What's new

Infinity Hts-10 + Sony Receiver Model Str De545 setup?? (1 Viewer)

David Wu

Auditioning
Real Name
Davidw
I just started to build my home audio system and bought an infinity hTS-10 5.1 speaker system plus SONY RECEIVER MODEL STR DE545.
The rear speaker wire outputs from my receiver are bad. Sometimes they have sound sometimes not. Any idea how to fix them?
If not, can I use RCA outputs from the receiver and transform to speaker wires to my speakers?
Also, I'm looking for wires with best value/low cost, cables for this system. I'll need 5 wires for speaker and 1 wire for my sub woofer.
i did some research and found some speaker wires at home depot cost around $9 18g $18 16g both 50'. My questions is does it really make a difference between 16 and 18 gauge?
Also, I see there's an option to connect the rear satellite from the sub woofer. what's different than connecting the rear satellite from the receiver?
Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Fixing an AVR these days is usually futile. (based on cost) (There is one on Fleabay with the remote and owners manual, with free shipping, for $120)
No. The RCA are "line level", there is no power for speakers.
16 and 18 gauge are BARE MINIMUM. I usually use 14, sometimes even 12.
Option to connect Satellite from the subwoofer? What does that even mean?
And since I have no clue what you are talking about...I haven't the slightest idea. I've seen a picture of the back of this AVR and have absolutely zero idea where this "connect satellite from subwoofer" even comes from.

David Wu

Auditioning
Real Name
Davidw
Actually my brother bought this wire as a gift. Is it usable? How do I identify which is + and -?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monster-Cable-XPHP-CI-100-100ft-Spool-speaker-wire-cable-CL3-brand-new-1-length-/400313536025?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item5d348bce19

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Also, I see there's an option to connect the rear satellite from the sub woofer. what's different than connecting the rear satellite from the receiver?
Connecting speakers to the sub instead of the receiver is usually not a good idea because it prohibits auto-calibration and makes ajustment more convoluted. But it works, so if your receiver has a bad speaker connector that would be a good work-around.
Actually my brother bought this wire as a gift. Is it usable? How do I identify which is + and -?
I didn;t see where Sam got 14g either, but it's pretty think, so it's definitely not 16g or 18g. It will work fine.
There is no actual +/- on the wire, just make sure you connect the same wire to the same connector on the each end. Manufacturers have a few approaches to help you do that - the wire could be color coded, the wire might have one side a different shape (one rounded and one square), and sometimes one side is smooth and one side is serrated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
IT is called a "Google search"...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/289981-REG/Monster_Cable_103188_XPHP_Clear_Jacket_CL.html
BH Photo, a very reputable seller, calls it 14ga. Which for that much money, it should be 10ga.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks