Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Goldeneye -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#81 of 83 JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 378 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted October 28 2012 - 11:04 AM

Noted for review later today. Anything else?

I don't think the disc is unwatchable, but throughout, it looks like a very old, over-processed transfer. Textures are frequently smeary. Edge ringing is a recurring problem. Black levels are crushed. The movie needs a new scan.

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#82 of 83 Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 05:24 PM

With the less then positive review this blu-ray is getting, I jumped ahead last night after having seen On Her Majesty's Secret Service, which looked great, to Goldeneye to see what all the fuss was about. I also like Goldeneye. I have the laserdisc and DTS laserdisc from back in the day, 1996 or so. I've seen this movie quite a few times and on the Ultimate Edition and earlier DVD releases. But recently, I've held off watching in anticipation of the blu ray. So I don't have a fresh memory of my last viewing. If there was excessive DNR, I don't know where to look to see it. I'm watching on a 65" plasma rated the best plasma of 2011. It's reasonably calibrated and produces an excellenent image from the best blu-ray releases. So, like the Connery blu-rays I've already seen, Goldeneye to me is looking pretty good! There are close-ups on Brosnan's face where I see lines and stubble. I always look at hair as a good indication. I can see a lot of hair texture and I can see the early few bits of gray hair showing on Brosnan. I've never seen Izabella Scorupco look so good. But perhaps her face was scrubbed from the DNR? If this blu-ray was badly converted, it's technically outside of my knowledge to see it. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. :) The only thing that bugged me during my viewing of this disc was a certain desaturation or some kind of darkness was happening. Like i was wearing sunglasses. The car chase scene with the Aston Martin and Ferrari looked a little like a nightnscene filmed in the day, but made to look like a night shot. But it also looked like an early morning scene. I was thinking maybe the image might look brighter during the Cuba scenes. But it was similarly filtered. I popped in the Ultimate Edition DVD and it looked the same. So it must be the same source. But it looked awful to me after seeing the blu ray! So perhaps this film always looked this way. I agree it had a very weak film score by Serra. Should have convinced John Barry to come back.

Agreed. I watched a bit of Goldneye and didn't see anything glaring. I will give it a full look very soon.

#83 of 83 MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 572 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted February 10 2014 - 07:29 PM

Finally got to Goldeneye in my Bluray viewing (derailed somewhat by a local theatre having a Bond Festival a few months ago.)

Forgot that there were so many problems with this disc, and therefore didn't notice them.

I had taped the Elizabeth Hurley special when it first aired (and realized that I have never watched it again).

Before sending the VHS off to its final resting place I decided to do a side-by-side comparison with the Bluray just in case something had been cut.

I was expecting the Coming Up sequences to be missing, so was pleasantly surprised that they are present.

The VHS ad was unexpected, however it is placed in a ad break than on the KCPQ broadcast that I have.

The closing credits appear to have been completely remade, and are an improvement on the original.

Unfortunately, there is one thing missing: the Simpsons footage has been completely excised, with Hurley's voice-over being repositioned over the Saturday Night Live footage as a result.

So, while the VHS is still being retired, I will have to keep the digital copy I made for my side-by-side comparison.

Also, to respond to an earlier post, my disk contains both the shorter and the extended versions of the gun barrel promo.

• Osato likes this
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users