What's new

Subwoofer help!! (1 Viewer)

Cherm2222

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Hello everyone, I have purchased everything in my home theater so far except for the sub. What I have coming at the moment :
DENON AVR-1912
Polk CSi A4 center
Polk monitor 70's front
Polk monitor 40's back
Now for the sub I've been reading and reading and going back and forth and now I'm even more confused than when I started. The room it would go in is in the basement which is pretty large and would be for about 80% movies 20%music. The subs I've come across that fall into my budget the best are the BIC pl-200, Polk PSW505, HSU STF-2, and the Lava LSP12.
Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Cherm2222

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Ok. My next question would be since it is a large room how much of a difference would there be between a 10in vs 12in woofer?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Always go large.
The STF is arguably more musical...but I've never heard a complaint from anyone on the BIC F12/VK12/PL200 (technically all the same sub).

Cherm2222

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Yea that's what I'm reading.
Do you guys know anything about the New Cadence CSX12 MkII ? How do you think that would compare to some of what I listed?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
But to answer your question. (And mine, sometime in 2010/11)
Cadence makes good stuff. Is this sub worth $400? Eh, well...maybe???
About 15-18 years ago they were kicking ass and taking names in car audio.
A subwoofer in your trunk...vs one slapped in a box and put in the corner of your room isn't much of a stretch.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Cadence started a few years ago but their lines of home theater products never took off. Until I use it or at least read about it on a reputable forum then I'm not going to recommend it. Basically, I'll only recommend what I would buy myself.
I did a Google search and there's one review on Audioholics. It's good but there are no measurements and I have no idea what the guy had before so there's nothing to compare it to.
BIC has been tested thoroughly over the last few years and it is still the best value in the $200 range. Heck, I can't build a good sub for that little. DIY doesn't start to be a value until you hit the $400 range.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I know Cadence has a good following in the car stereo arena but I bought a pair of their HT speakers a couple of years ago. Here's what I thought about them (have the children leave the room).
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/299121/cadence-speakers
Ouch!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks