-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection Blu-ray Review - Recommended

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 of 107 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,327 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 09 2012 - 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by JohnS 

I hope mine is coming in the mail today. It was suppose to be here on Monday.
I hate I can't track my UK package.

John,

I got mine here in Michigan today so you should get yours today or tomorrow at the latest.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#22 of 107 Ken Volok

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 11:59 AM

I got my replacement set in the mail today, immediately tested Creature and again, slow motion with sound drops beginning approx. 58:00 to the end of the film. In my orig order I've played Dracula, Phantom , and Invisible Man all no problem so it couldn't possibly be firmware and on other contemporary issues no problem. Anybody else yet? Why me??!!!!!!!!!!!!

#23 of 107 JamesNelson

JamesNelson

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 12:11 PM

I got my replacement set in the mail today, immediately tested Creature and again, slow motion with sound drops beginning approx. 58:00 to the end of the film. In my orig order I've played Dracula, Phantom , and Invisible Man all no problem so it couldn't possibly be firmware and on other contemporary issues no problem. Anybody else yet? Why me??!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, one obvious difference is that CFTBL is a 3-D disc. You may only be watching the 2-D version, but I'm sure the disc is mastered differently. It couldn't hurt to get the latest firmware.

#24 of 107 Ken Volok

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 12:57 PM

Well, one obvious difference is that CFTBL is a 3-D disc. You may only be watching the 2-D version, but I'm sure the disc is mastered differently. It couldn't hurt to get the latest firmware.

I'd say that makes sense but then why does the first 50+ minutes play with no problem?

#25 of 107 JamesNelson

JamesNelson

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 01:04 PM

I'd say that makes sense but then why does the first 50+ minutes play with no problem?

I've no idea. But the chances of you getting two different defective discs when no one else is reporting this issue are minimal. Equally odd, however, is the fact that you report the issue on two different makes of player. :confused:

#26 of 107 Ken Volok

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 02:36 PM

I've no idea. But the chances of you getting two different defective discs when no one else is reporting this issue are minimal. Equally odd, however, is the fact that you report the issue on two different makes of player. :confused:

I wish it were a faulty player, that'd be easier to replace. I traded in all my Legacies towards getting this set.

#27 of 107 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,122 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 06:39 PM

I have not had time to try any of the discs in this set. Ken, which Sony Blu ray player do you have? I have a Sony blu-ray player too. But it will soon be replaced with a 3D capable player.

#28 of 107 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,070 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 10 2012 - 01:07 AM

John, I got mine here in Michigan today so you should get yours today or tomorrow at the latest.

It's the 10th and I'm still waiting. Tracking says it shipped on the first and arrived in Secaucus (NY I presume) on the 8th. I presume my shipment crossed by boat. I wonder how they choose the shipper? I know I always get the slowest one. It took so long to get Ben Hur, that they sent a replacement.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#29 of 107 Hal F

Hal F

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 02:39 AM

I hope mine is coming in the mail today. It was suppose to be here on Monday. I hate I can't track my UK package.

Mine was estimated to arrive one Monday also. Still not here. Mail delivery in my neighborhood is generally after 4pm. So won't know for awhile whether or not it comes in today. First time I've had an amazon.uk package arrive after the projected delivery date. They are usually a couple of days early.

#30 of 107 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,441 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 02:44 AM

Mine was estimated to arrive one Monday also. Still not here. Mail delivery in my neighborhood is generally after 4pm. So won't know for awhile whether or not it comes in today. First time I've had an amazon.uk package arrive after the projected delivery date. They are usually a couple of days early.

Mine (non-coffin version) arrived yesterday. I can't say that my Amazon.UK deliveries have ever arrived in the same time frame. Some come quickly; some come later. So far, I've only watched Dracula in its entirety (looked and sounded great), and took some sneak peaks at a few others. Looks to be a great set.

#31 of 107 Ken Volok

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 04:01 AM

I have not had time to try any of the discs in this set. Ken, which Sony Blu ray player do you have? I have a Sony blu-ray player too. But it will soon be replaced with a 3D capable player.

Hi, it's a Sony S-380

#32 of 107 JamesNelson

JamesNelson

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 04:05 AM

Hi, it's a Sony S-380

Someone on another forum is reporting that their copy of Dial M for Murder starts skipping after the 40 minute mark when played in 2-D on a Sony standalone player. They didn't mention the model number.

#33 of 107 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,070 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 03:00 AM

It's the 10th and I'm still waiting. Tracking says it shipped on the first and arrived in Secaucus (NY I presume) on the 8th. I presume my shipment crossed by boat. I wonder how they choose the shipper? I know I always get the slowest one. It took so long to get Ben Hur, that they sent a replacement.

It's the 11th and according to tracking, my order is still sitting in Secaucus. It shows no departure scan.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#34 of 107 warnerbro

warnerbro

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts
  • LocationBurbank, California

Posted October 11 2012 - 05:00 AM

I just received my UK copy. I watched DRACULA and FRANKENSTEIN and they are both jaw-dropping beautiful: beautiful fine grain, rich velvety blacks, clean whites and strong grays. They both look like they were shot yesterday. I can't believe it. I don't know how they got these to look so good. The new detail you can see feels like seeing these films for the first time. in Dracula, you can actually see the grains of dirt in some of the shots in the mausoleum in the beginning. Universal has finally learned how not to go overboard on smearing the grain off. The UK set is beautiful with 8 post-card-sized full color poster reproductions and the blu-rays themselves repeat the full color poster reproductions on their backs. We also get a very long full-color book. The sound and picture on the DRACULA and FRANKENSTEIN are pitch-perfect! And this set was very cheap at Amazon UK -- 35 bucks! This is the buy of the year! Well done, Universal!

#35 of 107 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,441 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 05:40 AM

I just received my UK copy. I watched DRACULA and FRANKENSTEIN and they are both jaw-dropping beautiful: beautiful fine grain, rich velvety blacks, clean whites and strong grays. They both look like they were shot yesterday. I can't believe it. I don't know how they got these to look so good. Universal has finally learned how not to smear the grain off. T Well done, Universal!

Yes, for once the images of the films themselves look as good as the production stills.

#36 of 107 Ken Volok

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 07:51 PM

The problem I reported earlier with CfBL is now being reported from others according to Amazon reviews.

#37 of 107 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,362 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 08:13 PM

Silly question, perhaps: does the UK version play on US players without anything extra or special needed on this end?

#38 of 107 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,327 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 11 2012 - 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Steinberg 

Silly question, perhaps: does the UK version play on US players without anything extra or special needed on this end?

They play fine on US players.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#39 of 107 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,070 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 01:37 AM

Ok so am I the only person who's Creature from the Black Lagoon disc (2D version) plays in slow motion with sound drops beginning approx. 58:00 to the end of the film? VERY unhappy. Plan on contacting Universal tomorrow. And yes of course I checked for dust and fingerprints; and tested it on a second machine as well.

I am watching the UK 2D version and skipped to about 59 minutes and I'm having no problems. Perhaps there was a bad batch of discs.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#40 of 107 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,880 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted October 12 2012 - 01:48 AM

Or his player needs an update / cleaning...

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users