Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
3D Blu-ray Reviews

Prometheus 3D Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#21 of 162 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,790 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 05:56 AM

The characters in ALIENS were realistic? Really? I thought they were pretty much comic book/action movie characters

When evaluating the realism of characters in Aliens vs Prometheus I believe that certain allowances for the tone of the film have to be taken into consideration. Aliens does play out like an action film to a large degree so yes the characters are oriented in that direction. For what its worth, Hudson and Hicks are much more realistic in their milieu when compared to a biologist whose first instinct when confronting a serpentine alien life form is to go all "Hey buddy" and treat it like a pet. IMHO, of course. - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#22 of 162 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific Railroad.

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted October 09 2012 - 05:59 AM

I'm listening to Damon Lindelof's commentary now, and he actually addresses that very thing. The short of it: it's not smart, but a deleted scene explains that he's literally just like that, evidently. Sometimes he just goes all "Science!" and can't help himself. Is it a good explanation? Not really. But it's better than the no explanation the movie gives us.

#23 of 162 OFFLINE   CRSearle

CRSearle

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 06:00 AM

I can imagine this would have been impressive in IMAX. It didn't make much of an mpression on me at home. Just a lot of dirt flying across the screen and none of it outward.

I saw the movie theatrically in both IMAX 3D and Real 3D, and, for my tastes, the IMAX 3D trounced the Real 3D in terms of what 3D can do for visual depth and immersion. Assuming the BD's 3D presentation is somewhat mimicking the Real 3D experience, I could see it being underwhelming. Nice Review!

#24 of 162 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,644 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 09 2012 - 06:00 AM

Otherwise known as playing idiot ball. Posted Image

For what its worth, Hudson and Hicks are much more realistic in their milieu when compared to a biologist whose first instinct when confronting a serpentine alien life form is to go all "Hey buddy" and treat it like a pet. IMHO, of course.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#25 of 162 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted October 09 2012 - 06:06 AM

The point is, in 25 years, people will still get off on "game over man!" "game over!" or "get away from her you bitch!"

I doubt anyone can remember any line from Prometheus characters, right here, right now. Let alone in 25 years.

#26 of 162 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,644 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 09 2012 - 06:09 AM

I agree, but part of me would like to see "Hey buddy!" rise to the level of a "I'll be right back!" or a "Is anyone there?" trope.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#27 of 162 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 09 2012 - 06:11 AM

The point is, in 25 years, people will still get off on "game over man!" "game over!" or "get away from her you bitch!" I doubt anyone can remember any line from Prometheus characters, right here, right now. Let alone in 25 years.

true but I don't think it's that Jane of movie.
facebook.com/whotony

#28 of 162 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,240 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 06:12 AM

The point is, in 25 years, people will still get off on "game over man!" "game over!" or "get away from her you bitch!" I doubt anyone can remember any line from Prometheus characters, right here, right now. Let alone in 25 years.

true but I don't think it's that kind of movie.
facebook.com/whotony

#29 of 162 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,790 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 06:14 AM

The point is, in 25 years, people will still get off on "game over man!" "game over!" or "get away from her you bitch!"

No doubt. One of the more quotable films around. A good work friend and I use to continually quote Aliens when the dialog correlated to certain events at work. When the direction was unclear - "Well why don't you put her in charge?" When complaining about bureaucratic paper work - "All this, this bullshit you think is so important; you can kiss all that goodbye!" When silly proclamations were made - "I feel safer already." And so on with hilarity always ensuing. :) - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#30 of 162 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,392 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 09 2012 - 06:18 AM

I'm listening to Damon Lindelof's commentary now, and he actually addresses that very thing. The short of it: it's not smart, but a deleted scene explains that he's literally just like that, evidently. Sometimes he just goes all "Science!" and can't help himself. Is it a good explanation? Not really. But it's better than the no explanation the movie gives us.

Like you say, it's not a satisfactory explanation and the character's actions must stand up to scrutiny without a commentary. His actions need to make sense based on how the audience understands the character. His actions don't meet that test, IMHO.

I agree. Even though I've bought the 3D set and look forward to watching it, I doubt this movie has the staying power of Alien or Aliens.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#31 of 162 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 06:21 AM

I agree, but part of me would like to see "Hey buddy!" rise to the level of a "I'll be right back!" or a "Is anyone there?" trope.

Well, that scene would've worked better had they left a prior scene in when the biologist finds an earlier form of those creatures (it's in deleted scenes).

#32 of 162 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 06:26 AM

I think there is a difference between characters seeming like "real people", and every line of dialog being "realistic". Watching Prometheus, it seemed to me as if the actors didn't have as clear a picture of who their characters are, and why they do what they do, as the actors in Alien and Aliens did. Maybe that is by design, to open up more story later on, but it was not as satisfying to me as in the earlier films.

#33 of 162 OFFLINE   mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Second Unit

• 480 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted October 09 2012 - 07:40 AM

Despite the huge separate display rack of Prometheus at my local Best Buy, and dominant placement on the front of the racks...myself and 3 other dudes waited for the doors to open all ended up buying...E.T. :D OK, one guy had both.

#34 of 162 OFFLINE   Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Supporting Actor

• 635 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 08:20 AM

I got my copy from Best Buy today, unfortunately the digital copy code isn't working.

#35 of 162 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,535 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted October 09 2012 - 08:22 AM

The digital copy code for iTunes is a code that you enter into the Digital Copy app that is on the DVD/Digital copy disc. This app then displays a new code that you can enter into iTunes. The original digital copy code works for UltraViolet unmodified.

#36 of 162 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

• 561 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 08:25 AM

The documentary and the commentary by Ridley Scott don't address some significant questions, and the lack of that discussion speaks volumes.

It's ALL in the writer's commentary. Having just finished it, they explain just about everything in great detail. It's kind of surprising given how closed off they were around the time of release.

#37 of 162 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,240 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 08:27 AM

Was there ever a novelization of this?
facebook.com/whotony

#38 of 162 OFFLINE   Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 09:38 AM

John Kenneth Muir would like to disagree with all of you about this movie: Cult Movie Review: Prometheus (2012) Death by a Thousand Nitpicks? Prometheus (2012) and the critical reception

#39 of 162 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,748 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 12:03 PM

To all the folks quoting lines from ALIENS as proof that PROMETHEUS isn't good or something, I ask- how many lines are frequently quoted from the original ALIEN ? Vincent

#40 of 162 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

• 561 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 01:01 PM

I use "This is Ripley, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off" for the occasional voicemail or e-mail closer. I bounce back and forth between that and "Your friend in time," in e-mails.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3D Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users