Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: Warner Bros. celebrates 90th Anniversary with "Best of Warner Bros." Collections (and MORE in 2013)

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#41 of 129 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,636 posts

Posted October 03 2012 - 11:01 PM

Quote:
MGM needs to take back their library that WB currently owns

Really?  That's what you would want?

Do you think MGM would give as much care to that library 

as Warner has?

Say what you will about the way this Anniversary set has

been put together or the multiple dips on some of the MGM

titles....

...however I am quite thankful that WB owns the MGM 

property.  I wish WB owned the rest of the MGM property

so we could see a proper roadshow restoration of

It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World and The Alamo

Warner has done some incredible things with the 

MGM library and I don't believe such care would have

been given to it if MGM actually still owned it.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#42 of 129 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,311 posts

Posted October 03 2012 - 11:36 PM

Really?  That's what you would want? Do you think MGM would give as much care to that library  as Warner has? Say what you will about the way this Anniversary set has been put together or the multiple dips on some of the MGM titles.... ...however I am quite thankful that WB owns the MGM  property.  I wish WB owned the rest of the MGM property so we could see a proper roadshow restoration of It's A Mad Mad Mad  Mad World and The Alamo Warner has done some incredible things with the  MGM library and I don't believe such care would have been given to it if MGM actually still owned it.

Totally agree. The original M-G-M / Turner library has been treated with great care and consummate respect by WB.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#43 of 129 Didier R

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted October 03 2012 - 11:49 PM

From The Digital Bits: Entire Article removed by ownership due to reprinting without permission from author

#44 of 129 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,472 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 03 2012 - 11:59 PM

Thanks for the information.   I was pretty sure that the Warner announcement was just the tip of the iceberg, for what they plan to do.  I expect more announcements to come as "time goes by", for some titles that I heard from an inside person have not been announced.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#45 of 129 Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,407 posts

Posted October 04 2012 - 12:34 AM

Here is a commercial for the two mega box sets on youtube. Are the same films in the 5 Best of Warner Bros 20 movie sets as are in the 100 movie mega set ?

#46 of 129 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,636 posts

Posted October 04 2012 - 12:53 AM

And since Bill Hunt officially announced this...

Quote:
The Wizard of Oz: 75th Anniversary Edition on Blu-ray 3D

The very reason I tried to squelch complaints in another

thread.  I knew that this would be coming and promised
the studio had something worth reinvesting for.  Of course,

some fans will find no value in it.  Others, like myself, will.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#47 of 129 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,602 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 04 2012 - 03:40 AM

Best of Warner Bros. : Looney Tunes 25 Cartoon Collection (July)

Blech. Looks like a pass on the animation front.

since they're bringing back the gangster sets (the ones they discontinued since cataloge titles don't sell at retail anymore, blah blah blah) in bluray. how about a Controversial Classics Volume 3 featuring "The Devils", The Looney Tunes Censored 11, and some other title that would be cool?

I'm in for some more silents too. I'd love to see "Greed" on bluray with the original (for lack of a better word) cut and the 4 hour restoration that sounds unwatchable since it's all still pictures.

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#48 of 129 rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted October 04 2012 - 04:07 AM

Here is a commercial for the two mega box sets on youtube.

Folks, Nothing but nothing will show that special person in your life the true meaning of love more than buying these bloated DVD/Blu-Ray box-sets for them next year. Sure, it may seem as impersonal as giving them a tie and certainly takes not even a whiff of creativity .... but c'mon ... when you drop one (or both) of these babies in his lap on Christmas day ... he'll know two (2) things for certain. (1) You spent some cash on that sucker and (2) he won't be coming 'round for any sex that night while you're exhausted having made dinner and making polite mindless small talk with his family. And isn't that what the holidays are about?

#49 of 129 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,020 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted October 04 2012 - 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Harris 

Totally agree.
The original M-G-M / Turner library has been treated with great care and consummate respect by WB.

