Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Weekly RoundUp 10-9-2012

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#101 of 108 Ashly Yeo

Ashly Yeo

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted October 13 2012 - 01:18 PM

The reorganization threw me off guard big time. I had thought they had dropped Blu-rays from their stores until I realized they did. Like many here, my infrequent visits to Best Buy stores just got down to almost never. Whatever happened to usability feedback studies from real world customers?

#102 of 108 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,758 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 13 2012 - 02:57 PM

I was all set to buy up to five Blu-rays when I went in yesterday...but after searching the entire department, all I could find worth buying was Prometheus (which I specifically went for) and Fargo (which fell into the category of an inexpensive upgrade--$4.99!).

There were some Criterions there I might have been interested in...but not at those prices.  Everything else I either had already or I wasn't interested in.

Slim pickins'.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#103 of 108 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted October 13 2012 - 05:09 PM

My local BB hasn't reorg-ed their BD section (yet?), but they did merge the counters for Geek Squad w/ their regular Customer Service area, so it took a good deal longer to do my U&S today than usual -- I almost gave up waiting on line thinking I could probably do almost as well later w/out this deal for what I was buying, if I just wait some more. Think I'm gonna have to pick a much less busy time to do these U&S deals going forward -- of course, the recent opening of the Barclay Center right across the street doesn't help either. FWIW, I also recently started shopping GoHastings.com for used titles of interest that I've been holding out for bargain bin prices, but haven't found them for <=$10 new anywhere. If you don't mind buying used/previously viewed titles at bargain prices, they periodically run some excellent sales -- though you usually need to shop fast for the good ones or things go out-of-stock on you. They're currently running a Facebook coupon sale (code 250k) that's 25%-off used/PVed titles w/ free shipping, and I ordered a ton of titles that way (mostly for $2-5 each shipped, except a couple more recent titles like Tower Heist and Hunger Games that were $8-10 each). The main drawback w/ the PVed stuff, which is most of the lower priced items, is the label they put around the inner ring of the disc that can be a bit of a pain to remove plus their use of DVD case (instead of BD case) on rare occasion (though they do include the original cover art). _Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#104 of 108 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted October 13 2012 - 05:44 PM

Actually, come to think of it, my local BB already did the reorg some months ago that Mike's now seeing at his BB -- well, they did also do some bit more a month or two ago. And yeah, it's been a pain locating all the release week items w/ the way they have it now. I always end up missing checking one of the extra freestanding displays for something I want on my shortlist and waste an extra 15-30min looking all over for stuff -- and still often have to ask someone for something that may or may not actually be missing for the various displays. Their general customer service seems improved in recent months, except for their new merging of the Geek Squad area w/ regular CS, but yeah, not too crazy about their BD organization although it does (in theory) help them keep the new release and weekly advertised items more visible (for both the customers and their stocking staff). There are pros and cons to this me thinks... _Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#105 of 108 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,134 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted October 13 2012 - 08:20 PM

But honestly, I don't know which is better -- a lot of categories, or one simple A-to-Z sort for the whole shebang. I just know Best Buy's current shenanigans in this respect are pretty bad.  Talk about fixing something that isn't broken.  How about fixing the stuff that is?

I hate categories more than mixing DVD and BD, but I hate that too. Is As Good As It Gets a comedy or a drama? Categories are dumb for stores.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#106 of 108 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,071 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 14 2012 - 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon 

I was all set to buy up to five Blu-rays when I went in yesterday...but after searching the entire department, all I could find worth buying was Prometheus (which I specifically went for) and Fargo (which fell into the category of an inexpensive upgrade--$4.99!).

There were some Criterions there I might have been interested in...but not at those prices.  Everything else I either had already or I wasn't interested in.

Slim pickins'.

My usual situation exactly!  Which is why I browse first, to make sure I don't give them more DVDs than there are Blu-rays on the rack that I will take on that same visit.

#107 of 108 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,503 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted October 14 2012 - 01:54 PM

I hate categories more than mixing DVD and BD, but I hate that too. Is As Good As It Gets a comedy or a drama? Categories are dumb for stores.

I like having the mixed DVD and Blu-ray, so I can see what formats are available without needing to go to a different aisle to check. But I agree that the genres are kind of ridiculous. Who gets to decide what film is in what genre? The last BB I was at had reorganized and I saw a number of what I would consider "horror" titles mixed in with the "drama" section. And Sci-Fi and Horror seem like naturals for the same section. I don't know why Sci-Fi is now considered part of Action. That basically means if you're looking for a horror title, and it's not found in the horror section, you also need to check drama and action/sci-fi to see if they've decided it belongs elsewhere.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#108 of 108 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,134 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted October 14 2012 - 02:12 PM

If I'm shopping at BB it's not for DVDs. The only things I get that aren't BD are Criterions that aren't upgraded yet.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users