Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) available for preorder on Amazon

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 of 82 OFFLINE   moviepas

moviepas

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted May 06 2014 - 02:41 AM

Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - Complete Collection (20 disc set) [DVD] Not Dick Van Dyke but due for release in UK on Sept 1 2014 for UK90.00 including VAT.

#42 of 82 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,058 posts

Posted May 18 2014 - 07:37 PM

The complete Series on blu ray is currently $64.99 on amazon...

#43 of 82 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted May 19 2014 - 12:17 PM

This briefly dipped to just under 52 (w/ Prime) a little over a week ago when I was fortunate enough to pick it up.

• Osato likes this

#44 of 82 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,171 posts

Posted May 25 2014 - 11:24 PM

Am watching the S4 episode "Brother Can You Spare $2500?" where Rob loses the only copy of the Alan Brady Show script and then a bum finds it and holds it for ransom.     This episode offers a great example of how much detail Blu-Ray can bring out because when the bum holds up the script and tears off the first page you can actually make out the writing on the script and see that its a copy of the actual episode script with the top line of the second page "Rob Leaps Up And Laura Turns On The Lights" (the episode teaser scene).

• JohnMor and benbess like this

#45 of 82 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts

Posted May 26 2014 - 04:08 AM

POPULAR

I know tens of millions have noticed this before, but Mary Tyler Moore sure is cute in this show.

• Craig S, dana martin, Steve...O and 6 others like this

#46 of 82 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,095 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted May 26 2014 - 08:18 AM

I just watched that episode a couple of evenings ago. One of my favorites of the series. 

The lost and found guy's idea for a tv series probably would work today with the reality tv craze...

#47 of 82 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts

Posted May 27 2014 - 03:14 AM

I'm now reading "The Official Dick Van Dyke Show Book," Revised and Updated Edition, by Vince Waldron. It's available as a Kindle book for $10. Fascinating reading about how this show was launched and put on the air. Recommended for fans of the show. It has mini bios of all the major players in front of and behind the camera.

DickVanDykeShowBook1.jpg

• Osato likes this

#48 of 82 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 06:44 PM

Continuing to watch this show. Really liking most episodes. This is a great blu-ray set that's now available at a very good price.

• Osato and Jack K like this

#49 of 82 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,058 posts

Posted June 24 2014 - 03:43 AM

Continuing to watch this show. Really liking most episodes. This is a great blu-ray set that's now available at a very good price.

I have been watching the show as well. I'm on Season 2. I also am liking many of the episodes.

• benbess likes this

#50 of 82 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,095 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted June 26 2014 - 06:27 PM

Was wondering tonight, just who owns this show now? CBS, the network it originally aired on, doesn't list it in their syndication bible. Did the production company, Calvada or whatever it was, own it? Who owns it today? Dick Van Dyke and the estates of the others? 

#51 of 82 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,333 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 06:50 PM

Distribution rights in different media and different markets varies over time through negotiations, but I believe the show is still actually owned by Calvada Productions, which has retained its corporate existence over all this time. So yes, Dick Van Dyke, Carl Reiner, and the estates of Danny Thomas and Sheldon Leonard still own the show.
  • JohnMor likes this

#52 of 82 ONLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,471 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 26 2014 - 06:51 PM

Yes, Calvada.

#53 of 82 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,095 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted June 26 2014 - 06:58 PM

Two new DVD sets for this show have been announced.

http://tvshowsondvd....-Episodes/19976

Kind of a bizarre setup. Would've made more sense just to have a Halloween themed release and put Uhny Uftz on it which belongs there far more than it does on a Christmas themed set.

If they had, it might even tempt me since I love those four episodes and wouldn't mind having them all together on one disc. Would be worth $5 or so to me despite owning the original DVD's and now the Blu-Ray set as well. 

So yes, Dick Van Dyke, Carl Reiner, and the estates of Danny Thomas and Sheldon Leonard still own the show.

Forgot about Carl Reiner who is of course still with us. :)

Thanks

Who is Paul Brownstein Productions? Just the company that Image hired to handle putting everything together for the DVD's? Haven't really delved into my Blu-Ray set yet and not sure if their logo pops up there at the end of the credits of each episode, but it's definitely there with the original DVD's. 

#54 of 82 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,333 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 08:00 PM

Paul Brownstein is a media producer who has developed a well-earned reputation as the master of DVD special features. He (and his company) research, select, and clear promotional materials, awards show clips, related television clips, and other bonuses from the time of the show in question. They also plan and facilitate new interviews, introductions, and commentaries specifically for the DVD sets. Besides The Dick Van Dyke Show, Brownstein has produced sets of Get Smart, The Twilight Zone, The Odd Couple, You Bet Your Life, The Wild Wild West, Perry Mason, Gunsmoke, Hogan's Heroes, The Phil Silvers Show, and a lot of others. If you have a favorite TV show, he's the guy you want producing the DVDs.

#55 of 82 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 587 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 06:56 PM

That reminds me, I believe one of the properties he had rights to was CPO Sharkey. I always hoped his company might do something with that.

#56 of 82 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,291 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 08:33 PM

The set I ordered last week came in yesterday. :biggrin: Two of The Big River's "Marketplace" sellers are still offering their copies of Mr. Dick Van Dyke's Show for 53.98 (49.99 plus 3.99 Shipping) At that Price you might as well Git 'Em while the Gittin's Good!

The Copy I got looks nice alongside my I Love Lucy and Leave It To Beaver Box Sets

Take my word, you WON'T be disappointed! :thumbs-up-smiley:  :laugh: :rolling-smiley:

Edited by Regulus, June 29 2014 - 03:31 AM.

• Osato and LeoA like this

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 38,106 :biggrin: ( 817 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,426  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#57 of 82 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,404 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 17 2014 - 10:41 PM

I'm not a huge Dick Van Dyke Show fan, but I bought this because it was so cheap on Amazon the other day ($47). My question is, when I look at the episode guide here http://en.wikipedia....Show_(season_1), it differs from the order of the Blu-ray. Is one aired order and one production order? What gives? Thanks. I'd like to learn more about this show. Growing up I always thought it was just an average show filled with a bunch of one-liners at the expense of story and character. Now that I am all grown up, I want to see if it has more to offer. I think it might.

#58 of 82 ONLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,471 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted July 18 2014 - 12:07 AM

POPULAR

The blu-rays are in production order, not air date order.  If I may offer some advice, I would start with season two for at least a disc or two, then go back to season one.  It took a while to find it's footing and I've had friends almost give up on the show with season one. Just my two cents.  I think it's a great series with a lot to offer, especially once it found it's way.

• Osato, jdee28, Carabimero and 1 other like this

#59 of 82 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,404 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 18 2014 - 01:57 AM

Thanks John I appreciate the advice. I'm through the first nine episodes of disc one season one and so far only the flashback episode dealing with how they met really seemed involving to me. I think I will finish off disc one and then try the first disc of season two. Thanks again for your comments.

#60 of 82 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,628 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 18 2014 - 04:45 AM

POPULAR

The Dick Van Dyke Show truly is one of those shows that only got better the longer it ran. Its four wins as Best Comedy Series (well, actually, three wins as Best Comedy Series and one as Outstanding Entertainment Program in the fourth year of the show when the Academy temporarily changed Emmy categories and rules) didn't happen by accident.

• Osato, JohnMor and David_B_K like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users