What's new

Any Information On Warners Releasing More John Wayne's Movies On Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I sure wish Warner Brothers would release more John Wayne movies on Blu-Ray! Does anyone know if Warners has any plans for the following John Wayne movies on Blu-Ray?
MCQ 1974
The Train Robbers 1973
Chisum 1970
Thanks for any information!
God Bless!
Robert

Ratko Mladic

BANNED
Visiting this page Warner is under the wrong impression that only gay people buying old stuff.That's why they are mainly focused on bringing gay favorites to Blu-ray format.There's no room for manly men/macho movies at Warner.Keep longing for Duke's movies.I'll do the same for Peckinpah's stuff.Hopefully Olive Films will take over their complete catalogue soon!

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Ratko Mladic said:
Visiting this page Warner is under the wrong impression that only gay people buying old stuff.That's why they are mainly focused on bringing gay favorites to Blu-ray format.There's no room for manly men/macho movies at Warner.Keep longing for Duke's movies.I'll do the same for Peckinpah's stuff.Hopefully Olive Films will take over their complete catalogue soon!
I would really like to see Chisum on BD. It has a strong look on DVD and would probably look really nice. I also wish Universal would put out The War Wagon, and Paramount El Dorado and The Sons Of Katie Elder. These are all great, entertaining John Wayne movies.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Sons of Katie Elder being Paramount brings up the other John Waynes I'd like to see: High and the Mighty, Island in the Sky, The Shootist, etc. Universal also has Rooster Cogburn.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Yes, McQ would look great on blu. Also, The Train Robbers is a highly under-rated film. Lots of good interaction between all the leads. Chisum, meh...I was never too hot on, so I could wait for that one.

What I'd really like to see, is Warner release those 6 John Wayne westerns he made for the studio back in 1932-33. He remade a number of Ken Maynard silent westerns, and I love them all.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Rooster Cogburn on DVD is non-anamorphic and a real low-res pain to watch.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
WadeM said:
Rooster Cogburn, Chisum and Sons of Katie Elder would be nice.
Rooster Cogburn is a Universal title. It was anamorphic on the John Wayne Sceen Legends Collection but not on the standalone DVD.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by JoeDoakes /t/324341/any-information-on-warners-releasing-more-john-waynes-movies-on-blu-ray#post_3989916
Rooster Cogburn is a Universal title. It was anamorphic on the John Wayne Sceen Legends Collection but not on the standalone DVD.
Correct. Same with Hellfighters and The War Wagon.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
After the release of Fort Apache earlier this year, I was hoping for She Wore A Yellow Ribbon later this year. Oh well, maybe next year along with The Quiet Man from Olive, & who knows, MGM Holdings might come to their senses & do the right thing by The Alamo!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Billy Batson /t/324341/any-information-on-warners-releasing-more-john-waynes-movies-on-blu-ray#post_3990093
After the release of Fort Apache earlier this year, I was hoping for She Wore A Yellow Ribbon later this year. Oh well, maybe next year along with The Quiet Man from Olive, & who knows, MGM Holdings might come to their senses & do the right thing by The Alamo!
I'm pretty sure that the Warner people would love to release this beautiful film on BD. Being an RKO release, I'm not so sure about the condition of the film elements.

Crawdaddy

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Robert Crawford said:
I'm pretty sure that the Warner people would love to release this beautiful film on BD.  Being an RKO release, I'm not so sure about the condition of the film elements.
Crawdaddy
She Wore A yellow Ribbon - Yeah, it was restored & the Warner DVD looks quite stunning, I know that doesn't always translate to a great looking Blu-ray, but fingers crossed!

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
[SIZE= 16px]I just watched "The War Wagon", from the John Wayne Sceen Legends Collection last night. I put it into my bluray player, and the upconverted image looks marvelous. Going to watch Hellfighters next, and am expecting the same excellent quality. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]I owned the single disc releases of these films, until I found out they were non-anamorphic. So very glad I picked up this collection![/SIZE]

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
jim_falconer said:
I just watched "The War Wagon", from the John Wayne Sceen Legends Collection last night.  I put it into my bluray player, and the upconverted image looks marvelous.  Going to watch Hellfighters next, and am expecting the same excellent quality. 
I owned the single disc releases of these films, until I found out they were non-anamorphic.  So very glad I picked up this collection!
Bring on the Blu-rays, Universal!

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by AL KUENSTER /t/324341/any-information-on-warners-releasing-more-john-waynes-movies-on-blu-ray#post_3990040
Would really like to see The Quiet Man on BR
The Quiet Man is a Republic catalog title owned by Paramount/Viacom that's currently slated for 2013 BD release via their licensing agreement with Olive Films in a newly-restored edition...here's hoping that it's done right!!!

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Originally Posted by lukejosephchung
The Quiet Man is a Republic catalog title owned by Paramount/Viacom that's currently slated for 2013 BD release via their licensing agreement with Olive Films in a newly-restored edition...here's hoping that it's done right!!!
My only fear is: what restoration are they using? In the Olive Films thread in the DVD group, it's been posted by member "MisterLime", who keeps us up on the Olive Film's release slate, that there were "problems" with the UCLA restoration - implying that it wasn't complete. However, Bob Furmanek followed up with the fact that a full and complete restoration was completed by UCLA with all kinds of usable elements - new negatives, IPs, restored prints, etc..., and had all been done for some time - just waiting to be used.
Maybe the "problem" was in securing the elements from UCLA for transfer in the first place, but "Mr. Lime" never followed up.
But, anything has to be better that same blown-out, oversaturated transfer we've been subjected to on VHS, Laserdisc and DVD since 1993...
Right?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Joel Fontenot said:
Maybe the "problem" was in securing the elements from UCLA for transfer in the first place, but "Mr. Lime" never followed up.
But, anything has to be better that same blown-out, oversaturated transfer we've been subjected to on VHS, Laserdisc and DVD since 1993...
Right?
Yeah, the version that shows up TV is unwatchable. I grew to love this film watching it on the telly in the UK in the late 50's & 60's, so I only saw it in b/w. I understand the weather was bad in Ireland when they shot it, but the cinematography won an Oscar for Winton Hoch, so I'd think it should look pretty good. Something to look forward to next year.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
jim_falconer said:
I just watched "The War Wagon", from the John Wayne Sceen Legends Collection last night.  I put it into my bluray player, and the upconverted image looks marvelous.  Going to watch Hellfighters next, and am expecting the same excellent quality. 
I owned the single disc releases of these films, until I found out they were non-anamorphic.  So very glad I picked up this collection!
I'm not. Except for "Reap," they're two to a disc, and "Rooster Cogburn" and "Hellfighters" are on a doube-sided disc. Typical el cheapo Universal release. As far as I'm concerned, a waste of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks