Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Ella Enchanted -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted October 04 2012 - 08:12 AM

Ella Enchanted, directed by Tommy O'Haver, is a charming fairy tale-ish film, about a very special kingdom, and the problematic enchantment affecting life of one of its inhabitants, young Ella.

Ella is a virtual show-piece for the then 21 year-old Anne Hathaway -- it was her fourth film -- and she's supported by some terrific talent, including Hugh Dancy, Cary Elwes, Minnie Driver and Eric Idle.

Shot on film, and finished in 2k, Ella is a beautiful combination of reality and digital.  The opening sequence traveling over the kingdom sets the stage beautifully, allowing us to get the lay of the land.

While I'm not seeing this as an ultimate adult crowd-pleaser, it serves well in the child to teen category, for which programming is usually a bit thin.

The Blu-ray, rendered from the 2k digital files, is smooth, clean, and totally representative of the original film out.

Audio is Dolby Digital and DTS-HD MA.

One of a handful of newer films that meet the needs of the age group.  Superior entertainment.

Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,670 posts

Posted October 04 2012 - 09:44 AM

I had purchased the Alliance release a few years ago. While I liked the film and its presentation, the disc itself went beyond barebones - no menu and non-marked chapter-stops. Can you tell me if this is a new release, and if these two features are present David

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted October 04 2012 - 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by David Weicker 

I had purchased the Alliance release a few years ago. While I liked the film and its presentation, the disc itself went beyond barebones - no menu and non-marked chapter-stops.
Can you tell me if this is a new release, and if these two features are present
David

Reasonably packed.  Deleted and extended scenes.  Feature commentary with O'Haver, Hathaway and Dancy, and more.

A solid release.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted October 04 2012 - 04:18 PM

I have always really liked this movie and am really glad to see it come to Blu-ray.  Its a great family film.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted October 06 2012 - 09:36 AM

It starts out a little slow, but the second and third acts are quite entertaining (in a corny sort of way).
Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
www.hometheater.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users