Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection Blu-ray Review - Recommended

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#81 of 108 OFFLINE   Ken Volok

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted October 15 2012 - 08:17 AM

Noticed that all the films (inc. Spanish "Dracula) but except CfBL are now being rleased solo on Oct. 23 by a company called Ais.. they look to have all features ect.. I am not familiar with that company (Ais).. is it a Euro wing of Universal?

#82 of 108 OFFLINE   gomezfan69

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted October 15 2012 - 09:18 AM

I no longer have the original Dracula DVD, so I don't remember if she did an introduction. I also don't have the US version of this set. I do know Carla Laemmle (now aged 102) is a major part of the Road To Dracula extra that was included on prior releases, and is on the UK set. She does do an 'introduction' to the film at the start of that extra. David

There is no introduction by Carla Laemmle on either the Legacy Collection or the 75th Anniversary Edition. Looking at reviews of the original DVD there was not one there either.

#83 of 108 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,050 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 15 2012 - 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by gomezfan69 

There is no introduction by Carla Laemmle on either the Legacy Collection or the 75th Anniversary Edition. Looking at reviews of the original DVD there was not one there either.

This matches my admittedly terrible memory.

#84 of 108 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,822 posts

Posted October 15 2012 - 10:28 AM

The introduction by Carla Laemmle is only on The Road to Dracula. She begins the piece, and she ends it with the words from the lost Edward Van Sloan epilogue that "there really are such things!"

#85 of 108 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 906 posts

Posted October 15 2012 - 12:42 PM

Does anyone else here have a Panasonic DMP-BD30 blu-ray player? The Mummy disc first said "copyright violation" when I was at firmware 2.9. When I've seen that message before, I just updated my firmware to clear the problem. Now, I updated to the latest firmware 3.1 and it just won't play that disc at all. Maybe it's just a bad disc?

#86 of 108 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 861 posts
  • LocationI.E.,So Cal

Posted October 15 2012 - 01:41 PM

Does anyone else here have a Panasonic DMP-BD30 blu-ray player? The Mummy disc first said "copyright violation" when I was at firmware 2.9. When I've seen that message before, I just updated my firmware to clear the problem. Now, I updated to the latest firmware 3.1 and it just won't play that disc at all. Maybe it's just a bad disc?

Yes, I have a BD30 with the latest 3.1 FW and it played fine.
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#87 of 108 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 906 posts

Posted October 15 2012 - 02:55 PM

Yes, I have a BD30 with the latest 3.1 FW and it played fine.

Thanks. I just saw elsewhere that some copies of the UK pressing of The Mummy disc are defective. The damage is visible by looking at the bottom of the disc--there's a visible spot. I happened to receive a defective one.

#88 of 108 OFFLINE   tele1962

tele1962

Second Unit

• 389 posts

Posted October 16 2012 - 10:01 AM

So far i have watched Dracula and Frankenstein and i am astounded by the shear quality of these discs. :)

#89 of 108 OFFLINE   Steven Good

Steven Good

Stunt Coordinator

• 233 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:33 AM

Made some custom covers for these discs. Are these great? No. But they serve my needs, combining the available blu discs from the Universal Monster set just released, with the DVD legacy releases of the sequels... Creature from the Black Lagoon set Posted Image The Mummy set Posted Image The Invisible Man set Posted Image Frankenstein + Bride of Frankenstein set Posted Image The Wolf Man set Posted Image Dracula set Posted ImagePosted Image
Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."

#90 of 108 ONLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,409 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:49 AM

Those custom covers seem more appropriate for the legacy sets than for the blu-ray set.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#91 of 108 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,050 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:19 AM

Nice job on the covers. As some one conscious of shelf space I get where you're coming from! Better than my plan on sticking the Legacy set discs into static disc sleeves and sliding them into the coffin packaging I got for the UK set. I think they'll all fit in there until they get a bluray version with nicer packaging.

#92 of 108 ONLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,409 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:36 AM

Guess I didn't look close enough. A combo package, a good idea.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#93 of 108 OFFLINE   Steven Good

Steven Good

Stunt Coordinator

• 233 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 02:16 PM

Guess I didn't look close enough. A combo package, a good idea.

Thanks. Anyone who wants them, PM me.
Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."

#94 of 108 OFFLINE   Spottedfeather

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 09:12 AM

Kevin, I just asked Universal and they said that the 4:3 movies will show black bars on the sides but not the top or bottom. The movies aren't letterboxed.

#95 of 108 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 29 2012 - 04:51 PM

"Bride of Frankenstein" has been altered. There were two shots of the monster approaching the hermit's hut. The shots were similar, but the first showed the entire monster walking, then the shot cut to a more zoomed in shot. The blu-ray is different...the first shot has been zoomed in, cropping about 30% of the picture (left, right, and bottom) to better match the second shot.

#96 of 108 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,822 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 02:02 AM

I'll take your word for it regarding the zooming.  I didn't notice the difference when checking that sequence.  But I'm not an expert on this film, and it's something I wouldn't have been looking for.  Thanks for pointing it out.

#97 of 108 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 02:25 AM

Thats an interesting find, I'll check to see if the earlier DVD version is zoomed or not.

#98 of 108 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,077 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 30 2012 - 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin EK 

I'll take your word for it regarding the zooming.  I didn't notice the difference when checking that sequence.  But I'm not an expert on this film, and it's something I wouldn't have been looking for.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Nobody else did either and it doesn't take away my enjoyment of this release.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#99 of 108 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:06 AM

It doesn't take away from my enjoyment either. I was just letting you guys know.

Source:http://monsterkidcla...on-Blu-Ray-1935

#100 of 108 ONLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,409 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 01:41 PM

It does beg the question: why would they decide to briefly re-direct the movie? The original framing looks fine to me. This isn't something that happened due to carelessness, someone had to decide to crop the movie.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users