Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: Warner Bros. celebrates 90th Anniversary with "Best of Warner Bros." Collections (and MORE in 2013)

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#121 of 129 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted October 16 2012 - 08:18 AM

There is no mystery about this, it is all well documented. There have been numerous examples of this, particularly for the pre-1948 movies. Paramount sold its pre-1948 library to Universal, which still owns most of it. .

Again Universal did not buy anything. Universal was bought by MCA which had previously bought the old Paramount library to lease to TV. When Universal was purchased, MCA added the Paramount films it already owned to Universal films it purchased. That is why Universal now has the rights to the Paramount films.

#122 of 129 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 859 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted October 16 2012 - 10:03 AM

Again Universal did not buy anything. Universal was bought by MCA which had previously bought the old Paramount library to lease to TV. When Universal was purchased, MCA added the Paramount films it already owned to Universal films it purchased. That is why Universal now has the rights to the Paramount films.

I simplified the story a bit, these things are always very complex. Anyway, Paramount sold them and Universal has them now. The story about Warners getting the MGM titles is just as complicated. Turner bought them, then Warners bought Turner.

#123 of 129 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,598 posts

Posted October 16 2012 - 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by rsmithjr 

I simplified the story a bit, these things are always very complex. Anyway, Paramount sold them and Universal has them now.
The story about Warners getting the MGM titles is just as complicated. Turner bought them, then Warners bought Turner.

Complex?

Try figuring out which films are part of the pre-49 deal, or whatever...

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#124 of 129 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,392 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 05 2013 - 06:43 AM

I saw an ad for this on the rental Blu-Ray for Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of The Great Gatsby and was appalled by the picture quality of many of the clips. Cropped, windowboxed, severe pixelation; some of the clips looked like a digital capture of old VHS tapes. Presumably the versions of the films in the actual set don't look this awful, which begs the question: why try selling the public on this set with such careless and lazy presentation?

#125 of 129 ONLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,322 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted October 06 2013 - 08:34 AM

Just wish WB could release Who's Afraid or Virginia Woolf?, KLUTE, some Katherine Hepburn, Bette Davis and many more noirs. Maybe in 2014 :-) 

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#126 of 129 ONLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,672 posts

Posted October 19 2013 - 07:26 AM

Well, we are halfway through October, and it seems the yearlong celebration is already over.

The last two major titles (that were part of the original announcements) I'm aware of were the James Dean box and The Big Parade.

Is ANYTHING planned for the end of the year?

#127 of 129 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,322 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 19 2013 - 10:25 AM

Probably not. The last quarter is packed with the summer movies so the studios don't release a lot of catalog titles against those.

#128 of 129 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,222 posts

Posted October 19 2013 - 11:03 AM

Just wish WB could release Who's Afraid or Virginia Woolf?, KLUTE, some Katherine Hepburn, Bette Davis and many more noirs. Maybe in 2014 :-) 

I really thought we would have seen Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? this year. It was such a groundbreaking film for WB.

#129 of 129 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,258 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted October 19 2013 - 12:52 PM

Well, we are halfway through October, and it seems the yearlong celebration is already over.

The last two major titles (that were part of the original announcements) I'm aware of were the James Dean box and The Big Parade.

There's the 30th Anniversary release of "The Right Stuff"...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users