-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Breaking News: Paramount and Warner Bros. Announce Home Media Distribution Deal

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 of 75 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 09:26 AM

Some random thoughts Is this any different from the deal Warner Bros. has with the Sam Goldwyn company ? People seemed pretty excited about Warner releasing Guy and Dolls , The Best Years of Our Lives, and Hans Christian Andersen on blu for the first time. They were happy that MGM/Fox lost the rights to these pictures. As far as My Fair Lady that unfortunately is a CBS film not Paramount. Not quite sure why Paramount is doing this. They are holding on to the rights to their most popular franchise films like Indiana Jones, Star Trek, Transformers, and probably Mission Impossible so it doesn't appear that Paramount Home Video is disappearing. It will just distribute very few films. I believe Paramount Home Video stayed with Viacom when the company split into CBS Inc and the new Viacom. If CBS owns Paramount Home Video than this deal would make more sense as Paramount was removing many of its films from its former sibling company probably because Warner Bros. offered a better deal. When Warner Bros took over the distribution of the MGM library most of the releases were the same as the previous MGM/UA video releases ( except the Wizard Of Oz which was their first MGM release) I am sure anything that is currently in release via Paramount Home Video will be the same via Warner Home Video. I am sorry that the deal does not include TV rights as I would love to see more Paramount titles on TCM. Since this is only a three year deal and it takes time to restore and/or produce a HD master I would assume anything new to blu ray would already have a HD master ready to go. Things like the Audrey Hepburn films already released in blu in Europe. Since this is a US/Canada deal only, I would assume any blu rays will be region locked. Not a good thing for bargain hunters or seekers of hard to find films. Hopefully somebody somewhere will post a list of the 600 films included in this deal.

CBS owns the rights to everything TV, where Paramount owns the theatrical. The perfect example is Star Trek. CBS owns all the TV shows, where as Paramount owns the feature films. This deal seems to be only with Paramount, so I imagine it will not include any TV product. Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#62 of 75 MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 09:32 AM

You're in for an even BIGGER disappointment as that part of Paramount's classic catalog is currently owned by Universal...Paramount sold it to them 3 decades ago!!!

Well, at least Universal is finally getting some of those movies out on Blu. But that may be the reason Paramount's centennial celebration has been such a bust with just one classic, Wings, getting out on Blu. Ah well.
So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#63 of 75 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,135 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 11 2012 - 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by MattPeriolat 

Well, at least Universal is finally getting some of those movies out on Blu. But that may be the reason Paramount's centennial celebration has been such a bust with just one classic, Wings, getting out on Blu. Ah well.

They have licensed several notable films to Criterion, both from the silent era (Von Sternberg) and 50s-70s (Rosemary's Baby, Harold & Maude, etc.)

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#64 of 75 Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 10:16 AM

You all realize the real reason Warner Brothers is releasing Paramounts library? To have a monopoly on Christopher Columbus themed films: HARE WE GO: A great Bugs Bunny short with Bugs as a shipmate of Columbus THE STORY OF MANKIND: thhere is a Columbus segment CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS: a 1985 Lorimar miniseries THE MAGIC VOYAGE: an animated movie on Warner Home video "True Adventures of Christopher Columbus"- A BBc series CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS: THE DISCOVERY - a WB film from 1992 and Paramounts wondrous 1492: CONQUEST OF PARADISE-the true reason behind this deal-and a great reason And dont forget....Director Christopher Columbus of GREMLINS, GOONIES and HARRY POTTER fame...all WB films!

#65 of 75 Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,411 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 04:54 PM

You're in for an even BIGGER disappointment as that part of Paramount's classic catalog is currently owned by Universal...Paramount sold it to them 3 decades ago!!!

Actually more like five almost six decades ago in the 1950's . The films were sold to MCA before MCA purchased Universal . The films were sold by Paramount to raise money and purchased by MCA to lease to TV. I don't think one studio would knowingly sell their older films to another studio at least not in the 1950's. It was the company that purchased the films that later acquired another studio as was this case or purchaser itself was acquired by another studio as was the case with Associated Artist Productions which purchased most of the pre 1950 Warner Bros films before being purchased by United Artists. UA was later purchased by MGM to form MGM/UA which was purchased by Ted Turner, who sold the studio but kept the Warner Bros, MGM and RKO films that were part of the MGM/UA library . Ted Turner did sell the United Artist films like James Bond with the studio. Then of course Warner bought Turner Broadcasting and the pre 1950 Warner films were at last reunited with post 1950 films and there was much joy in Burbank . We get some great blu rays of 1930 and 1940 Warner Bros films and cartoons.

