Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Weekly RoundUp 10-9-2012

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#41 of 108 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,133 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted October 09 2012 - 08:54 AM

And Costco is our winner! 25.99 for Dial M - no Strangers, so it must be a 3D thing. When I factor in Tax and waiting 2 days, I'd rather pay the dollar or so more at Costco.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#42 of 108 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,041 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 09:08 AM

Cool, thanks for the info about Costco. Did they have Prometheus or ET? Too bad about Strangers. I wanted to see Grace Kelly more then Farley Granger or Robert Walker. I'm sure Fry's might have Strangers.

#43 of 108 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,133 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 09:34 AM

I'm sure Frys would have Strangers. Prometheus 3D was $25, same as Best Buy. Didn't spot ET, but I wasn't looking for it either.

#44 of 108 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,041 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for confirming Prometheus. I'll bet ET is there too. I'll let you know.

#45 of 108 daddymention

daddymention

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 12:14 PM

Best Buy had Jeff Lynne's Long Wave....for $9.99. They only had 2 copies at the location I went to and it was just filed under "L", not on their new release endcap. ...and Fry's had Strangers on a Train and Dead Ringer for $14.99 each. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and Little Shop of Horrors was $28.99 each.

#46 of 108 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,629 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 09 2012 - 03:13 PM

The review for The Raven went up earlier today and can be found here.

#47 of 108 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,041 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 03:34 PM

Good hunting tonight. The Costco near my work had all three, Prometheus for $24.99, Dial M for Murder for $25.99 and ET for $18.99. Well worth it to avoid shipping fees and waiting. Now I'll have try Fry's for Strangers.

#48 of 108 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,756 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 10 2012 - 02:08 AM

I didn't get to a Target until almost 6pm last night.

They only had two of the steelbook versions left (and only a couple non-steelbook copies).  After I checked to be sure it had the title of the film printed on the spine, I strode to the cash register and purchased it for $17.09 (Target Red Card discount).  Not bad.

It doesn't sound like people are having any problems picking up the steelbook or the Best Buy digibook.  Good to hear (or not hear).  Posted Image

Oh.  And Target had ET on its "New for Kids" endcap.  Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#49 of 108 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,071 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 10 2012 - 02:12 AM

I'm wondering what the consensus is on the Best Buy digibook vs. the Target steelbook.  Not that there's any way to know till it's too late to get one or the other.  I should decide today.

#50 of 108 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,429 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 10 2012 - 03:56 AM

I'm wondering what the consensus is on the Best Buy digibook vs. the Target steelbook.  Not that there's any way to know till it's too late to get one or the other.  I should decide today.

I saw the Best Buy digibook but got the regular one instead. The regular one was $17.99 and since I don't really care about the digibook, I figured it was better to let someone who might really want it have a chance to get it.

#51 of 108 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,271 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 10 2012 - 03:59 AM

My reasoning was much more cost-conscious. With upgrade and save, I could get the title for $13 instead of $20. The book was not worth seven dollars to me.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#52 of 108 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,071 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 10 2012 - 05:50 AM

Mike, interesting you should mention the title on the spine.  I always thought Universal blew two beautiful opportunities in the laserdisc era, on the spines for their otherwise wonderful Signature Collection box sets of both JAWS and E.T.  Those boxes were something like an inch and a half deep, but what did we see on our shelves?  The title of the former, in a microscopic ordinary font, which might as well not have been there at all.  And on the latter?  Nothing.  A double chance for decent "spine art" tossed right out the window.

#53 of 108 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,756 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 10 2012 - 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

Mike, interesting you should mention the title on the spine.  I always thought Universal blew two beautiful opportunities in the laserdisc era, on the spines for their otherwise wonderful Signature Collection box sets of both JAWS and E.T.  Those boxes were something like an inch and a half deep, but what did we see on our shelves?  The title of the former, in a microscopic ordinary font, which might as well not have been there at all.  And on the latter?  Nothing.  A double chance for decent "spine art" tossed right out the window.

Earlier in the thread I noted that I am all too glad to replace my DVD of ET because of the lack of the title on the spine of that DVD packaging.  I'm not really anal about packaging (hell, I downsized most of my standard DVD cases to thin-paks.  But that lack of "ET" on the spine of the special DVD release always bugged me for some reason.

I never knew that the laserdisc of ET also had a blank spine.  Coincidence?  It would seem an odd one, if so.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#54 of 108 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,756 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 10 2012 - 06:23 AM

All righty.

I had a LOT of catching up to do (to our esteemed review staff).  Posted Image

There are now links in the OP to:

--Matt's review of Eclipse Series 36

--Matt's review of the 3-D Blu release of Prometheus.

--Neil's review of Dial M for Murder

--Cameron's review of Little Shop of Horrors

--and, Matt's review of The Raven.

Thanks, fellas!  You've been busy this week!

#55 of 108 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,133 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 07:08 AM

I actually liked the "brushed metal" look of those Uni LD boxes, made them feel more special and you could spot them in your collection.

#56 of 108 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,375 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 10 2012 - 07:20 AM

Why no review of Rock of Ages? Did the studio not send a screener?
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#57 of 108 David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,968 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 10 2012 - 07:44 AM

I actually liked the "brushed metal" look of those Uni LD boxes, made them feel more special and you could spot them in your collection.

Real easy to spot when they're all on the same shelf together -- I think there were 35 of them total counting the double releases. The ET box does stick out just a little since it's black. I actually still have a sealed copy of the ET boxset sitting in the middle of the collection. I think I bought a spare somewhere on closeout for about what the new Digibook cost.

#58 of 108 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,429 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 10 2012 - 08:05 AM

Does anyone know when the Best Buy trade-in lasts until?

#59 of 108 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,071 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 10 2012 - 08:06 AM

I used a $5 Reward Zone coupon and got the E.T. digibook for $20.  Happy to report it bears a nice logo-type title on the spine.   Posted Image

#60 of 108 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,071 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 10 2012 - 08:07 AM

I can't recall whether I've done this, and if someone has already mentioned it please forgive:

Does BB allow you to "stack" coupons -- i.e., a Reward Zone coupon and a DVD trade-up -- on one Blu-ray purchase?

Or maybe it's one of those things that depends on who's ringing up the sale?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users