Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Night of the Living Dead (1990) -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 of 39 OFFLINE   EnricoE

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

• 518 posts

Posted October 14 2012 - 10:14 AM

i just skimmed through the beginning of the movie and i have to say the following.... i'm okay with the revisiting of the director and dp to give the movie a proper look. however it feels very clumsy. the movie goes dark within a few minutes. giving that the opening scenes is sort of real time, the whole change feels forced way to much. i never had a problem with the old transfer (laserdisc/dvd). it always felt correct and not out of place. since my first viewing of the movie in the nineties, i thought the scene on the sematary plays on the late afternoon. overall i do prefer the old look.

#22 of 39 OFFLINE   Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted October 15 2012 - 12:08 PM

What is odd about it? He clearly felt that the DVD looked fine with no errors.
If this new blu-ray release is how he always wanted it then logically the look on the DVD was never his intention soooooooooooo a natural progression of thought would be he would've been chirping about the inferior DVD from it's release date years ago.

#23 of 39 OFFLINE   iDarren

iDarren

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 06:49 AM

If this new blu-ray release is how he always wanted it then logically the look on the DVD was never his intention soooooooooooo a natural progression of thought would be he would've been chirping about the inferior DVD from it's release date years ago.
Yeah but nobody with any credibility has said the BD is how Savini originally wanted it.

#24 of 39 OFFLINE   Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted October 17 2012 - 12:52 PM

Yeah but nobody with any credibility has said the BD is how Savini originally wanted it.
Didn't Savini himself praise the BD?

#25 of 39 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,862 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 01:40 PM

Didn't Savini himself praise the BD?
He hasn't (to my knowledge) gone on record as to which is closest to the 'original' version (although from when I saw it theatrically, I think the DVD was closer). And frankly, if the prior home video versions were done with such little effort (as has been intimated here), the idea that someone would have gone through the effort to make changes to the print they were using is a stretch. Mr. Savini likes the new version. Yes. But he may also like the DVD version. And the VHS version. I'm able to like multiple things - even different versions of the same thing. There are two versions of The Gold Rush. Both are good, but they are radically different. The Director and the DP may love this 'new' version. But people do have a valid complaint that they didn't get the original version that they thought they were purchasing. David

#26 of 39 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,291 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted November 01 2012 - 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Weicker /t/324230/a-few-words-about-night-of-the-living-dead-1990-in-blu-ray#post_3990079 The Director and the DP may love this 'new' version. But people do have a valid complaint that they didn't get the original version that they thought they were purchasing.  
  This came up during our discussion with Twilight Time at the Hollywood meet last week.   They were not told in advance by Sony that the transfer had been modified. They subsequently were told by Sony that the new transfer was made in accordance with Savini's wishes. If this ever happens again on another title, they will note it in the press release. They have offered to make refunds, but as of last Friday they had received fewer than five returns.   If anyone is dissatisfied with their purchase, they might do better by selling it on eBay. Several have been sold for more than $40.
Rich Gallagher

#27 of 39 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,621 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 02:22 PM

This came up during our discussion with Twilight Time at the Hollywood meet last week. They were not told in advance by Sony that the transfer had been modified. They subsequently were told by Sony that the new transfer was made in accordance with Savini's wishes. If this ever happens again on another title, they will note it in the press release. They have offered to make refunds, but as of last Friday they had received fewer than five returns. If anyone is dissatisfied with their purchase, they might do better by selling it on eBay. Several have been sold for more than $40.
I was the one that asked that question. It was a great answer and I love my copy. I was glad I could get that answered in person. Julie Kirgo of Twilight Time also did say that the VHS versions were made with high brightness.

all-banner.jpg

#28 of 39 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,461 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 01 2012 - 02:56 PM

I'm very curious to know how many were returnd or cancelled before shipping. I received my copy somepne else cancelled today
facebook.com/whotony

#29 of 39 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,621 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 03:13 PM

I'm very curious to know how many were returnd or cancelled before shipping. I received my copy somepne else cancelled today
At the time of our meeting, they quoted nine by the same person. He ordered ten and kept one.

all-banner.jpg

#30 of 39 OFFLINE   Oblivion138

Oblivion138

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted November 02 2012 - 03:42 AM

At the time of our meeting, they quoted nine by the same person. He ordered ten and kept one.
Glad to see that some scalpers got the shaft. The "Buy Out & Resell" practice with these limited editions is intolerable. If only 3000 copies are to be made available, and they're selling for $30 each, then they should go to real fans at that price...not to opportunists (who may not even LIKE the film in question) who buy in bulk so that they can resell them on Ebay at $100+.

#31 of 39 OFFLINE   rayman1701

rayman1701

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts
  • LocationOutside Chicago

Posted November 02 2012 - 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 /t/324230/a-few-words-about-night-of-the-living-dead-1990-in-blu-ray#post_3996647 Glad to see that some scalpers got the shaft. The "Buy Out & Resell" practice with these limited editions is intolerable. If only 3000 copies are to be made available, and they're selling for $30 each, then they should go to real fans at that price...not to opportunists (who may not even LIKE the film in question) who buy in bulk so that they can resell them on Ebay at $100+.
  I agree!  Might even be nice if they put a cap on the total amount of copies that someone can order until the title has been out for a certain amount of time.  I understand that if a title isn't selling well, having someone come in and buy a few might be good for their business, however allowing someone to buy 10 copies during pre-sale or right after street if it's a hot title, just doesn't sit well with me.  Just a thought.....   I am grateful that I had a second chance and mine arrived yesterday and am looking forward watching it soon.  But I would not support the "scalpers" no matter how much I might have wanted one.