Especially Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz.  And Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz again.  And Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz again.  Again. Posted Image

#50 of 129 David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,453 posts

Posted October 04 2012 - 05:24 AM

I don't understand why you people keep calling it the WB 90th Anniversary Set. We all know its just the 2013 Casablanca Box (with 49 extras) :D David

#51 of 129 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted October 04 2012 - 05:24 AM

Even at a 50% discount, I can't see many casual fans splurging on these sets when most of the already released titles can be had under $10 with a little patience. I hope Bridges of Madison County gets added to the Blu list along with the not mentioned Wind and the Lion (I know, not WB). The rest? Well...

#52 of 129 David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,453 posts

Posted October 04 2012 - 05:54 AM

For myself, I am waiting for the following Blu-Rays from WB. Dancing Lady Flying Down To Rio The Gay Divorcee Roberta Top Hat Follow The Fleet Swing Time Shall We Dance A Damsel In Distress Carefree The Story Of Vernon And Irene Castle Broadway Melody Of 1940 The Sky's The Limit Ziegfeld Follies Yolanda And The Thief Easter Parade The Barkleys Of Broadway Three Little Words Royal Wedding The Belle Of New York The Band Wagon Silk Stockings Finian's Rainbow I've bolded the titles I feel are likely to get an upgrade (based on either prior WB chats or having gone through Ultra-Resolution). As of now, none of Fred Astaire's 31 musicals have been released on Blu-Ray in the US (Funny Face and Daddy Long Legs have been released in Europe). 29 have had an official DVD release (3 from the WB Archives). Of the other two, one is PD (Second Chorus) and one just hasn't shown up (Let's Dance). WB owns 21 of his films. I'm hoping, since this is an anniversary, that things improve for Astaire fans. (and for the record, I do own the That's Entertainment Trilogy, The Towering Inferno, and Santa Claus Is Coming To Town on Blu - his only Hi-Def representation so far) David

#53 of 129 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,365 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 04 2012 - 06:03 AM

Anyone else notice that the blue sticker in the BD box set ad says "Blu-Ray" in tiny dim letters and "ULTRAVIOLET" in big bright ones?
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#54 of 129 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,602 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 04 2012 - 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman 

Anyone else notice that the blue sticker in the BD box set ad says "Blu-Ray" in tiny dim letters and "ULTRAVIOLET" in big bright ones?

Well nothing sells catalog releases like a piss poor digital copy. that's the world we live in right? Convenience over quality and all that? Posted Image

This post kills threads!

#55 of 129 Oliver Siegel

Oliver Siegel

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted October 04 2012 - 06:26 AM

Why the hell ROARING 20'S and ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES aren't included in Original Gangsters collection???Wtf Warner?

#56 of 129 SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts

Posted October 04 2012 - 06:52 AM

Excited for the Mad Max set! I've held off on getting those films on Blu until Beyond Thunderdome was released. Hopefully there will be some new bonus material as well.

#57 of 129 bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 460 posts

Posted October 04 2012 - 06:52 AM

I was really hoping for GYPSY on blu-ray in 2013.

#58 of 129 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,602 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 04 2012 - 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by SD_Brian 

Excited for the Mad Max set! I've held off on getting those films on Blu until Beyond Thunderdome was released. Hopefully there will be some new bonus material as well.

I just picked up Mad Max this weekend to go with my copy of Road Warrior, so you're welcome! :P

This post kills threads!

#59 of 129 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,034 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 04 2012 - 07:12 AM

The Big Parade!!!!!

Most exciting news (amongst a lot of exciting news) here, IMO.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#60 of 129 David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,453 posts

Posted October 04 2012 - 07:21 AM

Why the hell ROARING 20'S and ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES aren't included in Original Gangsters collection???Wtf Warner?

I just read the Digital Bits full story, and it does say 'part of', so possibly the other two films from the original DVD set are included (just not called out). David Also, I noticed that Easter Parade is at least listed as TBA, so for me, that is a tiny step in the right direction. (missed that in my first read through)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users