Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: A Star Is Born (1976) Blu-ray Book

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,545 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 05:36 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted October 09 2012 - 05:59 AM

Good to see this. This film is extremely and unfairly underrated. It is certainly not as good as the classic 1954 version, but, hey, it doesn't have to be. The basic plot may be the same but many other things are simply quite different--different time and place. Some plots are so elemental that we can expect to see them over and over. Romeo and Juliet, and A Star Is Born.

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,320 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted October 09 2012 - 08:11 AM

Anyone else taking note of the lower retail prices for the WB Digibooks from WB? This and Cabaret retail priced at 27.99

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   Mr. Pacino

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 08:22 AM

by the way, elvis was streisand´s first choice for the male role but elvis´s manager- the legendary colonel tom parker- refused steisand´s offer.

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,648 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 08:53 AM

Elvis wasn't interested but didn't want to turn down Streisand. She had pitched it to him backstage in Vegas and was very anxious for his participation. He instructed Parker to make so many demands that he would be dropped from the running. He was not in a good place at that point in his life. Depression and pills had taken over. Sound familiar?

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,456 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted October 09 2012 - 11:05 AM

That's a shame.  While Elvis was no great shakes as an actor, it might have been a more compelling film with him.

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   Trentrunner

Trentrunner

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 11:44 AM

I love this movie. It's the greatest vanity production of all time, and contains my favorite credit of all time: Ms. Streisand's wardrobe...............................her closet

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,648 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 06:37 PM

That's a shame.  While Elvis was no great shakes as an actor, it might have been a more compelling film with him. 

He could rise to the occasion when challenged with an intelligent script and a good director. Check out KING CREOLE and FLAMING STAR.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Second Unit

• 444 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 08:11 PM

Day 1 for me. Saw this in 70mm in 5 cinemas in london with some Dolby and non Dolby encoded 6-track prints. The DVD was pretty good but they removed the original WB logo and First Artists logo and replaced it with a Time Warner logo. I think also Ms Streisand might check this out as she did with the line up and 70mm prints on release. This also was the 1st Film in Dolby Stereo Optical Surround .

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,456 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek 

He could rise to the occasion when challenged with an intelligent script and a good director. Check out KING CREOLE and FLAMING STAR.

Well, of course, that let's out A Star is Born. Posted Image 

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   WilliamMcK

WilliamMcK

Stunt Coordinator

• 195 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted October 10 2012 - 04:53 AM

Day 1 for me. Saw this in 70mm in 5 cinemas in london with some Dolby and non Dolby encoded 6-track prints.

Was the 70mm version cropped or pillar-boxed? I'm assuming that it was a 70mm blow-up -- wasn't the the '76 Star Is Born shot spherically on 35mm and framed for 1.85?

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   Mr. Pacino

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 06:02 AM

Elvis wasn't interested but didn't want to turn down Streisand. She had pitched it to him backstage in Vegas and was very anxious for his participation. He instructed Parker to make so many demands that he would be dropped from the running. He was not in a good place at that point in his life. Depression and pills had taken over. Sound familiar?

That´s not correct! Elvis want to do the part desperately but The Colonel made demands that the Streisand camp refused to fulfill. All of the so called "Memphis Mafia" guys and Priscilla also said that Elvis was in a very bad mood after Colonel Parker didn´t accept the offer. They said that Parker destroyed Elvis´s life by not accepting the offer. That could have been a new challenge for Elvis and maybe changed his life away from drugs. Your statement that Elvis instructed Parker not to accept the offer is pure nonsense and not right!

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 589 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 06:44 AM

That´s not correct! Elvis want to do the part desperately but The Colonel made demands that the Streisand camp refused to fulfill. All of the so called "Memphis Mafia" guys and Priscilla also said that Elvis was in a very bad mood after Colonel Parker didn´t accept the offer. They said that Parker destroyed Elvis´s life by not accepting the offer. That could have been a new challenge for Elvis and maybe changed his life away from drugs. Your statement that Elvis instructed Parker not to accept the offer is pure nonsense and not right!

Well now you've got me curious! Could either of you provide a source for the conflicting statements you've made?

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,648 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 07:00 AM

http://www.elvis-col...is born#p978387

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,545 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 07:16 AM

Now available for preorder on Amazon

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 09:17 AM

Speaking as a Streisand fan who saw this at the Ziegfeld Theater in NYC, God this was an awful movie. For anyone looking forward to this release I hope you enjoy it and it meets all your expectations. I wish Columbia would open its vaults and release all their Streisand films starting with Funny Girl.and the Way We Were. I would love to see the political stuff put back into the Way We Were so that the ending made more sense. However the director, Sidney Pollack didn't want it in so I guess that makes it unacceptable to include

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted October 10 2012 - 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Garysb 

Speaking as a Streisand fan who saw this at the Ziegfeld Theater in NYC, God this was an awful movie. For anyone looking forward to this release I hope you enjoy it and it meets all your expectations.
I wish Columbia would open its vaults and release all their Streisand films starting with Funny Girl.and the Way We Were. I would love to see the political stuff put back into the Way We Were so that the ending made more sense. However the director, Sidney Pollack didn't want it in so I guess that makes it unacceptable to include

On a magazine article detailing the Lawrence Of Arabia 50th Anniversary restoration, Sony's Grover Crisp has already said there will be a 45th Anniversary restoration blu-ray release of "Funny Girl"in 2013, so part of your wish is already on the way...Sony's also releasing restored blu-rays of "On The Waterfront"(via Criterion) and "The Last Detail" next year...Posted Image

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 10:39 AM

Wow! Thanks for the update. Hope we finally get some cool extras like the full version of The Swan and a commentary track. 2013 will be the 50 Anniversary of Streisand's first record with Columbia now Sony Records . There will be a 12 DVD box set released in 2013. 2013 is also the 45th Anniversary of Funny Girl. Since Columbia Pictures is also part of Sony hopefully there will be more to come.

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   David Gerbrands

David Gerbrands

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 01:14 PM

There was no lypsynching. The end of the movie was done live on multiple cameras

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,456 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 01:28 PM

Speaking of the finale being filmed live, I love when Barbra messes up the lyrics.  The look in her eyes is classic.  Then she turns around for a second and then goes on.  If you didn't know the song, you'd probably never even notice.  But if you do, it makes for a very real moment.  I don't think much of the movie in general, but I think she fares well in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users