What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ A View to Kill -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A View to Kill was number 14 in the Bond series, and the final project for Roger Moore, who had played Bond more times than any other actor - a period of thirteen years.

Also a fine looking Blu-ray.

A single caveat when it comes to stalking the wild Bonds at Target.

They seem not to be available on line, only in stores, which means that a trek is in order. I ended up calling three stores, waiting on hold while staff searched for up to 20 minutes, and finally found the three. I've a feeling that Fox is purposefully making things difficult for those who purchased the original sets, but opted out of the magnificent 50th Anniversary celebration.

I'm presuming that tracking down the final three at Best Buy will be equally as time wasting.

Image - 4

Audio - 5

Recommended.

RAH

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
Image rating of 4, even though there is a lot of image cropped on this new blu-ray compared to previous DVD versions? The blu-ray's framing is quite different and more than a little cramped...

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
Steven Good said:
Image rating of 4, even though there is a lot of image cropped on this new blu-ray compared to previous DVD versions? The blu-ray's framing is quite different and more than a little cramped...
what cropping?
a comparison between the german ultimate dvd and uk blu-ray doesn't show any cropping :confused:

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
EnricoE said:
what cropping?
a comparison between the german ultimate dvd and uk blu-ray doesn't show any cropping :confused:
The Ultimate Edition was cropped compared to the old Special Edition DVD, heavily in the pre-title sequence and slightly so for the rest of the movie. Also, about 85 minutes into the movie, a camera shake (meant to suggest an earthquake) was incorrectly stabilized (still like that on the Blu-ray).

brioni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Steven Good said:
It certainly doesn’t feel cramped- and nowhere near as bad as what GoldenEye was.
Here’s a comparison I done years back – R1 SE DVD (top) vs R1 UE DVD (bottom)
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/content/type/61/id/168280
There is minimal cropping on the left of the picture, but a slight gain on the right. The Pre title sequence is bizarrely a different kettle of fish though, which had cropping at the bottom as well as the left.
The left hand side cropping was also evident in Licence To Kill’s UE – except in the title sequence!

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
ahh... compared to the first bond dvd releases... i still have them :D
i never got the ue versions.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Robert Harris said:
A View to Kill was number 14 in the Bond series, and the final project for Roger Moore, who had played Bond more times than any other actor - a period of thirteen years. Also a fine looking Blu-ray. A single caveat when it comes to stalking the wild Bonds at Target. They seem not to be available on line, only in stores, which means that a trek is in order. I ended up calling three stores, waiting on hold while staff searched for up to 20 minutes, and finally found the three. I've a feeling that Fox is purposefully making things difficult for those who purchased the original sets, but opted out of the magnificent 50th Anniversary celebration. I'm presuming that tracking down the final three at Best Buy will be equally as time wasting. Image - 4 Audio - 5 Recommended. RAH
Robert I was comparing this one and octopussy and found that the picture on view seems to be a bit less sharper in terms of detail. It is curious to me why they did not master all of the films at 4k rather than some at 2k and some at 4k.Thanks!!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
John Stockton said:
I attended the World Premiere in SF. I got to meet a lot of the cast and had a nice conversation with director John Glen who was super nice and friendly.
Very cool. I missed the film when it was in theaters. Octopussy was my first bond in the theater. I was really exited to see daylights when it came out. A view to a kill was the first bond film on VHS that I bought.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
This was my first Bond in theaters. I get the criticism, but I still like the story and it had potential. It would have been better as the first post Moore Bond film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks