Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
3D Blu-ray Reviews

Dial M for Murder 3D Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#41 of 166 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,267 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 11 2012 - 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by JamesNelson 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

I look forward to doing some House of Wax pre-ordering sometime in the near future.

As do I, along with anything Mr.Furmanek and his team produce.

Absolutely.  And anything else the studios will please be so good as to announce.  I'll support every damn one of  'em.

#42 of 166 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 11 2012 - 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jesse Skeen 

Anybody find the somewhat hidden Japanese audio track and subtitles on this?

It's a very common thing in disc authoring for all the major studios. Japan hates having anything but English and Japanese on their menus, so when you load a disc with JP assets with JP player settings you get the Japanese-only menus,

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#43 of 166 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,046 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 06:36 AM

I play with the 'disc menu language' setting on the player all the time, but this is the first time it's affected the actual movie. On this disc, if you have your player set to display disc menus in Japanese (where available of course, those that don't have a Japanese menu will default to English) the movie will give you the choice of English or Japanese audio and subtitles (and no others). If the menu is set to any other language, you don't get Japanese on the movie but you get a whole bunch of other languages- the Japanese track isn't there. Since I'm obsessive, I'll end up watching this in every available language. :)
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#44 of 166 OFFLINE   JamesNelson

JamesNelson

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 06:47 AM

Cool. Whenever I'm feeling nostalgic for the old field-sequential VHD version, I can just enable the Japanese subtitles on the BD. :D

#45 of 166 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,046 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 09:36 AM

I actually have a VHD player but no 3D discs. Field sequential doesn't work on my LCD TV anyways :(
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#46 of 166 OFFLINE   JamesNelson

JamesNelson

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 12:24 PM

1.85:1 was Hitchcock's intended composition and should be respected. It was his first widescreen movie.

I'm not sure if it's been pointed out yet, but the Blu-ray appears to be 1.75:1, not 1.85:1.

#47 of 166 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted October 11 2012 - 12:35 PM

+1000 Do any Insiders know how this and Creature from the Black Lagoon have been selling? Are the studios happy with the pre-order numbers, or is it still too early to tell?

It's going to be hard to gauge Creature in the U.S. since it was only one of several discs in a box set. Maybe they can look at the numbers from the U.K. individual disc sales.

#48 of 166 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 11 2012 - 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by JamesNelson 

I'm not sure if it's been pointed out yet, but the Blu-ray appears to be 1.75:1, not 1.85:1.

It's 1.78:1, just like every other Warner release with an OAR of 1.85:1.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#49 of 166 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,372 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 11 2012 - 08:48 PM

Yes, the difference is miniscule and they do it because of overscan - with overscan the image is almost always right at 1.85

#50 of 166 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 836 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 03:38 AM

they do it because of overscan - with overscan the image is almost always right at 1.85

A curious choice in an era in which overscan is becoming less and less common. :confused:

#51 of 166 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,079 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 12 2012 - 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Doctorossi 

A curious choice in an era in which overscan is becoming less and less common. Posted Image

Similar to why they're still window-boxing the title sequences on some Academy Ratio films coming out on BD.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#52 of 166 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,372 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 12 2012 - 07:31 AM

A curious choice in an era in which overscan is becoming less and less common. :confused:

The majority of people in this country at least do not have projection set-ups, they have TVs with overscan.

#53 of 166 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 836 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 07:40 AM

The majority of people in this country at least do not have projection set-ups, they have TVs with overscan.

I may be wrong, but I think most of the installed-base of Blu-ray-viewing TVs today is one-to-one mapped digital panel sets with at least the option to defeat overscan, if not no option to turn it on.

#54 of 166 OFFLINE   JamesNelson

JamesNelson

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 09:12 AM

Yes, the difference is miniscule and they do it because of overscan - with overscan the image is almost always right at 1.85

I'm thinking they do it to fill 16:9 displays completely, and to keep from having to field questions and complaints about tiny black bars at the top and bottom of 1.85:1 titles. And overscan doesn't really turn a 1.78:1 transfer into a 1.85:1 image. It turns a 1.78:1 transfer into an overscanned 1.78:1 image. ;)

#55 of 166 OFFLINE   FilmBuff

FilmBuff

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 02:12 PM

One more observation: the "music" that plays behind the main menu is probably the oddest, most anachronistic choice imaginable for this film.

Agreed. It gave me a headache.

#56 of 166 OFFLINE   Cineman

Cineman

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 06:11 PM

1.85:1 was Hitchcock's intended composition and should be respected. It was his first widescreen movie.

I was relieved to see that with the proper 1.85:1 framing (or 1.78:1 for the Blu-ray?) we no longer get an unintentional peek of the scissors effect device pre-set on actor Anthony Dawson's back when he is hunched over Grace Kelly at the desk right before she finds a new home for the blade. That was always a problem, among others, with the open matte version. You couldn't help notice a shiny object of some kind poking up from his back at the top of the frame before she can get the scissors there. Obviously a device of some kind is spring loaded and ready to create the stabbing effect. Unless there was some digital masking involved in the production of the Blu-ray or I'm mistaken about one or two theatrical presentations of it in the distant past, that tell-tale giveaway was something I've seen in every theatrical, television and home video version of DMFM I've ever seen. And I've seen theatrical presentations of it in 3-D at the Tiffany Theater in Los Angeles decades ago and a few years ago at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood, Ca. at one of their 3-D festivals. I'm not as certain about those theatrical presentations, but I know it can be seen on the earlier open matte standard DVD. No sign of it on this Blu-ray though, thank goodness.

#57 of 166 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,667 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 07:48 PM

An excellent observation. Thank you, David!

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#58 of 166 OFFLINE   Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted October 13 2012 - 03:30 AM

A bit of a let down after North by Northwest and To Catch a Thief, but it's HD Hitchcock, and most of it looks very good indeed. Yes, the menu music is horrid.

Where you expecting this to look like those two films?

#59 of 166 OFFLINE   Jon Lidolt

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted October 13 2012 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for the information. The one thing that I have noted is that Warner Color prints seemed to be a bit less likely to fade. Deluxe prints, which could look great to begin with, were faded by the time the print made it to a drive-in, whereas some Warner Color prints persist in their original ugliness. Can you explain this?

I read about this years ago, not quite sure where: maybe it was the American Cinematographer... I don't remember. Apparently DeLuxe labs didn't change the chemicals as often as they should have, nor washed the chemicals off properly after processing. I remember as a kid that by the time the DeLuxe color movies arrived at our small town theatre, the pictures always had a brownish tint. Even the other kids at the matinees would comment on this, especially if the main feature or the trailers were in blazingly bright Technicolor.

#60 of 166 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,667 posts

Posted October 13 2012 - 09:46 AM

The 35mm WarnerColor prints that I've encountered over the past 30 years have been horribly faded.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3D Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow