Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection Blu-ray Review - Recommended

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#41 of 108 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,262 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 12 2012 - 01:59 AM

Mine plays fine in both 2D and 3D, starting at 57:00 and continuing for five minutes.  Oppo 93.

Could it have been something wonky happening only when played straight through from the beginning?

#42 of 108 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,384 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 12 2012 - 02:26 AM

I do have a bone to pick with Universal on the way they've authored these discs. I've only watched the Creature so far, so perhaps I should not assume all are this way. I have the UK set. I put in the disc into my Oppo 93 and you get the Universal logo and then have to select a language. Than it goes into this 100 years of Universal thing and top menu and pop-up menu are disabled. I have to chapter ski through it. Then you get a menu with symbols and no text. There's a play symbol, a little book, an asterisk, and I forget what else. I figured out what the play did. The book could mean bookmarks, but i's really the chapter list. The asterisk is special features. Ok, I figure they did that to avoid having multiple menus for each language. While I'd prefer they spell out the menu features that's not my big complaint. I'm in the middle of the movie, I hit stop on my remote, and then hit play. On other blu-rays the oppo can go right to where it left off, but Universal has disabled that. The disc behaves as if I've just inserted it and I've got to go through the whole magilla again. That sucks.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#43 of 108 ONLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,670 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 02:57 AM

Ok so am I the only person who's Creature from the Black Lagoon disc (2D version) plays in slow motion with sound drops beginning approx. 58:00 to the end of the film? VERY unhappy. Plan on contacting Universal tomorrow. And yes of course I checked for dust and fingerprints; and tested it on a second machine as well.

I also had a problem with my Creature disc. When I examined the disc, there appeared to be a 'bubble' in the plastic - it looked like what you see with one of those cellphone screen protectors. My other seven discs seem to be OK. I am getting a replacement set from Amazon UK.

I do have a bone to pick with Universal on the way they've authored these discs. I've only watched the Creature so far, so perhaps I should not assume all are this way. I have the UK set. I put in the disc into my Oppo 93 and you get the Universal logo and then have to select a language. Than it goes into this 100 years of Universal thing and top menu and pop-up menu are disabled. I have to chapter ski through it. Then you get a menu with symbols and no text. There's a play symbol, a little book, an asterisk, and I forget what else. I figured out what the play did. The book could mean bookmarks, but i's really the chapter list. The asterisk is special features. Ok, I figure they did that to avoid having multiple menus for each language. While I'd prefer they spell out the menu features that's not my big complaint. I'm in the middle of the movie, I hit stop on my remote, and then hit play. On other blu-rays the oppo can go right to where it left off, but Universal has disabled that. The disc behaves as if I've just inserted it and I've got to go through the whole magilla again. That sucks.

I have found this annoying as well. Especially since I had the problem with the Creature disc, I kept trying different things and was getting sick of that opening. David

#44 of 108 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,542 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 04:01 AM

Hi, it's a Sony S-380

Thanks Ken, my player is the S550. I'll try to find time to try my disc and see if I have any issues. This player has had firmware updates, the last was probably 2 years ago. But I haven't had any issues with any discs recently.

#45 of 108 OFFLINE   Randy_M

Randy_M

Supporting Actor

• 677 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted October 12 2012 - 04:09 AM

I'm still trying to figure out how to get to my bookmark that is successfully created (according to my Sony player). I expect to find them on the chapter list, but nothing doing. The yellow button on the remote doesn't seem to bring them up either, as it does on other discs.
My DVDs

#46 of 108 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,542 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 09:24 AM

Ken, I just had a free minute to play The Creature disc. I started from the beginning. I played it for about 35 minutes, then skipped ahead to 50 minutes and played it from there to about the point they discuss trying to tranquilize the creature, about 1 hour and 10 minutes and it played okay on my Sony S-550. I'll sit and watch the rest later uninterrupted. It looks pretty good, I realize some parts are soft, and others are sharp, but it wasn't too distracting. So I didn't experience the slow motion problem. I'm really looking forward to a proper sit down to watch Frankenstein.

#47 of 108 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 09:47 AM

My copy of CREATURE pooped out on me today. 2D version, US set, after the first 45 minutes. I've sent an email to Universal, posted an inquiry on FB too (but that appears to have disappeared). Tried calling the only customer service number I could find, only to be told to send an email. Crossing my fingers I get help with this.