\m/︶︿︶)\m/

#32 of 39 OFFLINE   JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted November 02 2012 - 10:04 AM

I agree!  Might even be nice if they put a cap on the total amount of copies that someone can order until the title has been out for a certain amount of time.  I understand that if a title isn't selling well, having someone come in and buy a few might be good for their business, however allowing someone to buy 10 copies during pre-sale or right after street if it's a hot title, just doesn't sit well with me.  Just a thought....
Considering that, to date, only 2 or 3 Twilight Time Blu-rays have actually sold out their 3,000 copy runs, I doubt the company is likely to impose a purchasing cap on anyone who wants to pay them for multiple copies of a title.

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#33 of 39 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,207 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 02 2012 - 01:09 PM

Glad to see that some scalpers got the shaft. The "Buy Out & Resell" practice with these limited editions is intolerable. If only 3000 copies are to be made available, and they're selling for $30 each, then they should go to real fans at that price...not to opportunists (who may not even LIKE the film in question) who buy in bulk so that they can resell them on Ebay at $100+.
4 to be exact with a couple others getting somewhat close. I think they probably should put some sort of limit on them earlier in the run particularly in the preorder phase though I think TT said there really weren't that many people who bought more than few at a time. I think it might be hard to stop someone who wanted to open 3-4 accounts though. Mysterious Island Journey to the Center of the Earth Fright Night Night of the Living Dead (1990)

#34 of 39 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,291 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted November 02 2012 - 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 /t/324230/a-few-words-about-night-of-the-living-dead-1990-in-blu-ray#post_3996647 Glad to see that some scalpers got the shaft. The "Buy Out & Resell" practice with these limited editions is intolerable. If only 3000 copies are to be made available, and they're selling for $30 each, then they should go to real fans at that price...not to opportunists (who may not even LIKE the film in question) who buy in bulk so that they can resell them on Ebay at $100+.
  I don't know if Screen Archives Entertainment places a quantity limit on orders, but if not they should. Of course it could be difficult to enforce, because people can use alternate e-mail addresses, multiple credit cards, etc.   On the other hand, only a few Twilight Time Blu-rays have sold out so far. I believe that they have a three-year license for each of their films.
Rich Gallagher

#35 of 39 OFFLINE   rayman1701

rayman1701

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts
  • LocationOutside Chicago

Posted November 02 2012 - 01:34 PM

They asked that for the 10/26 second chance of Night of the Living Dead 1990, for it to be only for people who did not buy one the first time, so limiting pre-orders and maybe 1st months sales somewhat so that the scalpers can't clear them out could be doable.  I know it won't happen often, and hey I'm all for them getting a sell-out, since that helps Twilight do more movies, but the scalpers just cause frustration for movie fans that might have heard about it a few days after release and all they can find is it is sold out and going for $100 on eBay.  Just a small window to not allow hoarders, then after the window, knock yourselves out.

\m/︶︿︶)\m/

#36 of 39 OFFLINE   Greg_D_R

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 08:54 AM

Here's the DP's reaction to the controversy over this blu-ray. It's worth noting for all future discussions of 'Approved' or 'Consulted' transfers:

FRANK PRINZI: I have to let you know that I haven't seen the transfer on Blu-ray, on a good screen, yet. I just saw [a] quick clip on the internet and what I saw looked bad. I was consulted verbally a couple of years back but was never given a "first draft" copy of the transfer to give my true feedback. It went from words to visuals. The range of interpretation is limitless. The words “cool” or “darker” can be taken in so many ways that without a visual marker to refer to, one can go in any direction. From what I hear the direction taken did not bring pleasing results to many.

Source: http://www.cinemalow...-exclusive.html

#37 of 39 OFFLINE   xclif

xclif

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 09:00 AM

i'm using sony str-dn1000es, can't get sound from any sound field apart from.. "A Direct", can someone help me?

#38 of 39 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 07:11 PM

Here's the DP's reaction to the controversy over this blu-ray. It's worth noting for all future discussions of 'Approved' or 'Consulted' transfers:

FRANK PRINZI: I have to let you know that I haven't seen the transfer on Blu-ray, on a good screen, yet. I just saw [a] quick clip on the internet and what I saw looked bad. I was consulted verbally a couple of years back but was never given a "first draft" copy of the transfer to give my true feedback. It went from words to visuals. The range of interpretation is limitless. The words “cool” or “darker” can be taken in so many ways that without a visual marker to refer to, one can go in any direction. From what I hear the direction taken did not bring pleasing results to many.

Source: http://www.cinemalow...-exclusive.html

Thank you for posting this.

Let's hope Frank Prinzi can get his hands on one of those sold-out limited-editions so he can see the actual transfer. If that should happen I'd like to know if he changes his opinion or reasserts it.

#39 of 39 OFFLINE   EnricoE

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

• 518 posts

Posted December 08 2012 - 11:55 AM

what i don't get is that they didn't reinstated the cut gore scenes. they are labeled as "cut to ensure the r-rating" on the dvd.

#40 of 39 OFFLINE   Greg_D_R

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted December 08 2012 - 01:42 PM

what i don't get is that they didn't reinstated the cut gore scenes. they are labeled as "cut to ensure the r-rating" on the dvd.
I would imagine it's because that cut of the film doesn't exist in anything approaching a final form, much less something that would ever be usable for a high-def transfer. I'm assuming you're referring to the extra gore that was in an early rough cut of the film (I think I have a vhs copy of it somewhere). It's not as if the studio has a finished print of the film sitting around with those scenes intact. Keep in mind too, Twilight Time does not make transfers, they use the transfers that they can get. The scenes (cuts really) that you mention may not exist on film anymore.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users