Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) available for preorder on Amazon

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 of 78 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,279 posts

Posted October 03 2012 - 01:12 PM

Special Features

• TV Academy Tribute to Carl Reiner featuring Dick Van Dyke, George Clooney, Garry Shandling, Ray Romano, Brad Garrett, Paul Reiser, Rose Marie, Larry Mathews and more!
  • 50th Anniversary Q & A with Dick Van Dyke, Carl Reiner and Garry Marshall
  • “It May Look Like a Walnut” Color Test
  • Dick Van Dyke Appearance on The Danny Kaye Show
  • Mary Tyler Moore Appearances on The Danny Kaye Show and The Danny Thomas Show
  • “Kick the Habit” Radio Spot featuring Dick Van Dyke
  • Safety Council Reel
  • Audio Commentaries with Carl Reiner, Dick Van Dyke and many more!
  • “Head of the Family” (Original Series Pilot Episode)
  • The Making of “It May Look Like a Walnut”
  • Rare Rehearsal Footage
  • Interviews with the Cast and Producers
  • Original Commercials with the Cast
  • Original Network Promo Spots
  • Photo Galleries
  • And much, much more!

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 78 ONLINE   MarkA

MarkA

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 12:29 PM

Have there been any reviews of this yet?

#3 of 78 ONLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,529 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted November 19 2012 - 01:49 PM

I paid $67 for the DVD's last year, and still have not watched them all. There's no way I am paying $300 for the blu-rays.

#4 of 78 OFFLINE   Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 402 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 02:36 PM

This show is my alltime favorite sitcom, starring practically my alltime favorite people (ever) -- I would get this bluray set in a nano-second, despite having the excellent dvd season sets -- but that $300 price is an absolute killer.....I was so shellshocked I ended up getting the new "Van Dyke & Company" dvd set instead. Looking forward to Dick getting the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Screen Actors Guild in the New Year -- I wonder if the price may go down around then....?

#5 of 78 ONLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,529 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted November 19 2012 - 02:53 PM

I got the DVD set from an Amazon Gold Box special. I'd keep a close eye there.

#6 of 78 ONLINE   MarkA

MarkA

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 05:09 PM

It's $216 at Deep Discount and I'm willing to pay that if the transfers are that much better.

#7 of 78 OFFLINE   gregstaten

gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 03:53 PM

The transfers really are spectacular. Just startede watching these and holy cow are they gorgeous. Image knocked this one out of the park. I picked it up for under $200 pre-release from Deep Discount and that was my threshold point. (Unfortunately my wife doesn't like the show, but then again that's what an iPad and a good set of headphones are for, right? :) -greg

#8 of 78 ONLINE   MarkA

MarkA

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 04:45 PM

Thanks, I just ordered it from DVD Planet.

#9 of 78 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,288 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 11:51 PM

Greg, thanks for the comments.  Did Image include English Subtitles on the BDs?  The DVDs did not include them.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#10 of 78 OFFLINE   jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,005 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:44 AM

I've been going through the old DVD sets of the series from 9 years ago, and I find the picture quality to still be pretty good.

#11 of 78 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,428 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted November 23 2012 - 10:25 AM

FYI, Barnes and Noble has a great deal for this right now.  The set is on sale for $244.99, plus there is a coupon you can use online or in-store for 30% off that price, which brings it down to $171.49. (With CA sales tax and paying extra for 1-day shipping, I was "out the door" for $198.44.)  And of ourse, if you're lucky enough to have it in-stock at a B&N store near you, you can get an additional 10% off if you're a member.

The coupon is good until 11/25, but I don't know how long the set will be on sale.

The online coupon code is: T9P3E3W.  Here is a link to the printable in-store version: http://www.barnesand...v.asp?pid=45698

Can't wait to get this now.  Just the price I was hoping for, and after having read 2 different reviews, I am so excited to upgrade to blu.

#12 of 78 OFFLINE   Jeff-Wooten

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 12:23 AM

Well unfortunately $$$-wise, I preordered this set back when it was announced thinking there would be some kind of good price drop, which never happened. But since I ended up spending $300 on this set, I guess I really couldn't be happier with the end-result. On my 50-inch DLP, the transfers look absolutely stunning. I've only watched a few of the episodes so far, but I can't imagine a B&W series looking any better than this (although I'd love to see The Andy Griffith Show try, but at a cheaper price). I hope you won't be disappointed. I know I'm not.

#13 of 78 OFFLINE   gregstaten

gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 04:13 PM

Greg, thanks for the comments.  Did Image include English Subtitles on the BDs?  The DVDs did not include them.

Just checked a few episodes and there don't appear to be any subtitles in any language. Not entirely surprising considering the age of the show. Haven't caught DVDS on television lately, but it wouldn't surprise me if the episodes have never been captioned. Not entirely sure what the FCC rules are for captioning of older television shows, but it is not unusual to have no captions on older series. -greg

#14 of 78 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,288 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by gregstaten 

Just checked a few episodes and there don't appear to be any subtitles in any language. Not entirely surprising considering the age of the show. Haven't caught DVDS on television lately, but it wouldn't surprise me if the episodes have never been captioned. Not entirely sure what the FCC rules are for captioning of older television shows, but it is not unusual to have no captions on older series.
-greg

Thank you, Greg. I appreciate that.  This is disappointing that Image didn't correct the lone fault of the original releases.  Age of the show generally doesn't matter, it's whether the releasing studio makes them available.  Image did provide English subtitles for their BDs of the Twilight Zone and CBS/P has subtitled virtually all of their classic releases, including those older than Van Dyke.    On the plus side, it is good to read that those who've seen this say the quality is very good.  B&W in BD can be stunning if the original negatives are used.  I may pick this up down the road if discounted to affordable levels.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#15 of 78 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,445 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 05:05 AM

The set is currently $150.49 at amazon. 57% off list price. http://www.amazon.co...complete series

#16 of 78 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,428 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Garysb 

The set is currently $150.49 at amazon. 57% off list price.
http://www.amazon.co...complete series

GREAT price!

#17 of 78 OFFLINE   Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 402 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 02:40 PM

Gary, you're a saint -- many thanks for posting this link -- indeed, a nano-second after seeing it, I'd ordered the set. This Christmas, Morey Amsterdam's one-liners will be zinging around my place, in competition with James Bond and a dozen or so Alfred Hitchcock pictures (and probably "Lost Horizon") -- ah, this is the life!

#18 of 78 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,177 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted November 27 2012 - 03:08 AM

And, if you are a Amazon Prime member, you get free shipping as well!!!

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#19 of 78 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,428 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 08:43 PM

Received my set today.  WOW!  They do indeed look gorgeous!  And sound great, too!  Unquestionably more than worth the upgrade, especially at the Amazon price, or close to it.  But even if I had paid full price, the difference is staggering.

A few miniscule quibbles (and I do mean miniscule): Unlike the dvds, the version of the DVDS theme that plays over the menus isn't original, although it is a very nice version. Certainly nicer than the usual generic recreated tv show theme version.  And the Filming dates aren't included anywhere, like they were on the dvds, just the Air dates. Not a big deal, but I did like seeing them both on the episode menus.  Neither is a big deal to me, but I mention just in the spirit of completeness.

Man, oh man, THIS is the way to do classic TV on blu-ray!       

#20 of 78 OFFLINE   templar

templar

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 02:32 PM

Excellent news! I ordered this from Amazon as soon as it hit $150! I've seen a few episodes and loved them, so i'm looking forward ot receiving this :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow