by lukejosephchung The Quiet Man is a Republic catalog title owned by Paramount/Viacom that's currently slated for 2013 BD release via their licensing agreement with Olive Films in a newly-restored edition...here's hoping that it's done right!!!

My only fear is: what restoration are they using? In the Olive Films thread in the DVD group, it's been posted by member "MisterLime", who keeps us up on the Olive Film's release slate, that there were "problems" with the UCLA restoration - implying that it wasn't complete. However, Bob Furmanek followed up with the fact that a full and complete restoration was completed by UCLA with all kinds of usable elements - new negatives, IPs, restored prints, etc..., and had all been done for some time - just waiting to be used. Maybe the "problem" was in securing the elements from UCLA for transfer in the first place, but "Mr. Lime" never followed up. But, anything has to be better that same blown-out, oversaturated transfer we've been subjected to on VHS, Laserdisc and DVD since 1993... Right?
Joel

#18 of 31 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted October 23 2012 - 04:46 AM

Maybe the "problem" was in securing the elements from UCLA for transfer in the first place, but "Mr. Lime" never followed up. But, anything has to be better that same blown-out, oversaturated transfer we've been subjected to on VHS, Laserdisc and DVD since 1993... Right?

Yeah, the version that shows up TV is unwatchable. I grew to love this film watching it on the telly in the UK in the late 50's & 60's, so I only saw it in b/w. I understand the weather was bad in Ireland when they shot it, but the cinematography won an Oscar for Winton Hoch, so I'd think it should look pretty good. Something to look forward to next year.

#19 of 31 Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 12:00 AM

I just watched "The War Wagon", from the John Wayne Sceen Legends Collection last night.  I put it into my bluray player, and the upconverted image looks marvelous.  Going to watch Hellfighters next, and am expecting the same excellent quality.  I owned the single disc releases of these films, until I found out they were non-anamorphic.  So very glad I picked up this collection!

I'm not. Except for "Reap," they're two to a disc, and "Rooster Cogburn" and "Hellfighters" are on a doube-sided disc. Typical el cheapo Universal release. As far as I'm concerned, a waste of money.

#20 of 31 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted October 29 2012 - 06:16 AM

Ah, The Quiet Man in January, what a great start to the year!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users