What's new

Film Chest to release PITFALL (1948) on Dec 11 (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Classicflix has announced that the noir film Pitfall starring Dick Powell and Lizabeth Scott is finally on its way to DVD.
I'm a bit mixed on this as Film Chest's previous releases, which are often Blu-ray/DVD combo packs used too much DNR processing when attempting to filter out imperfections. I'm hoping that this one, being released solely on DVD, will have less interference or at least make it less obvious to the naked eye. And a good source element would be nice.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
A very good noir with Dick Powell . Very interested in hearing how this release turns out .

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Didn't Warner Archives release this on DVD-R not so very long ago? I swear I read reports that picture quality was pretty bad.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Pitfall is not part of the Warners Archives and this will be, to the best of my knowledge, its DVD debut.
The laser disc of Pitfall was put out by the Republic/Artisan/Lionsgate group so I somehow expected it to be part of the Olive releases of their product via the Paramount deal. Guess not.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Film Chest works almost exclusively in PD material using museum or collector's prints. So if they wanted, Olive could still do PITFALL with whatever better materials are in Paramount's vaults, but if Film Chest follows through with this release, Olive will obviously be disinclined to do so.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
GregoryMesh said:
It was released on poor DVD-R by Synergy that I reviewed for DVD Beaver.
That must be what I was thinking of. Thank you.

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
Mark Edward Heuck said:
Film Chest works almost exclusively in PD material using museum or collector's prints. So if they wanted, Olive could still do PITFALL with whatever better materials are in Paramount's vaults, but if Film Chest follows through with this release, Olive will obviously be disinclined to do so.
It's too bad they always crank the DNR to 11, otherwise this would provide interesting potential releases. I would rather have an entirely untouched HD transfer of a 35mm print than the waxy, overly bright picture of their Blu-Ray of The Stranger.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
True, but their release of The Red House, while not perfect, is still the best edition of that film available.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Not a great print . But I'm still glad to have it . Good film . Better than nothing .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks