Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Universal Monsters -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 of 83 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,843 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted October 12 2012 - 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by eric scott richard 

Well, tonight is the big night! I'm showing "Frankenstein," "Bride of Frankenstein," and "The Wolf Man" at SkyDome Cinema. It warms my heart that so many people are excited about coming over..this will be my biggest audience yet! And for 70-80+ year-old films!

Man, if I could, I'd be right there.  That sounds like an awesome night!

#42 of 83 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,409 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 12 2012 - 02:31 AM

Well, tonight is the big night! I'm showing "Frankenstein," "Bride of Frankenstein," and "The Wolf Man" at SkyDome Cinema. It warms my heart that so many people are excited about coming over..this will be my biggest audience yet! And for 70-80+ year-old films!

There's a Fathom double feature across the nation of Frankenstein and Bride, but i'll bet you care more about the quality of your presentation than our local Fathom theater does. How many do you expect to show up? I hope they know how lucky they are.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#43 of 83 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,267 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 12 2012 - 02:36 AM

BTW, when is that Fathom showing of Frankenstein and Dracula?

After The Birds, I need to give my local theater, at least - if not Fathom themselves - another chance at this.

#44 of 83 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,067 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 12 2012 - 03:01 AM

Mr. Harris, Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this release. The one question I'm having a hard time finding an answer to is whether the SD extras on the UK release are in 480p or 576p. I have ordered the UK release as well and am looking forward to it arriving in the next day or two. Thank you in advance for any light you might be able to shed on this. Regards, David

Everything on the set is compatible with US equipment. No SD PAL or HD 50Hz issues on these discs.

#45 of 83 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,075 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 12 2012 - 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

BTW, when is that Fathom showing of Frankenstein and Dracula?

After The Birds, I need to give my local theater, at least - if not Fathom themselves - another chance at this.

Dracula is not showing.  Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein are showing on October 24th.  HTF is having their Meet in LA during that week so I'm going to Universal City to watch this double feature on the big screen that night.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#46 of 83 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,409 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 03:16 AM

BTW, when is that Fathom showing of Frankenstein and Dracula? After The Birds, I need to give my local theater, at least - if not Fathom themselves - another chance at this.

October 24th, I think. Just google fathom events and you'll find it.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#47 of 83 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 12 2012 - 03:19 AM

I'm expecting around 30 or more. The pre-show tonight consists of creepy black and white Disney shorts, starting with "The Skeleton Dance,"

#48 of 83 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,267 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 12 2012 - 03:19 AM

Thanks.  (Right, Frankenstein and Bride.)

#49 of 83 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 12 2012 - 03:29 AM

I'm going to open invitations to HTF members next summer. I think it would be fun to meet those members from the Indy area.

#50 of 83 OFFLINE   Gary16

Gary16

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 03:51 AM

. My coffin is being sent DHL Global Mail. Any one know how quick they are?

FWIW, my shipments from Amazon.uk lately have been arriving in a week or less, including my coffin box which came within the week.

#51 of 83 OFFLINE   Gary16

Gary16

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 04:03 AM

Not in shooting, but in processing and printing, they absolutely did. Uneven shrinkage (due to the drying of the negs in separate stages), misaligned splices, and good old fashioned pin mis-registration caused quite a bit of registration issues in the early films, which is why you'll see fringing in certain shots of IB prints of titles like WIZARD OF OZ and ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD that were never fixed until they were brought into the digital realm. The new composite print of PHANTOM, which was overseen by Scott MacQueen, did not have any issues of registration. I don't know where this came up on the Blu-Ray.

I have had access to a 16mm IB Tech print of "The Wizard of Oz" that definitely shows registration problems at certain points, but briefly.

#52 of 83 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,409 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 04:06 AM

I'm expecting around 30 or more. The pre-show tonight consists of creepy black and white Disney shorts, starting with "The Skeleton Dance,"

That's a theater full. You're going to have fun. Will there be little kids? If so report on how well the movies work on them.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#53 of 83 OFFLINE   Ken Volok

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 04:24 AM

I'm one of those people who got a defective Creature from the Black Lagoon disc, TWICE! I am so jealous of you all!

#54 of 83 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 12 2012 - 05:05 AM

There will be little kids. My 7 year old nephew loves the Universal monsters! My dad introduced me to these when I was a toddler and the local Shock Theater host presented them on Friday nights. The atmosphere took my breath away. They are so unique in that way. Nothing can replace them. I'll let you know how the kids like them. The backyard is full of trees, and the trees make for a nice atmosphere as they tower behind the house and screen. There is plenty of open sky too, for the moon and stars to shine down upon us.

#55 of 83 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 690 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 12 2012 - 08:49 AM

I believe Scott MacQueen only did commentary for the 1943 PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, but he did supervise some restoration work on the 1929 version for Milestone, released in 2003, and also did a commentary track for it. I don't remember the details, but Scott was unhappy with the strobing effect on this version. As best as I can remember, it was due to the PAL-NTSC transfer and would require a new transfer from film elements to rectify the problem.

#56 of 83 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 14 2012 - 01:19 AM

Well, the movies were a HUGE success Friday night!!!! They looked like sterling silver. When the closups of Karloff's face popped up on the screen, there were gasps. It was very effective. The most amazing scene was during the creation when the monster was lifted through the ceiling. It looked like he was going up through the screen and into the sky! Very cool. The Baron drew laughs from the audience. It was much scarier outside on the big screen. Bride, similarly, was a great success. The audience laughed, cheered, and screamed. They loved Minnie. Wolf Man was good too, but it was very cold and I think people were getting tired. The kids LOVED every minute of it...the first movie scared them a bit but when the movies were over, they said "They weren't really scary." The atmosphere was beyond beautiful, creepy, haunting out there. It was a night that felt special, rare and a one-time event.

#57 of 83 OFFLINE   scottc1992

scottc1992

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted October 14 2012 - 01:51 AM

Hey Eric, did you watch them on Sammy Terry? I'm from Indy also and I love the older horror films!

#58 of 83 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 14 2012 - 02:00 AM

ABSOLUTELY! On Channel 4 on Friday Nights! Sammy Terry was the perfect host! His show always scared the crap out of me! I encourage those who don't know who we are talking about to visit youtube and watch some clips. This is where I began loving these films!

#59 of 83 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,409 posts

Posted October 14 2012 - 03:28 AM

Well, Eric, you had the perfect theater experience at home. Congrats. Are your neighbors ok with it?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#60 of 83 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 14 2012 - 03:31 AM

They are, and since the sound is moving towards the back, you can barely hear it around front. My backyard has a creek and trees that separate us from the next house, but it is empty, as is the house next door.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users