Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Who owns the licence to ONE MILLION B.C. (1940)....

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,968 posts

Posted October 08 2012 - 04:35 AM

...and why hasn't this been released on DVD? The VHS from Nostalgia Merchant pretty much sucked. I know this was a Hal Roach production, and perhaps his estate owns this film, but there are many out here who would love to have a decent copy!

#2 of 10 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,732 posts

Posted October 08 2012 - 05:13 AM

...and why hasn't this been released on DVD? The VHS from Nostalgia Merchant pretty much sucked. I know this was a Hal Roach production, and perhaps his estate owns this film, but there are many out here who would love to have a decent copy!

Is it public domain? TCM shows it every now and then. I don't know what it's like in terms of print quality.

#3 of 10 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,449 posts

Posted October 08 2012 - 06:26 AM

Hal Roach Studios released it, so it is easy to deduce that it is an RHI property. Since RHI has only released Laurel and Hardy and Our Gang DVDs and hasn't bothered with many of the other features it owns, the chances of any sort of release are slim unless RHI decides to license them to a 3rd party. It seems TCM is the only place to see a majority of these RHI Hal Roach properties for the time being.

#4 of 10 Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Supporting Actor

• 570 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 01:31 AM

Alpha released BROADWAY LIMITED recently, and has other Hal Roach movies, mostly other Zasu Pitts titles and a couple of the Joe Sawyer/ William Tracy comedies. The color print used for HERE COMES TROUBLE was pretty bad. Alpha's oldies.com site, along with their own release of ROAD SHOW, also shows an authorized release of ROAD SHOW, from Image in 2004, that was done with HalRoachStudios.com. Were there more Hal Roach titles from Image or was that the only one?

#5 of 10 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,449 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 05:01 AM

"The Hal Roach Studios" Image releases were primarily public domain titles with the exception of the silent "Lost Films of Laurel & Hardy" DVDs, which were licensed by the private license holder that appears to be retained (Michael Agee).

#6 of 10 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 11:48 PM

I still have my Laserdisc of this film. Can't believe that it is still missing on DVD after all these years.

#7 of 10 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,968 posts

Posted April 15 2014 - 12:43 PM

I still have my Laserdisc of this film. Can't believe that it is still missing on DVD after all these years.

Been a while, but I am occasionally seeing laser copies of this (on the 3M label) turning up on eBay, and want to know if you can tell me what sort of PQ this has...as in, would it look better than the Nostalgia Merchant VHS tape? Thanks.

#8 of 10 Hasslein

Hasslein

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted April 15 2014 - 04:09 PM

delete

#9 of 10 Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,590 posts

Posted April 15 2014 - 07:19 PM

It was released on standard DVD in Japan a few years ago, 'Fantastic Films Collection #6: Hal Roach Presents ONE MILLION BC'. Hard for me to say whether it's a bootleg or not; it has a small copyright listing on the back of the case crediting 'T.C. Media Home Entertainment'.

It's a pressed Region 2 disc, but my Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player, which isn't region-hacked, is running it just fine as I'm writing this. The print looks decent... comparable to the one TCM has been airing the last few years. There's a small 'FCC' watermark in the upper right hand corner of the screen during the opening credits. The print is English language, with optional Japanese subtitles (the default setting). The only extras are some cast & production notes, all in Japanese.

Here in the USA, CD Japan carries it (or special orders it), for about $14.00. Perhaps some other specialty multi-region vendors also carry it, but I haven't checked. Anyway, at this point, it beats waiting around for a U.S. company to deign to release it domestically, which I tend to doubt will happen, given the state and focus of the business these days.

• Dick likes this

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#10 of 10 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,968 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 05:58 PM

It was released on standard DVD in Japan a few years ago, 'Fantastic Films Collection #6: Hal Roach Presents ONE MILLION BC'. Hard for me to say whether it's a bootleg or not; it has a small copyright listing on the back of the case crediting 'T.C. Media Home Entertainment'.

It's a pressed Region 2 disc, but my Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player, which isn't region-hacked, is running it just fine as I'm writing this. The print looks decent... comparable to the one TCM has been airing the last few years. There's a small 'FCC' watermark in the upper right hand corner of the screen during the opening credits. The print is English language, with optional Japanese subtitles (the default setting). The only extras are some cast & production notes, all in Japanese.

Here in the USA, CD Japan carries it (or special orders it), for about $14.00. Perhaps some other specialty multi-region vendors also carry it, but I haven't checked. Anyway, at this point, it beats waiting around for a U.S. company to deign to release it domestically, which I tend to doubt will happen, given the state and focus of the business these days.

Thanks for this, Peter. I just order the DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users