What's new

Generic voting question (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I know we're not supposed to discuss politics here, but this is just a simple question about voting, not debating or arguing for or against candidates.
I live in Washington state (on the east side) and probably 99% of whatever comes out of this state is decided upon by the Seattle area. More and more I feel like my vote doesn't even matter. Other than a few local races, everything else is already decided by the west coast people.
We're not a swing state and have already been written off by the national media, they're just assuming we'll go a certain direction. It just seems like it's not even worth the trouble to vote any longer, my little opinion just doesn't matter.
If this thread is closed I understand, but it's not really about politics, it's more about "does the little guy count any more". When everything is controlled by one heavily populated section of the state, why should I even bother, it won't make a difference.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Except for the Presidential race, which involves the electoral college, your vote counts as much as anyone else's in the state--especially in local races for city council, county supervisor, state legislators, etc.
Please don't give up your voice.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I will be voting, always have and always will, just so my opinion counts, no matter how small it may be.
Still plenty of local races and even statewide races where my input may make a difference.
Thanks for the little boost I needed to stay involved.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Agreed with all. In the presidential contest, my vote does not count. California last went for a Republican with Reagan, and there's no way Obama loses here. Not a political statement, just what is. But every congresscritter has an opponent that you may or may not like better, one of our senators is standing for reelection, there are local races (town councils, school boards), plus California has the direct propositions for things like taxes, food labeling, union politicking, among others. Frequently, our part of the state, while powerless in the presidential contest, decides the senator and ballot measures. Vote your conscience, even if you know that the guy (or gal) that you support is a shoe-in or doesn't stand a chance.
Of course, if you support the guy (or gal) I don't like, I'm ok with you staying home :D

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
This is true across the world, I think. Here in the UK I have lived successively in electoral boroughs that have been overwhelmingly for one party or another. The great thing is that come election time you don't get bothered by people calling at your door trying to persuade you to vote for a particular party (I don't know if they do that in the USA, but it can be a pain in the proverbial here). Basically, in these so-called 'safe seats' there is little point in investing energy into the campaign, and the poor devil who is representing the party bound to lose is typically being given practice at campaigning before being allowed to try for a more competitive seat in a future election.
However, there is always a point in voting, even in supposedly safe seats. Back in the 1990s, when the Labour party swept to power, the voters at the last minute unexpectedly swung towards Labour, and Labour candidates who thought that they were just in effect on a practice run found themselves elected MPs.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I also strongly believe that it's important to get out and vote regardless of whether or not you think your vote will count or not (I've lived in states that are both solidly red and solidly blue, but I've ALWAYS voted). In fact, since my boys' daycare is closed on election day, I'm planning on taking the day off from work (it was either me or my wife) and will take my 4 year olds with me when I vote. They won't understand the politics part of it, but I think it's important that they understand not only that we get to help "pick" who the leaders in our country are, but also that it's an important and special privilege to do so.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Stan-
As someone who also lives in Washington state (which leans pretty far left) I understand where you are coming from. With the electoral collage your presidential vote really won't matter unless its for Obama. To avoid politics I don't want to get into who you plan on voting for, but you could always vote 3rd party if you wanted to make a statement. Ignoring the presidential race for a moment there are a lot of state initiatives and races on the ballot that will be very close. Despite the fact that the state leans left there were three recounts on the last governors race, so I think that will be close and every vote will count. There are a lot of interesting initiatives this year: gay marriage, charter schools, marijuana, etc that may be close. So while you may have a point on the presidential election, I think its very important that you vote to be heard on the other issues. Just my $.02

Jason-
Great idea. Our county is now completely mail in (no polling places anymore) so I can't take the kids with me, but I do talk to them about it while I have my ballot out and am voting.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the replies. Kind of restores my belief that I can make a difference.
Adam, thanks for the state info. Will definitely be voting on governor and the gay marriage issue, should be interesting to see which way things go. Never knew the last governor's race was so close, but looks a lot like this one will also come right down to the final votes counted.
Sometimes it just feels like it's such a waste of time because of the population and power of the west side of the state, but I will also put in my $.02 worth.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
I think it is super important to always vote. There is a local elected Judge whose policies I disagree with vehemently. In the last election, he won - but only by a few votes, in fact, there was a recount because it was so close. Even though he won, I believe the message was sent loud and clear that a large percentage of those in his district do not support his policies. That election sparked a great deal of discussion on the matter. That message would not have been so clear had even a small number of those who voted stayed home on voting day.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I agree with the general statement here that you should make your voice heard, regardless of whether you think the person or issue you are voting on will be a landslide winner or loser. The county I live in leans heavily in the opposite direction of my views, so my preferred candidates for county positions rarely win. However, that doesn't stop me from voting. There are usually several proposals on the ballot that deserve consideration, too. If you do not exercise your right to vote, you have no right to complain about political issues, IMO.
For this November's election, I will be doing something for the first time -- submitting an absentee ballot. My wife will be out of town the previous weekend, and I have to pick her up at the airport after work on election day, which may prevent us from making it to the polls before they close.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield /t/324255/generic-voting-question#post_3985788
There are usually several proposals on the ballot that deserve consideration, too.

So true. Here in Maryland, there are several VERY highly charged and contentious referendums on the ballot as well.

Even if you feel your vote for president won't make a difference, the significance of your single vote on a state and local level is substantially magnified.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Stan /t/324255/generic-voting-question#post_3985780
Thanks for the replies. Kind of restores my belief that I can make a difference.
Adam, thanks for the state info. Will definitely be voting on governor and the gay marriage issue, should be interesting to see which way things go. Never knew the last governor's race was so close, but looks a lot like this one will also come right down to the final votes counted.
Sometimes it just feels like it's such a waste of time because of the population and power of the west side of the state, but I will also put in my $.02 worth.
We feel it on this side of the state too .

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by bryan4999 /t/324255/generic-voting-question#post_3985782
I think it is super important to always vote. There is a local elected Judge whose policies I disagree with vehemently. In the last election, he won - but only by a few votes, in fact, there was a recount because it was so close. Even though he won, I believe the message was sent loud and clear that a large percentage of those in his district do not support his policies. That election sparked a great deal of discussion on the matter. That message would not have been so clear had even a small number of those who voted stayed home on voting day.
This is saying a lot as most people don't usually pay any attention to the judicial races. For an election to be that close even though you won, the electorate is saying you are NOT popular.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Adam Gregorich said:
This is saying a lot as most people don't usually pay any attention to the judicial races.  For an election to be that close even though you won, the electorate is saying you are NOT popular.
Yes, you're correct, and in this case the Judge in question made some rulings in a touchy local case that had people riled up, so it was probably an exception to the rule. However, it does illustrate the value and power of voting.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Stan said:
But there is a more important point: the closer an election is, the more likely that its outcome will be taken out of the voters' hands - most vividly exemplified, of course, by the 2000 presidential race. It is true that the outcome of that election came down to a handful of voters; but their names were Kennedy, O'Connor, Rehnquist, Scalia and Thomas. And it was only the votes they cast while wearing their robes that mattered, not the ones they may have cast in their home precincts.
:)

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Well, sorry, I am not going to take the cynical route based on one smug op-ed piece. Some valid points, perhaps, but the more people show apathy toward voting, the more apathy toward government in general. But as I do not want to start a political discussion I will stop here and say no more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks