-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Little Shop of Horrors Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 of 26 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,041 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 27 2012 - 07:04 AM

I finally had time to watch it. Firstwatched theatrical and felt about the same as I always have and that wasn't much. Then watched the ending of the intended cut and fell in love with it. That ending is brilliant and the reprise as Oz called it of the song Audrey sings as she is dying is beautiful and heart breaking. It's been so long since I watched the theatrical that I forgot how it ended and I was thinking It was very much like the love conquers all version of Brazil. Then during the Dir cut commentary Oz said the Person who did the special effects work here also did the effects work Brazil. I really would have liked a more extensive feature on the plant because it was, to me Some of the best puppetry work I have ever see in a movie. The movements of Audrey 2 synced with Levi was perfect. The only way I figured they could get the mouth and head to move the way it did was to record In regular speed then speed up the film to make it move at normal speed. It was clearly not stop motion or animated so there didn't seem to be anyother way to do it. So they would have to record Levi talking or singing slowly too. Finally listening to the commentary Oz did this to some extent but he also recorded at a slower frame rate then sped it up to look normal. Anyway loved it.
facebook.com/whotony

#22 of 26 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted January 07 2013 - 02:05 AM

Please nominate Little Shop of Horrors as 1 of 3 choices for catalog BLU ray of the year!

http://www.hometheat...se#post_4021622

It deserves to be nominated since WB's went above and beyond with the BLU release. We were even given the infamous Original ending in Color restored!

Awesome release it deserves to be recognized. Posted Image

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#23 of 26 Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 833 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 04:39 AM

Awesome release it deserves to be recognized. :)

I agree with this opinion and sentiment, but 2012 has featured fantastic releases (with spectacular transfers) of more than three of my all-time top 20 films, so I simply don't have nomination room to spare for what, for me, is a great, but not top 20, movie. This is the home theater version of "first-world problems". :D

#24 of 26 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted January 07 2013 - 05:00 AM

Understandable it was a good year. Just don't want Little Shops BLU release forgotten esp since time and I would assume a lot of money went into the release. Lawrence of Arabia is the release of the year IMO but for a catalog title Little Shop should get a mention. Posted Image

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#25 of 26 Derek Miner

Derek Miner

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 05:12 PM

It deserves to be nominated since WB's went above and beyond with the BLU release. We were even given the infamous Original ending in Color restored! Awesome release it deserves to be recognized. :)

I am really appreciative that Warner went through the effort to reconstruct the original ending of the film, but when we're talking about a studio that put out the "Blade Runner" set, "above and beyond" is set at a high bar. I was seriously disappointed that nobody considered searching for more deleted footage from the film (including a shortened musical number), but found it perfectly acceptable to misleadingly tease a compilation of bloopers/outtakes as "deleted scenes" in marketing materials. It stings even more now that a tape copy of a workprint has turned up with about eight to ten minutes of alternate or deleted footage in addition to that original ending. As Warner put all their budget and promotional push into this release, the chances of ever pulling additional raw takes out of the vault to reconstruct deleted scenes is pretty much nil.
= Derek Miner =
Co-founder, Sunscreen Film Festival

#26 of 26 Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm

Second Unit

• 451 posts
  • LocationStockholm, SWEDEN

Posted October 18 2013 - 01:49 PM

Ha! Ha! Very true. And I do like the part where [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]the plant comes thru the screen at the very end. When I saw the live show at The Westwood Playhouse, they dropped vines from the ceiling onto the audience during the cutain call for a similar effect.[/SPOILER]

Extremely late to the party here, I know, but having just watched the director's cut tonight, that final shot was probably the only thing I really liked about it, they should have kept that. The rest was interesting, but the shift from musical to full-on b-movie with Godzilla-like plants moving through NY, and through brick walls, time and time again, came with a grinding of gears that was almost painful; I like the idea, but the execution didn't work for me at all.

But I'm glad to have seen it, finally, and that it is available on blu.

Edited by Mikael Soderholm, October 18 2013 - 01:50 PM.

/Mikael

- "Do you indulge in any form of worship?"
-"Life. I love life, very much indeed."
David Bowie interviewed by Russell Harty, 1973

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users