#48 of 108 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 10:20 AM

Exact same annoyances. I may also add that once the screensaver is activated, I was unable to restart the movie pressing "play" (or pause, ff, etc). So I'm forced to press "stop" expecting to continue once I press "play" again like countless other blu-rays, but I have to go through all of that bloated nonsense just to get to that menu again. And those icons are really bogus, though I suppose I can condition myself to know what some of the more arbitrary icons stand for in Universal-land. Would it have killed them to have translated simple text below each icon into the different languages, given how everything else is translated?

#49 of 108 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,595 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 11:22 AM

Exact same annoyances. I may also add that once the screensaver is activated, I was unable to restart the movie pressing "play" (or pause, ff, etc). So I'm forced to press "stop" expecting to continue once I press "play" again like countless other blu-rays, but I have to go through all of that bloated nonsense just to get to that menu again. And those icons are really bogus, though I suppose I can condition myself to know what some of the more arbitrary icons stand for in Universal-land. Would it have killed them to have translated simple text below each icon into the different languages, given how everything else is translated?

For me, when it goes in screensaver mode, all I have to do is press the enter button and it goes back to the movie

all-banner.jpg

#50 of 108 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 11:46 AM

Hmm, I'll keep that in mind next time I run into a Universal screensaver Thanks for the tip.

#51 of 108 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,697 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 12:31 PM

They play fine on US players.

Cool! At the $100+ for the US version, it was going on the Christmas list. For the price Amazon UK is offering, might just have to order that now..

#52 of 108 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,313 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 12 2012 - 12:42 PM

Hmm, I'll keep that in mind next time I run into a Universal screensaver Thanks for the tip.

If that doesn't work, the Pop-Up Menu button would get rid of the screensaver on a Samsung player that I used to have.

#53 of 108 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 04:30 PM

Then you get a menu with symbols and no text. There's a play symbol, a little book, an asterisk, and I forget what else. I figured out what the play did. The book could mean bookmarks, but i's really the chapter list. The asterisk is special features. Ok, I figure they did that to avoid having multiple menus for each language.

Yup, that's how all non-US Universal discs appear to be mastered these days. Doesn't make much sense to me as they still have to master different language menus because of the special features section. Reminds me of the days of DVD when European chapter menus only had chapter numbers under the image whereas the US versions had full descriptive text (this seems to be a worldwide phenomenon on many Blu-rays though).

#54 of 108 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,550 posts

Posted October 13 2012 - 09:53 AM

I, too was annoyed by the setup time one has to go through on the menus of the UK discs. The little menu icons are annoying as well-sort of like the icons one sees for computer monitors (though less annoying than the crap one has to skip through). I played the Creature disc in 3D from about 53:00 to way past 60:00 and had no problems with a Sony S480. It does sound like there are some defective copies out there, though.

#55 of 108 OFFLINE   John Stockton

John Stockton

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted October 13 2012 - 05:54 PM

Someone told me that the Dracula on the UK version is missing one of the commentaries which is included in the US one. Can anyone please confirm this??

#56 of 108 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 13 2012 - 11:55 PM

I have the US set, but I know several people who have the UK set and they say it is missing one of the commentaries on Dracula.

#57 of 108 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,396 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted October 14 2012 - 02:39 AM

I have the US set, but I know several people who have the UK set and they say it is missing one of the commentaries on Dracula.

Yes, it only has the commentary by David J. Skal.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#58 of 108 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,027 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 14 2012 - 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by RolandL 

Yes, it only has the commentary by David J. Skal.

Which is the one I would've chosen to keep if I had too.  I'll keep the DVD with the other commentary anyway.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#59 of 108 OFFLINE   warnerbro

warnerbro

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts
  • LocationBurbank, California

Posted October 14 2012 - 05:50 AM

Here's my wish list for Volume 2: THE OLD DARK HOUSE THE RAVEN THE BLACK CAT THE WEREWOLF OF LONDON SON OF FRANKENSTEIN FRAKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLFMAN HOUSE OF HORRORS THE BRUTE MAN

#60 of 108 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,542 posts

Posted October 14 2012 - 06:04 AM

Because of the issue people are reporting of The Creature From The Black Lagoon not playing at full speed past the 58 minute mark, I finally finished watching my copy on my Sony S-550 player. While I didn't watch it all the way through in one sitting, my copy played fine past the 58 minute mark.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users