#66 of 75 ricktech12

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 08:20 PM

You all realize the real reason Warner Brothers is releasing Paramounts library? To have a monopoly on Christopher Columbus themed films: HARE WE GO: A great Bugs Bunny short with Bugs as a shipmate of Columbus THE STORY OF MANKIND: thhere is a Columbus segment CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS: a 1985 Lorimar miniseries THE MAGIC VOYAGE: an animated movie on Warner Home video "True Adventures of Christopher Columbus"- A BBc series CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS: THE DISCOVERY - a WB film from 1992 and Paramounts wondrous 1492: CONQUEST OF PARADISE-the true reason behind this deal-and a great reason And dont forget....Director Christopher Columbus of GREMLINS, GOONIES and HARRY POTTER fame...all WB films!

Good one, haha. I have seen Christopher Columbus: The Discovery and it's average, they tried hard but it seemed so Hollywood and phony. Now 1492: Conquest Of Paradise is probably the best Columbus film ever made imo, it's very realistic, scenic and convincing enough for me. My only complaint is the actual first voyage isn't long enough in the film and it leaves out the return voyage back to Spain. I think if Warner got Scott's 1492 it would be ashame to not release it in the USA on DVD, Blu like Paramount did. Releasing both 1992 Columbus films as a Blu-ray double-feature would be interesting. I saw CC:TD on VHS awhile back, I would give it another shot.

#67 of 75 classicscaper

classicscaper

Agent

• 37 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted December 09 2012 - 09:49 PM

There are literally hundreds of Paramount titles available for pre-order on Amazon. Do an Amazon search of "paramount catalog" under "movies and tv" and you will see then, A good chunk are blu-ray (most reissues) and then some DVDs. Almost all of the titles have a release date of 1/1/13. Also, most of them are in the $10-$15 range. Now is this case of sloppy listings on Amazon's part, or is Warner Bros. really planning to dump hundreds of films into the marketplace on January 13th? If so, I will be interested to see how it turns out, especially at those prices.

#68 of 75 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,652 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted December 10 2012 - 05:01 AM

The Bits says the following (as of last week):

Warner has also begun soliciting many of those catalog titles recently licensed for BD and DVD release from Paramount. Watch for a huge list of them to start arriving in stores on 1/1 on both formats. It doesn't appear to include anything new yet - it look to all be titles that have been previously available.

#69 of 75 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,535 posts

Posted December 10 2012 - 05:32 AM

Any notable OOP titles in those new listings? One so far: Paint Your Wagon (DVD) Edit: A few others of note The Desperate Hours The Parallax View We're No Angels (best deal at $5.95--completely smashes the current OOP prices) Atlantic City Sorry, Wrong Number The DVD prices range from $5.95 - $12.95 Of course the ultra-rare Funeral in Berlin remains ultra rare (in R1)

#70 of 75 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,505 posts

Posted December 10 2012 - 05:33 AM

The Bits says the following (as of last week): Warner has also begun soliciting many of those catalog titles recently licensed for BD and DVD release from Paramount. Watch for a huge list of them to start arriving in stores on 1/1 on both formats. It doesn't appear to include anything new yet - it look to all be titles that have been previously available.

Isn't a bluray release of The Great Gatsby, new?
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#71 of 75 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,652 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted December 10 2012 - 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Richard V 

Isn't a bluray release of The Great Gatsby, new?

I have no clue.  I didn't go title by title to see what was coming.

#72 of 75 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,410 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 10 2012 - 05:49 AM

Yes, The Great Gatsby is new, but a lot of catalog titles released beforehand are coming out again in January.  Those waiting on Zodiac on BRD again have their chance next month.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#73 of 75 MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific Railroad.

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted December 10 2012 - 05:52 AM

How sure are we that the new ZODIAC release will be identical to the old one? I know that the Amazon listing says almost nothing, but the ultra paranoid, Joe-Pesci-in-JFK part of my personality can't help but notice it doesn't say "Director's Cut" like all the other DC releases do.

#74 of 75 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,466 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 10 2012 - 06:05 AM

Plus, Zodiac could be the single disc release (that you can currently get from Amazon.co.uk) instead of the original double-disc release. (I don't know how the content compares, but the single disc seemed to have all the documentaries of the double disc set.)

#75 of 75 MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific Railroad.

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted December 10 2012 - 06:11 AM

I think the original double-disc release had the movie on a disc to itself, and the single disc release has movie and features all on the same disc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users