What's new

Got My Samsung 55ES7100 and Oppo 93 Running (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The TV came today and the Oppo yesterday. Both are hooked up and running. I'm running with factory settings, except for the "soap opera effect" where everything looks like video and not film. I found a suggestion for that. In Auto Motion Plus I set it to "clear" and that has helped.
I popped in a 3D move, the honor of first movie on the new system going to Journey to the Center of the Earth. Put a battery in one of the glasses, pushed the little connect button, and 3D is engaged. There was depth and when that little trilobite waves his antenna there is definitely an in your face factor. :)
Haven't got wifi setup yet. I guess that's next.
For the brief time I wore the glasses, despite being very light, I thought they might be a bit uncomfortable. Has anyone got recommendations for good glasses that are good for someone who wears prescription glasses? Be nice if they weren't too expensive and if Amazon carried them since I've got a credit there.
If anyone has any pointers or suggestions for a 3D newbie and an Oppo newbie, please chime in.
The one bad experience is with the delivery and setup, only one guy and he had no idea how to put the stand on. The instructions say to put the stand together before removing the TV from the box. Thanks for that as we had already removed the TV. The small diagrams in the instructions made it difficult to tell what was front and rear on the stand. I give Samsung a big fail on that.
The guy had to call his supervisor because it was taking too long and the boss said all he was supposed to do was get the thing powered on. I wasn't going to allow that until it was on the stand. So we got the stand on and powered on and I signed the forms. There was a questionnaire which had questions like: were there two delivery people (no); were all the functions of the TV verified (no). That was an interesting question since he was "only supposed to power it on."
I'm going to update Amazon about the delivery, it didn't qualify as white glove, in my opinion. And no, I don't expect white gloves.
Can't wait for The Creature.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This thing must have some light sensor making the screen go dark. It was looking good, but turned off a light and the screen gets dark. Turned light on but room is getting darker as sun goes down so screen is still to dark.
Anyone know what that setting is?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Congrats on a solid upgrade, hope that eco sensor was the culprit. Really theres only two settings I can think of you need to make sure of. The first is the video output, make sure the primary is set to HDMI1. This ensures youre using the best video processor the 93 has to offer. Pretty sure its the factory default but double-check as you cruise the menus. If the primary video is set to HDMI2 or analog both the hdmi outputs and analog output use the secondary video processor, might as well make sure you are using the best :) And then I think there is also a 3D setting to input your exact screen size, obviously you should be setting that to your new TV size. Oppo customer service is awesome and if you call you will be connected with a human being immediately after a few basic touch-tone-teller selections, extremely helpful folks if you have any questions at all.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
yup, the eco sensor fixed the screen dimming problem. I appreciate the pointers on HDMI1. Since I think my receiver probably doesn't support 3D, I knew I would have to feed an HDMI out directly to the TV for 3D. The Oppo manual actually had a section on that where I discovered I should use HDMI1 for the TV and HDMI2 for the receiver for the sound. How about that a manual that is written to be helpful.
I've now watched Journey to the Center of the Earth and Beauty and the Beast. To my surprise I have not found either movie to be dark at all. In the theater, i'm used to the movie being a bit darker than one would like because of the glasses. But at home, so far, the brightness seems normal. Secondly, it's my impress that the 3D is better than I remember in the theater. Or is it just that I'm a newbie in home 3D?
I'm really eager to get Avatar and Creature from the Black Lagoon.
I'm getting a video effect on at least some of what I watch DTV. If I tune in TCMHD, the movies look like video and not film. Gotta tinker with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks